Thread: wooly bugger color

Default wooly bugger color

What is your favorite color pattern when buying/tying these flys. I was buying material to tie some regular olive ones, but accidently bought black hackle instead of olive. I tied a few up with that and it looks pretty good to the eye. Have you guys used that color pattern before iwth any sucuess?

I like olive, olive, olive, olive, olive, olive, and olive But most all my fishing has been for dollies and grayling in NW. One of my most productive flies is a #2 beadhead olive wb. I would not take a float trip without them.

My fav is on the bottom right here...

These on the bottom left are half/half white/purple and white/olive with pink painted heads. Awesome flies!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Talking

I like black, peacock and brown, ginger and black, white, mylar and white, white and grizzly, chartruse and black, battle creeked, olive, olive and black, orange and white, pink, white and blue, purple, purple and yellow, black and olive.... etc.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Haha, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here....most colors are going to be productive no matter what. I get it. BTW, nice fly box organization you got there. I've never had mine lookin like that.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    most colors are going to be productive no matter what. .
    No, if most colors were productive no matter what I'd wouldn't carry more than one or two colors. I find species, water type, water leval, time of year, and food sources call for a lot of variation in wooly bugger types and sizes.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Bugger color

Black, olive or any natural color will definetly work good.

As mentioned before, to determine what color will be productive, look into the type of forage and type of fish available.

A good tip might be to match the color of lake or river, then experiment with other colors and sizes. Hope this helps!

T/L

When you think about what the fish are actually eating in most rivers in Alaska, it makes sense that olive works well. The slimy sculpin are very well spread throughout Alaska and at many times of the year, are the only meal around. Looking at the below pic, what color woolly bugger would you tie on?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Nice trophy!

Hey Dan, nice pic and post. I agree with you, although I like a mottled black and olive or brown and olive. I've caught many sculpins that were mottled with all three of these colors.

If I weren't such a purist snob, I'd love to stick a hook through that sculpin and see if I could get a hawg to eat it!

That's a big sculpin. Did you have it mounted?

Not my pic, got it from hours on Google.

Had a bunch tied up to feed trophy dollies on the Wulik this past Sept in NW. Paid a fortune for these custom tied flies to my own specs. Took 4 dozen in 6 different patterns. Fished a dammed purple esl the whole time Works so good it is boring. But I could not take it off the line. Like riding by a car wreck, you don't want to look, but you still do. Maybe next time....

Default All of the above?

1. Lifelike colors/patterns matter. Mostly, I tie flies to resemble trout food.
    2. But trout brain might sample items for "food-like movement", or "food-like shape" or have some other signal for striking.

I've fished leech patterns in dark purples and dark greens, - tied in flash or a sparkle chenille collar to attract fish - but not look more lifelike.

Trout will hit a yellow bunny fly, or a yellow/orange speckled purple/blue globug (Jerry Garcia) or a purple leech. Not sure why.

The guy who taught me tied his Wooly Buggers in different weights. Each weight it's own color: like 5 lead wraps might = olive, 10 lead wraps = brown, 15 lead wraps = purple, so he could quickly change to a heavier or lighter WB depending on the pool or current he was fishing. It made it easier for him to adapt as he moved up or down a stream. He didn't think it was so important to offer a trout or salmon a specific color.

Steve and I fished the Anchor one year when brown leeches really did seem to work better than other dark colors. Go figure. But it's hard sometimes to tell if it works because I'm using it, or I'm using it cause it works. In low light conditions though, dark patterns seem to work better to me.

Here's a sculpin from the Anchor - not sure how he got on my hook this way! Eased him off the hook though and he swam off pretty frisky.