Thread: POW Fishing trip (HELP)

Question POW Fishing trip (HELP)

Been reading the Forum for awhile and gathering info. for a trip to AK. We visited AK 25 (Kenai/Soldotna area) years ago and have wanted to come back for a long time. Decided that POW would be good area to visit for our second trip. We want to be able to move around and see the island as much as possible; yet bring back fresh fish for the family. We can plan our trip for July 1 or early August for five days on the Island. Is there any overlap of the King and Coho run in the saltwater? Any recommendations for who to use for one or two day charter would be appreciated. (We are on a limited budget so need to take cost of charter and lodging into consideration.)

Quote Originally Posted by jrbuck View Post
    Been reading the Forum for awhile and gathering info. for a trip to AK. We visited AK 25 (Kenai/Soldotna area) years ago and have wanted to come back for a long time. Decided that POW would be good area to visit for our second trip. We want to be able to move around and see the island as much as possible; yet bring back fresh fish for the family. We can plan our trip for July 1 or early August for five days on the Island. Is there any overlap of the King and Coho run in the saltwater? Any recommendations for who to use for one or two day charter would be appreciated. (We are on a limited budget so need to take cost of charter and lodging into consideration.)

First week of August is usually prime time for fishing and limits of kings/cohos/halibut are expected. Last summer wasn't normal and Non-Residents were not allowed to keep kings that time of the year, but the coho fishing was great. Not sure what our King abundance will be yet, and if the F&G will let Non-Res keep kings later in the season. With a limit of 6 cohos a day per person, you can still bring home a load of fish if you can't bring home king salmon. Halibut, lingcod, yelloweye, and rockfish are also great to bring home.

Go to the Prince of Wales Chamber of Commerce and look in the business directory. Lots of cheap options for lodging. Lots of knowledgeable captains fish out of Craig/Klawock.

Wink POW

Last year was my first trip to POW and my 11th year in a row to fish AK. I have already booked for Craig for 2009. My experience was one of the best if not the best to AK for both salmon and halibut. Shoot me a PM and I will tell you what I know (and don't know).

Default Here is an option

Try this website. They set you up with lodging, vehicle, and boat.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

Default Craig-Klawock

If your coming to POW fish the west side! Caught 2 kings today! Crab, shrimp all within a 30 minute drive of the slip. Craig-Klawock is the place to be. Have all kinds of info. pm me if you would like.

Thanks for the info. Been gathering information and may move trip to August 2 to 11 not that one week will make that much differance. Found some lodging for $95 to $130 night. Guides are $250 day from what information I have been to get. Any perticular guide that you would recommend?
    Thanks
    Joe Reid
    Houston, TX.
    713 937-8434 office

Thumbs up

I Just wanted to say that you made an excellent choice choosing the POW area for your trip. I lived in Wrangell through most of the 90's and fished and hunted that area kinda hardcore. I ferried my vehicle over, and drove to Coffman Cove where I rented a cabin for a week of blacktail hunting. Had a great time. Also caught a 300 lb. halibut not too far from Coffman Cove. We used to anchor up over the top of humps, drop the downriggers with the salmon rods, and fish for big halibut and kings at the same time. One of my good friends caught a 57 lb king, as well. The tide would run so hard that you didn't have to worry about your gear fouling, and it was always fun fighting a 100 lb. + halibut on 30 lb. test in heavy current. By the way.....I don't know if you hunt or not, but deer hunting opens August 1, and the cost of a non-res. license for blacktail won't break the bank. Lots of good do-it yourself hunts if you're in shape and can get up to the tops of the mountains, where the bucks are. Anywayz...i'll stop rambling. I miss that place.

The west coast is great ..... I'm not sure of the $250 per day guides you are refering to. Most charter vessels get $1000+ per day. So I guess if you hook up with 3 other fishermen that would be $250.

There are a few that book single fishermen and go when they have 4 lined up. But not that many that I am aware of. Otto Green was one out of klawock but i'm not sure if he is doing it any more. I guess you could alway check aroound and see if any Vessels have room the day you want to go. Sometimes that works.

Most packages are room and board and fishing type packages, for various amonts of days.

But with bookings being down this coming season for some of the Charter boys you never know whats going to be up.