Thread: What is the alternate route to the top of flat top?

Default What is the alternate route to the top of flat top?

Where is the alternate route up flat top mtn, not from the glen alps parking area? And where would you park?

Is it fairly safe this time of year?

Default Backside of Flattop

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    Where is the alternate route up flat top mtn, not from the glen alps parking area? And where would you park?

Is it fairly safe this time of year?
    The only "alternate" route up Flattop would be the trail on the south side, starting from the top of Canyon Road. Head up Upper DeArmoun, and turn right on Canyone Road. Follow to the end. I believe this is also the same "trailhead" for the Rabbit Lakes trail. The Flattop trail heads directly up from the parking spots, Rabbit Lakes trail heads out as if you were continuing on the road past the gate.

Not sure about safety of the parking area, but in the past, I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't leave anything of any value or apparent value in the car just in case. Don't leave anything that would look inviting such as a big blanket or tarp as if it was covering something.

Thanks, That's the route I was looking for. As far as safety, I was thinking, snow safety on that side of the mountain, slides and avalanches.

Parking at trail heads, I never leave anything valuable in my car and often think jit is better, to leave the doors open, so at least you don't have to replace the window as well.

The most comical story of a car break in at a trail head is when my friend left some dog food in the car, window slightly down. You can guess what broke in. His window was broken and dog food, gone.

I have only done flat top once, but I did have my GPS and have asked lots of questions. What I have found may also answer your question. Once you leave the main parking lot and head up the trail you have to decide if you want to go around Blueberry Hill to the right or left (your choice). The two trails merge together on the back side of BB Hill. Close to where they merge you can go to the far left (the old trail and not recommended) or go to the right (now the main trail). To the right you have a small *side hill* to do before you come to a ridge line that you go up to a small bowl and wood bench. Then it is a zig-zag to the top and the steepest part of the hill. At the lower *side hill* you are suppose to be able to traverse to the far right (west) without going up or down, placing you at the west face which is a more gentile climb straight to the top...just longer. Hope that helps a little.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default NW Trails

While on the subject of trails and GPS... by all means this is not all inclusive, but it does have quite a few trails in Alaska... it's free! Download it, install it on your GPS, and you may find a trail you didn't know about.

http://switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html