Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas tents. Which one?

Question Cabelas tents. Which one?

I am going to buy a tent. Have any of you used the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Model or the Outfitter Series XWT? Any comments would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

Default guide model 6 man

I have this model and have used it on fly-in hunts and it performs very well. It has seen over a foot of snow one night, 50+mph winds and rain. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if anything happened to it. The extreme vestibule is GREAT also.

One thing about it is you can not place it right on top of a mountain, be smart about where you put it as it is not a mountaineering tent.

Thumbs up 4 Season tent

Hello,

I just went through this a month or two ago. I was set on buying a cabelas alaskan guide tent but decided on going with a 4-person Eureka Assault Outfitter tent. I talked to a few dealers in the lower 48 and decided to go with the Eureka because of it's compactness. We took the tent on a week long hunt out of Kotzebue and I do not have any complaints about the tent or its performace. We had cool windy and rainy weather and the tent did not budge nor did anything inside get damp. Actually, when we set the tent up there was a small depression under the floor liner that I did not notice and when we broke the tent down the depression was filled with water. I could not believe that it did not soak through the floor liner. The best thing about the the tent was that I got a steal of a deal on it through ebay. I think I paid just under $230 with shipping to Alaska. Unforntunatley, I just checked ebay and there are not any listed at this time. Amazon.com has them starting at $306 thats is a little pricey if you ask me. If you can afford to wait a bit keep checking ebay and I am sure you can get one for a decent price. I think the packing weight of this tent is 13 pounds and it fits nicely inside of my pack. The Cabelas Alaskan Guide tents seem to be a little more bulky. I seen some of the 6 person models and there was no way they were going to fit inside of a pack. Anyway, I definatley recommend the Eureka Assault Outfitter tent. It proved itself to me on our trip and it's light weight and very sturdy for a 4-season tent. I am now confident with taking it on any of my hunting trips up here.

Default Cabelas backs up your purchase

I have sent my Cabela's 6 man guide model back 2 times, and at no charge have recieved a new one, new poles, and rain fly.
    Several years ago I bought my first one with the Aluminum poles and took it on a float trip over on the Alaska peninsula.
    with only a small thicket of Alders and Willows to protect us, the 80 mph winds tore the tent up. bent the Aluminum poles and wore holes in the fly.
    The same storm tore up and flipped a plane that was tied down at the King Salmon Airport. Two planes were damaged so bad they were not able to fly over in Naknek too.
    I sent the tent back to Cabela's and told them what happened. I got a new tent back. I recieved a phone call from the people that designed the Guide model and they had set up my damaged tent to see what failed.
    I told them to just put the tent in a wind tunnel and fire it up to 80 mph with gust a little higher and then add a fire hose aimed it on full to recreate the event.
    I don't use either one of my Guide models anymore because I do mostly float trips and they are not easy to set up in rain and take down and then set up again each day.. their are different brands and models that set up take down alot faster..these models will keep you dry and hold up in the rough weather,,( I have a Eureka that I really like now) but I would take the guide model with me for drop camps etc. where I was camping in one spot for a week or longer at a time. I sent the newer Guide model back once too due to rub holes in the material from high winds over a 3 day event on a different trip..
    My next door neighbor bought the other tent you suggested from Cabelas, ( can't remember the name) .. I think he got the 4 man...and he uses it on the Haul road etc. He is a road side camper and he likes it ok. He bought the kit that you can get to set it up in the rain.
    I have sent one of my Guide models over to Kodiak with a friend of mine on two different spring Bear trips and he said it is the cats meow for those trips. He stays in the tent for 2 weeks at a time and enjoys the room and the ability to stand up, Also when set up properly, with a drop cloth underneath, you can really stay dry in really rainy trips.. like Kodiak and the Peninsula..
    I have the big Vestibule for both tents and they are really nice. But,,
    Now I just set up a little two man tent to throw gear into to keep it dry and out of my tent rather than use the vestibule. The Vestibule has no floor in it and comes only with the flimsy fiberglass poles. (these failed first on the big wind trips,,)
    Anyway... I give Cabelas a thumbs up for good gear and warranty..
    if you don't like it for any reason..send it back... they are always good for it... I also would not buy the tent unless I got the Aluminum poles.. that makes it lighter and like twice as strong than the Fiberglass ones...
    As for picking one over anouther??? My neighbor Bob says he can't tell the difference. He has stayed in both mine and is his.. lots of room, and dry....
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 10-02-2006 at 20:09.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up XWT

I have an XWT. We just returned from a float trip. The tent performed great. The weather was very mild and there was little wind. This tent looks as if it could take a lot. It was really confortable. We liked the ability to put the fly on the frame and then set up the tent inside the fly. That ability would be great in the rain. The vestibules were a welcome part of the tent. The down side is that it is heavy--about 65 pounds for the large one. It also takes about 45 minutes to set up. We certainly look forward to more trips using the XWT. If weight is not a problem, I recomend it highly.

I have the 4 person Guide series tent.

I went on a Caribou hunt and had a friend stay in the tent with me. We had a HH-60 helicopter land 75 feet from it for a medivac, and the tent didn't even budge. It had rained 7 out of 8 days, was mostly nasty and there wasn't a bit of water inside the tent.

That was the second trip with rain...the first was Talkeetna and King fishing. Had my wife and 3 year old inside...never a problem one and it rained 6 out of 7 days.

I have the Alaska Guide Series with the extra vestibule. It performed VERY well and didn't leak, sweat or have a ANY problems. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Hands down...you won't go wrong with the Guide series with the lightweight aluminum poles.

Red face Thanks

Sounds like the guide model is bought more often. I like the big vestibule over the XWT's but the XWT looks like it could take more punishment. When shopping from the comforts of home the a $100 dollars more seems like a lot, but, when out in the boonies at 2 a.m. with 50 to 60 knot winds with rain, sleet, and whatever else I'd pay $1000.00 more.

Default Wind

We used the guide model cabelas in the tundra the last two years I went caribou hunting. And I went out and bought one myself shortly after the first season when it poured every night and there wasn't a hint of water inside the tent. The second trip the wind completley colapsed our tent on us (folded it right over on one side right to the ground) and when the gust let up it popped right back up (fiberglass poles) My brother held up the sides of the tent with his arms from the inside as I went out in the dark and fastened down the fly wires (which should have been done in the first place, just nver needed them before) The wind gusted to 75 MPH that night and the tent was perfect in the AM same wind the next night and same results minus the folding of the tent.
    The 4 person tent is plenty large enough for 4 to sleep in while out for a weekend and pleant large enough for 2 to live in for as long as you like.
    I'd buy another one in a second if something happened to this one. Also there is loads of ventalation on these tents and the new ones even have flip down cup holders I don't know anything about the other one as I've never used it, but this tent is worth every penny.
    Justin

Default XWT

I bought the Denali XWT about 3 years ago and I really like it. It sets up fast once you know the ins and outs. It weighs a little bit because of the super strong aluminum poles. The rain fly and tent have a nice system that keeps it fastened together with super strong buckles to withstand the elements. Mine came with super tough tent spikes for the tent which could run over the 60.00 price on their own if bought separately. I own several different tents for different types of hunts. Like lighter weight for the canoe and a 10 x 12 wall tent for a base camp. The XWT works well for the power boat and areas you take a vehicle in to.

I bought the 12x12 XWT tent this year. We've only used it once and it didn't blow hard or rain hard but it is a comfortable tent. at home we practiced setting it up until we could do it in about 15 minutes. It took us several times to have it down...but it came in handy when we had to set it up in the dark with flashlights. (took longer than 15 minutes) I also bought the pitch kit option where you put down the ground cloth, put up the poles, put the fly on and then hang the tent from inside so it doesn't get wet. This came in handy when it was raining as we set it up. Oh ya, we also got the clip in floor liner, that was really good to keep stuff off the tent floor.

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    Hello,

I just went through this a month or two ago. I was set on buying a cabelas alaskan guide tent but decided on going with a 4-person Eureka Assault Outfitter tent. I talked to a few dealers in the lower 48 and decided to go with the Eureka because of it's compactness. We took the tent on a week long hunt out of Kotzebue and I do not have any complaints about the tent or its performace. We had cool windy and rainy weather and the tent did not budge nor did anything inside get damp. Actually, when we set the tent up there was a small depression under the floor liner that I did not notice and when we broke the tent down the depression was filled with water. I could not believe that it did not soak through the floor liner. The best thing about the the tent was that I got a steal of a deal on it through ebay. I think I paid just under $230 with shipping to Alaska. Unforntunatley, I just checked ebay and there are not any listed at this time. Amazon.com has them starting at $306 thats is a little pricey if you ask me. If you can afford to wait a bit keep checking ebay and I am sure you can get one for a decent price. I think the packing weight of this tent is 13 pounds and it fits nicely inside of my pack. The Cabelas Alaskan Guide tents seem to be a little more bulky. I seen some of the 6 person models and there was no way they were going to fit inside of a pack. Anyway, I definatley recommend the Eureka Assault Outfitter tent. It proved itself to me on our trip and it's light weight and very sturdy for a 4-season tent. I am now confident with taking it on any of my hunting trips up here.
    I'm thinking about buying that one for when I don't have the capacity to haul around the XWT. My old timberline 4 has been good but it's seen its better days.

Default XWT

I have the XWT 8x8 I used it the past two seasons this year was a blue bird year no real test there but last year was a different story I had some very bad weather & the tent didnt faulter. 05 had high winds sideways rain all the good stuff. That tent has a ton of tie downs if tied & staked it would be pretty hard to move it. Down side is of course the weight just under 40 lbs.
    Up side strong & nice room to stand.
    I think tent choice really depends on a lot of things such as where you hunt, how much your location will change, poss weather to be encountered ect.
    I am most likely going to get a different tent before next year as this Xwt is great but I want something smaller & lighter.
    there wil be others metioned as well as lots in the archives
    regards jeff

Wink Tent help

All this input is very helpful. Thank you. Weight is not an issue. Instead of a wall tent I want a big self contained tent for a base camp. Self contained meaning poles included. I have a small lightweight tent for flyins and packins.
    I called Cabelas about the two tents and they said they are real comparable in quality. My biggest fear is putting forth the money just so a bear has something to try out as a scratching post but I guess that's just part of the adventure.

I've used the Cabela's Guide tent a few times, both of the tents used were owned by others. They peerformed very well. One time it rained so much we started to have a creek under the tent, at least the ground go tawful soft but no water in the tent. We also had a hard rain storm with wind and nothing came through and we had no problem being snug in the tent. They are great tents but a little heavy.

Default XWT

We bought the 10x10 XWT this year based on our research. Although we never encountered hurricane force winds, this tent would be my choice for any severe weather situations. Sure, it weighs alot, but you're not going to find a bomb-proof tent that fits in your fanny pack. We went with the 10X10 because it was under 50 pounds for commercial travel and it was the perfect size for my family of 5 on a Denali Hwy hunt or three big hunters w/gear on a Kodiak hunt. As far as I'm concerned, Cabelas makes great products and there warranty is second to none.
    Mike
    Mike

Thumbs up The I know the Calebas Design Engineer

I just recent returned from my first AK moose hunt. On that trip was the Design Engineer for Calebas that designed the tents mentioned. Our outfitter used the Outfitter wall tent in base camp and both the 6 man and 4 man tents in spike camp. I have nothing but good things to say about the tents. My outiftter really likes the wall tents. He mentioned that all the outfitters are going to those tents. The are one of the only wall tents where you won't have issues with closing the doors. The design of the door makes it very nice for getting inand out. The dome tents were very comfortable, dry and easy to move around in. I'd highly recommend them.

Default Six man tent

I have the six man (actually it is the Bass Pro Shops one, but the same tent), and have used it on several moose hunts.

Its a good tent, reasonably light, if you change the stakes for some better ones, water tight, roomy, and will hold up to a good wind, and even a really big wind if you pitch it in the right place.

Talking Thanks for the help.

Using all of the helpful information I will place my order tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 3H View Post
    "... We went with the 10X10 because it was under 50 pounds for commercial travel ..."
    Wish I had considered that...now I have to buy TWO more tents! ;-)

I have used both the 6 man Guide tent and now I own a 4 man. I took the 6 man to the Alaska Peninsula against some peoples advice. That tent withstood winds up to 70 mph for 2 days straight. At one point we had to stack action packers on the windward side just because we were sure it was going to collapse. Never ripped a seam and the fiberglass poles never broke. The one feature I love about the Cabelas Alaska Guide tents is the vestibule. The deluxe vestibule is awesome. its so nice to have a place to cook and hang out when the weather is bad instead of laying in your sleeping bag staring at the walls of the tent. Gives you a nice place to take off wet gear and boots and not dirty up where you sleep. The Peninsula trip sold me on their durability cuz we were ready for plan B which was the 3 of us balling up in a North face 4 season compact tent and I wasn't looking forward to plan B, thankfully the Guide tent did its job and we were ok. Major downfall is they are heavy tents, great for a base camps but your not packing them anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast