Thread: Raft frame seat mounts...welded versus bolt-on

Default Raft frame seat mounts...welded versus bolt-on

I'm currently designing a cata-canoe frame and would like to get input on the seat mounts. The two options that I'm looking at are welding an alum plate or using one of the bolt-on models. I would prefer the welded over the bolt-on for several reasons; less weight (even though minimal), less moving parts and no roll on the bar. My concern is that with fly-in trips, am I going to run into issues because I can't remove the seat plates from the bars? The other question I have is around the Lopro's, do they come pre-drilled for the bar connection? I was just thinking thru the process and trying to determine if there's a jig or something you use to decide where to drill the hole in the alum pipe or do you put the Lopro into the pipe and drill thru both? Thanks in advance.

You put the LoPro into the pipe and drill through both.

I've never had a problem flying with a seat mount welded to a bar. However, I do like the bolt on ones for the reason that you can change the pitch of the seat. I tend to like my seats tilted forward a bit to allow for a better portagee/push stroke. Others like it flat. Also some seats sit better tilted a bit. If you weld it, you can't adjust it.

Thumbs up seat angle

I'm going to agree with Jim....that I prefer being able to change the angle of the seat. The lo-pro fittings enable me to change the seat angle if another rafter takes over the oars, when I load the boat incorrectly, or when my old, aching lower back starts insisting on a different seat angle.

So if you never let anybody else on the oars, and if you always balance your boat correctly, and if your back has not yet started complaining, then weld it solid.

Dennis
    AKTAGS

Default Great feedback...

Jim and Dennis, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Adjusting the seat angle really makes sense.