Thread: Winter Maintenance

Default Winter Maintenance

I am about to start working on getting my machines ready for spring riding. Was wondering if anyone had a list of common things that they do for prepping their ATV's to ride. I am looking at changing oil, air filters, coolant, and basic lubrication. Any other things that need to be checked out? I figure I will use the winter for some garage time to make sure everything is good to go.

For my Ranger I want to pull the radiator and have it dipped. After bombing through swamp after swamp last summer I sucked a lot of junk into when the fan kicked on, ended up getting hot on a few slow moving trips.

Also recommend an electrical systems test.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I usually just follow the owners manual. I pay special attention to all suspension parts. Don't forget to do a once over on your winch. Some guys will tear it down. I just like to unspool the rope completely and retrieve while listening and watching for any drops of liquid to exit.
    EricL

Oh, don't forget a real close observation of the tires, beads, and valve stems.
    EricL

I will change all the fluids minus the coolant. This includes engine oil, filter, and both diff's. Besides that if I don't notice anything out of the obvious I'm ready to hit the trail.

Check CV boots for rips. EricL hit on tires, but something as simple as checking air pressure commonly gets overlooked. One low tire will cause it to pull.

Don't forget bearing and brakes.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Check CV boots for rips. EricL hit on tires, but something as simple as checking air pressure commonly gets overlooked. One low tire will cause it to pull.

Great point mod!! In fact, last spring I was installing my skid plates and my neighbor noticed I had a broken clamp on a cv boot. That can get pretty spendy!!
    EricL