Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Line for Halibut

Default What Line for Halibut

Getting ready to send my son a 113H and 114H reel I just refurbished. Both have metal spools. What weight, type or brand do you recommend I put on these before I send up your way? Thanks!

Default line

80# power pro is all you need!

160# Spectra
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Dipnet,

I agree....But what line you use depends on a lot of things. If you fish deeper water, say over 200 feet and there is a strong tidal influence, think thin! Otherwise, it will be a very frustrating experience.

Water with little tidal influene a person can sucessfully use dacron 80 in very deep water. Like the thinner super braids, hook sets are firm. I have a reel or two with it. It is fine in Seward, horrible in CI during the tides because of how much thicker their diameter is.

Thinking mono? I won't say forget it, but after 150 feet deep or so it is very challenging to set a hook with it thanks to all that stretch. Yet, many people use it when bait fishing off the bottom. I have too. But, would rather not....

My favorite bottom fishing? That is to find halibut down near Deep Creek, Homer, and other areas in CI is to use a downrigger to fish for halibut. I do not troll with them. I just use them to take my way too light tackle to the bottom. When the fish inhales the bait, I reel the downrigger ball up really fast as the fish has pulled off the downrigger clip. This way you are not fighting hardly any weight. It is fun. Also, with the downrigger, it really doesn't matter all that much how fast the tide flows either. I think everyone should give it a try. Of course, when you can't find them shallow, you are not going to be able to do this and it is no fun trying either.

Default 80 pound max (160? WOW)

Wanna see a grown man cry. Watch him try to break 120 pound line and have the rod slip out of his hand, more like shoot out of his hand. A custom Gary King Alaskan Special.

I won't use any line heavier than 80# now. It will bring in 200+ pound buts. At least I can break it off when needed. Plus the thinner diameter makes life easier at depth.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

If you accidentally bury the drag with 160# YOU WILL BE pulled from the b oat by anything over 100#s. I`ve seen this happen and has happened to me in Florida....80 # will take anything on the planet if you have a skipper with half a brain. That said I run 80 dacron on my heaviest rod followed by 65# braid on my heavy jigging rod followed by 14# mono when I`m feeling goofy....something about fishing 350' with 14# mono that gets your blood pumping. I took a 60# skate with it and had no fear of losing it...that`s what drag is for. On a side note, make sure you get 900-1,000' on the reel in the event of a bad break, this way you can continue to fish at 300-400'.

I use 85 lb test P-Line Spectrex on all three of my Penn 320GT2's and have not had a single problem. It has provided solid hooksets on everything from large halibut to small rockfish. If you set your drag properly, you shouldn't have an issue with getting a rod ripped from your hands (fish will pull line instead of the rod). I have my drag set pretty tight, so I usually only start losing line on the big guys. This is of couse only true when you have your hands firmly planted on the rod. Is it just me, or does it seem that you get the monster bites at just the moment you stop paying attention, like when lighting a smoke or start messing with the electronics? I swear the fish have lookouts down there...they're like "wait...wait...wait...Quick, his phone's ringing! Take that herring now!".

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I use 85 lb test P-Line Spectrex on all three of my Penn 320GT2's and have not had a single problem. It has provided solid hooksets on everything from large halibut to small rockfish. If you set your drag properly, you shouldn't have an issue with getting a rod ripped from your hands (fish will pull line instead of the rod). I have my drag set pretty tight, so I usually only start losing line on the big guys. This is of couse only true when you have your hands firmly planted on the rod. Is it just me, or does it seem that you get the monster bites at just the moment you stop paying attention, like when lighting a smoke or start messing with the electronics? I swear the fish have lookouts down there...they're like "wait...wait...wait...Quick, his phone's ringing! Take that herring now!".

That`s truely when the action happens.

Put enough dacron or heavy mono backing on the reel that so that a 300 yard shot of 80lb spectra fills it up. It will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Put enough dacron or heavy mono backing on the reel that so that a 300 yard shot of 80lb spectra fills it up. It will work great.
    Very true. This also helps the spooled braided line bite down when under extreme load. I have my reels spooled at the beginning of each season at Sportsman's Warehouse, and they always start them off with dacron. I like having them do it because they will only charge you for what they put on the spool. It always turns out cheaper than buying the boxes of line, plus, they do the labor for free!

Default I Agree With Vek

If you have enough backing on your spool - your 300 yds of PowerPro 80 should completely fill the spool. Then when checking bait at 300 feet or more it's no big deal because it will come up at a manageable speed. Last year I switched half of my deep reels over to the red-colored PowerPro because it is less visible at depth (even though I don't think this is an issue when fishing for butts). It has turned out to be helpful because with two different colors it was easier to get tangles cleared when you had two lines wound around each other. Good Luck.

80# Power Pro is great stuff. If you don't like it or don't use it, don't be too concerned about diameter. Halibut aren't leader shy at all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How important is brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    How important is brand name?
    Important usually due to the fact that materials and workmanship are what will set certain companies apart from others. It's sort of like having a Honda instead of a Daewoo. Sure, both are foreign and both are cars, but one is an engineering masterpiece and the other is just a piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Important usually due to the fact that materials and workmanship are what will set certain companies apart from others. It's sort of like having a Honda instead of a Daewoo. Sure, both are foreign and both are cars, but one is an engineering masterpiece and the other is just a piece of crap.
    Which one is the piece of crap?

80#-130# Tuffline XP as thin as it gets and incredibly strong. In the tides of cook inlet the thinner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Which one is the piece of crap?
    I figured that was coming as soon as I hit submit...

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i use 80 pound power pro and have NO complaints. i tend to not think TOO in depth about this kind of stuff, fishing is supposed to be fun. the 80 pound power pro is tough and thin. if you are a big man with alot of energy and really want to wrestle with them then just loosen the drag a bit. theres also not much sense in filling your whole spool with this stuff as its spendy. put on 600 feet and most people will not even get close to there backing fishing butts or lings.

I used to use 80# powerpro but have now switched to 50#. I have not had a problem landing fish since the switch and I spend a lot less time in the penalty box trying to break it off when I hook a chunk of our fair state.

I have used Power Pro, Stren Superbraid as well as Spiderwire and all have worked well on the great lakes. I think all three are great lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast