Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greyling taste

Default Greyling taste

Ive heard a lot of people describe greyling as fair to poor on a plate. I personally love the little things! I think they are delicious, and for the table I target them over trout. Im puzzled as to why so many more people than I think they taste terrible. They greyling I catch are from a stocked lake. I have never eaten them from a river. Is there a difference in taste between natural and stocked greyling?

Default Love grayling too!

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Ive heard a lot of people describe greyling as fair to poor on a plate. I personally love the little things! I think they are delicious, and for the table I target them over trout. Im puzzled as to why so many more people than I think they taste terrible. They greyling I catch are from a stocked lake. I have never eaten them from a river. Is there a difference in taste between natural and stocked greyling?
    They sure don't freeze well though, but fresh they can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Your right they're great table fare ... I also prefer them to trout and have never noticed a big difference in taste after freezing them.... I heard many say they did though.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Thumbs up Fine eating...

I believe that fresh greyling taste just great. I have eaten them along with rainbow trout and dolly varden char and could not tell the difference between the three types of fish.
    One of my friends believes the char are better than the trout or greyling. And yes, they do not freeze well. Even greyling that have been out of the water for an hour begin to get soft.

Oh yeah, I prefer to catch and release 99% of the fish we catch. But once a year my clients-hunters want to catch their own shore lunch.

I once read that an 18 inch greyling could be about 12 years old?? Anyone know more more about this?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Grayling taste great if you eat them right after you catch them.

Greyling have a very fine delicate taste,I find dolly's n trout very boring tasting.Sure you can jaz them up,but just straight up flesh,Ill take the greyling.

ak4195

Default Ok

So I understand that grayling are great fish... I've cought some out of Cresent lake on the Kenai, Where else besides Symphony lake can you catch them close to Anchoage?
    Not looking for secrets, but generalities, just for conversation.

A buddy and I fished Cresent Lake a few years ago...what a hike...but the fishing was worth the termoil. Absolutly beautiful lake and the Grayling did not disappoint. They were rising to anything that we threw at them...Awesome
    Can't wait to do it again! But would sure like something a little easier to get to, as I've been 29 and holding for 12 years now! (Good grief...has it been that long?)

Fm
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by frozenmarc View Post
    so i understand that grayling are great fish... I've cought some out of cresent lake on the kenai, where else besides symphony lake can you catch them close to anchoage?
    Not looking for secrets, but generalities, just for conversation:d.

A buddy and i fished cresent lake a few years ago...what a hike...but the fishing was worth the termoil. Absolutly beautiful lake and the grayling did not disappoint. They were rising to anything that we threw at them...awesome:d
    can't wait to do it again! But would sure like something a little easier to get to, as i've been 29 and holding for 12 years now! (good grief...has it been that long?)

fm
    beach lake
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    beach lake
    Thanks for the info, but I thought all they had was little stockers? Please correct me if I'm wrong or is this the holy grail of graying close to anchorage? Thanks,
    Marc
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMarc View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I thought all they had was little stockers? Please correct me if I'm wrong or is this the holy grail of graying close to anchorage? Thanks,
    Marc
    I caught some nice ones there ....it's been a few years since I fished there but I would assume they still live in that lake.

Default Thanks

I'll definatly give it a try this summer!
    Marc

I'll definatly give it a try this summer!
    Marc
    I did best in that lake in Sep and Oct..... good luck!

Grayling are excellent table fare. I like to get some Zatarains gumbo mix and make it with a little less water than they tell you, add 1.5 lbs of grayling slivers when it is about half done and cook till the fish starts flaking. While this is cooking, garlic biscuits in the aluminum dutch oven. This makes on fine riverside meal. A ritual on all my float trips.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks Dan

One of these times I'm going to try this recipe of yours Dan, I've seen you post it here several times. Thanks for the info!

Marc

So
    Can't wait to do it again! But would sure like something a little easier to get to, as I've been 29 and holding for 12 years now! (Good grief...has it been that long?)

Fm

Don't feel bad, I've been 29 and holding for 17 years now!!!!!

I've mentioned this in another thread, but you can gut a gralying, leave the scales on and just throw it on a good bed of coals, and let it cook for about 5or 6 miniutes turning it now and then, and then peel the skin back and have nothing but white flaky meat. The fish will look like it was chared to a crisp but the scales act as tinfoil. Good survial tip.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i have liked the grayling that i have eaten. with them being a mild and white meat fish i imagine they taste as good as you can cook. texture and taste are two different things and i hear they dont freeze well. never had once frozen grayling but any fresh ive had has been excellent.

Default ramen vs. grayling

When I attended the Farthest North University in the World I ate a lot of grayling. It was a no brainer when it came down to ramen noodles or grayling which was better table fare.
    It's been awhile since I last had grayling but I remember pan frying them in Shore Lunch batter and they were excellent.

I had grayling while cariboou hunting up on the Kobuk. Problem was we had it the same time we had Sheefish and it, in my opinion, did not compare. Lemon or lemon pepper would certainly have helped it. Grayling was good but the sheefish was mch better.

Sheefish is tops. Compare any other white fish to it and it will pale in comparrison
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast