Thread: Any word of the new Reg muskox hunts???

Default Any word of the new Reg muskox hunts???

Curious to find out how the registration muskox hunts have been going up outa Nome? i know martentrapper was getting his new business all lined out, curious how it's all been going??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A friend in Teller tells me that hunting has been good in that area.

Default no don't say that

I was all lined up to go on the 1st with an old hunting buddy here & another guy that moved to Nome who just happens to have snowmachines already up there. Unfortunatley my buddy enjoys skiing more & when the cold spell came in he headed for the states to go skiing & I haven't heard back from him. I am thinking about driving to his house in the morning & kicking his ***** if hes back.
    So I was hoping the hunting would be going slow up there so I don't feel bad about missing it.

There was a rush opening day. 19 killed opening day they say. At least 9 non locals connected. All the non locals are gone now. 22C is closed. Quota filled, but 5 illegal cows were taken. Area bio is unhappy about that.
    Some drawing permit holders still to hunt. 22D and B are still open but can't get a permit now. Will likely be some changes for next year. Area bio has indicated he may use hunt conditions, such as a more severe trophy destruction, to discourage non locals from getting permits, tho evidence so far points to the illegal harvest being from mistakes (shoot thru) made by locals.
    Hopefully things will work out and all state residents will get a decent opportunity to participate.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thanks for the update MT, thats the kinda stuff i wanted to know.
    Master guide 212

MT: BRWNBR eluded to a new business venture you have up there. Are you transporting or something? Thanks.

Default Not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    There was a rush opening day. 19 killed opening day they say. At least 9 non locals connected. All the non locals are gone now. 22C is closed. Quota filled, but 5 illegal cows were taken. Area bio is unhappy about that.
    Some drawing permit holders still to hunt. 22D and B are still open but can't get a permit now. Will likely be some changes for next year. Area bio has indicated he may use hunt conditions, such as a more severe trophy destruction, to discourage non locals from getting permits, tho evidence so far points to the illegal harvest being from mistakes (shoot thru) made by locals.
    Hopefully things will work out and all state residents will get a decent opportunity to participate.
    With all the advertisement on here about the hunt not a bit surprised the f&g want to make it a more local hunt,kinda sounds like the Adak hunting.

f&g want it simple and easy. that would mean local use not some much the stress and haslte of outside hunters.
    Master guide 212

I am NOT a transporter. Don't plan on it either. Just rent snogo's. There is decent hunting within 15 miles of town.
    This is a Tier 1 subsistence hunt. Open to all Ak. res. I suspect that simple and easy is what most folks want, including the managers. However, this hunt is managed using a "quota". When the quota is filled, the hunt unit is closed. Because of the quota, not much reason to take measures that effect only non local users.
    Like I said, hopefully the changes coming will still allow al Ak. res to participate and have a decent hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I am NOT a transporter. Don't plan on it either. Just rent snogo's.
    Sounds good. Always nice to know that there are services available if I am up in that part of the state.