Thread: Anyone Winter sowing this year?

Default Anyone Winter sowing this year?

I have to get my seeds in order so I can get them out there. I think I am going to shoot for starting to put out seeds in late February or into March this year. I did it over several weekends last time and it worked well.

I want to try some veggies this year. I have only done the flowers before.

I am going to try out planting some broccoli, napa cabbage, leeks, lettuce and spinach. I would love to get my peas and beans started this way, but I can't imagine that it would work here. ...I might try anyway.

Anyone else winter sowing veggies this year??

http://americangardens.suite101.com/.../winter_sowing
    http://wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

grcg, I think most people in this forum "Sow".

It is easy to do, but seeding takes a little longer.

Other then the links that you have shown, what would you like to do?

I use a glad bag with a damp paper towel (make sure to keep it damp but not saturated and a couple small pin *****s in the bag as well) sometimes to get them to germinate quickly and then put them in some dirt.

I usually do container gardens though due to the soil/clay issues and the fact that container gardens seem to work better for people who have little or no yard or yuck soil.

Smile outside....not inside....

...most people I know start seeds inside and wait until it warms up to take them outside. Or direct seed when it warms up...or buy starts from the greenhouse.

With winter sowing, you set your planted starter pots, watered and covered with vented plastic, outside in the snow. Is that what you do? I don't know anyone that is doing this with veggies up here. And I am really curious about what veggies are successful with this method here.

I have been playing with winter sowing after a tip from a friend in gardening class. I am amazed how well most of the flowers did. I put my seeds outside in March. I had a lot of starts when I was ready to plant in May. I had to reset the plastic top on a couple of flats because the plants were getting too tall!! Doesn't work with everything. But it is tons cheaper than buying starts from a greenhouse and easier than taking up the south-facing windows in the house.

Hey now that is interesting.

I will try anything once. Probably try Lettuce and Spinach as well as some sweet peas. Interesting idea.