Thread: what winter weight long johns work for you

Default what winter weight long johns work for you

I decided to replace my old thermax and expedition weight polarfleece long underwear with something more high tech and a size larger to accomodate my gradual bulking up (amost entirely muscle thanks to use of the internet). I bought a top made by Columbia (the Bugaboo) that is supposed to wick away perspiration. It is polyester (a good start) has a smooth silk-like interior surface(??), slightly fuzzy exterior, was fairly expensive, and reviewed in glowing terms by several people on the Columbia website. I hate the stuff. When I overheat enought to sweat, it feels like I am wearing wet tin. Ther must be something better out there. Which, if any, of the new stuff actually wicks and yet still feels warm? Or is feeling cold and clammy the new way to stay warm?

Nothing wrong with the old thermax and Polar fleece. They work great. The feeling you describe is exactly how I feel about Under Armour cold gear. I am using a mid-weight marino wool right now and it's my favorite of all time.. I picked it up off E-bay and it's from SmartWool. The other thing I like about marino wool is that it doesn't retain stink like poly-pro does. It's noticeably less smelly after three days than polypro.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Patagonia Capilene works for me. Usually wear 2 weight.

I've gotten away from synthetics long ago....hate the stuff.

I wear lightweight Smartwool in fall hunting. For winter wear I go to a mid-weight Merino like Smartwool and if ice fishing or such, I wear a heavy Merino.....

Smartwool is good but spendy.....I was just in Northern Minnesota and stopped to visit family friend that has family clothing store of 75 years and she recommended Minus 33 Merino .....I bought two sets and its great as well as half the price of Smartwool.....I always get the zip-neck tops as that zipper goes a long way toward regulating my body temp.

Thanks for the tip Vern. I've never heard of them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks to all for advice. I'm going to get some of the merino wool underwear. I just tried my old REI heavy weight top with zip neck. Snowshoed a few miles and the underwear felt fine. The Columbia Bugagoo looks nice (zip top) but it is not the first Columbia product that didn't work for me. A few years ago I got a pair of their nice -40 insulated boots. Obviously no one at Columbia had ever tried them at even -20 since at that temp the lower portion just froze and was as rigid as a 2x4. Fortunately REI has a good return policy. Wish that I had gotten the Columbia long john top there too!

Talking C.C. Filson

I have had the Filson merino wool long underwear set for several years now and I love them. They are extremely warm, hard to get them to smell (even after wearing them for days on end), and they don't retain moisture. If you get a little snag or hole in them, Filson will repair them or send you a new pair with no questions asked. I know (twice). Filson's customer service is excellent.

Whatever you do, do NOT get anything form Underarmor for anything below +35-40F IMHO. Great in the heat, nothing made for the cold that I can find. I am greatly disappointed.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default long underwear

Duo-fold Originals , can't be beat .

With all due respect for your personal choice, logman, I believe Capilene and Smart Wool beat the Duofolds with a big stick! I find the former to be much more comfortable, much better at wicking, and much warmer.

Every year I'm trying out new long johns, and I find the higher prices do correspond to overall better products. Trying out the cheaper stuff just means more time and money spent before finally getting the good stuff.

I also agree that the UnderArmour brand is great... until the temperature drops below freezing. It's not the best for keeping warm.

Default REI Powerstretch

I have tried smartwool, patagonia, rei, ibex, and duofold. My Smartwool tops seemed to stretch and lose their shape if I pulled up my sleeves. Same with the patagonia tops. I live in REI powerstretch almost 365. I work construction, so I layer everyday. The outer surface is the key. Fleece is marvelous material, but bunches up as soon as you layer with it. Powerstretch is a 4-way stretch material that is designed for next-to-skin applications, meaning it has anti-microbial properties for funk protection. You can also find powerstretch in bulk material to make your own gear.

Late last winter, and all this winter I have been using Costco PARADOX long johns tops and bottoms and have been pleasantly surprised. I do a lot of climbing in the winter and these have worked very well. I put on an old pair of Polypros from Cabelas that I use to wear all the time, and there is no comparison...the new stuff is so much better. I am giving all my UnderArmor Cold gear to the Salvation Army, or maybe the dump...100% dis satisfied
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Whatever you do, do NOT get anything form Underarmor for anything below +35-40F IMHO. Great in the heat, nothing made for the cold that I can find. I am greatly disappointed.

I picked up a cheapie generic (starter) UA Coldgear shirt at WalMart a couple weeks ago as a layer for work. Love the thing, way warmer than any other shirt I've ever worn. It with a regular cotton flannel shirt over the top and I'm good down to the single digits.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Can you believe that I wear Sporthill 3SP camo pants as longjohns in the winter? I paid such a premium for them to take sheep hunting that when I discovered I absolutly HATE them I had to find something to halfway justify the purchase. Using them under snow gear was the best solution that I could come up with! Yep I now have a $200 pair of long underwear...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Can you believe that I wear Sporthill 3SP camo pants as longjohns in the winter? I paid such a premium for them to take sheep hunting that when I discovered I absolutly HATE them I had to find something to halfway justify the purchase. Using them under snow gear was the best solution that I could come up with! Yep I now have a $200 pair of long underwear...
    I bought some too last year and wore them sheep hunting. I wouldn't say I hate them. They are warm though and fortunately it was cold. I used em riding around on my 4 wheeler and moose hunting in the fall alos. I like the stretchyness of the fabric, they are comfortable but... I was in Frontier Outfitters here and they now carry Mammut. I finally got to look at some Mammut Champ pants. I can see where they may be just the ticket for a mountain pant. Many around here are happy with them. I may have to get a pair.