Thread: trapping pics 1/23/09

Default trapping pics 1/23/09

Heres a few from last couple of weeks.
    Hoping everyone is having a good start to the new year. -44 on the trapline up north so I will be going crazy around the house today. I am posting some pics of a nice mink I caught along with one of the ugliest cats I have caught to date. He was just plain mean and being very vocal after I shut off the machine.

Here's a big mink I caught in a otter slide with a 330 set for OTTER. Actually thought it was a small otter at first glance.

With fur out.

Prepared for the auction.

Been a crazy season so far trying to keep up with the weather bringing 90 deg temp changes and the winds to go along with them!
    Otter

I'm not sure if I should get to excited but every time I bring Kara to check, we seem to pick up a otter or two...

Caught this nice tom on the coldest day of the season, -44.

The sun going away preparing for one of the coldest nights, -51

Good stuff, Steve. Though I've done very little trapping, your pictures always inspire me to take my boy out trapping once he's big enough. I can't wait to share that experience with my kid(s). Thanks for sharing.

Let me know when you want to come over and get a refresher Brian. The neat thing about taking kids along is they usually could care less about catching anything, just being out with dad and grabbing some lunch and hot coco means the world to them. Once you do start connecting on critters though, it is easy to create a little monster,lol! You'll be seeing one of my little monster's next year at school. You'll know her when you see her. I am proud to say that she has been on Honor Roll all 3 years at Mirror Lake. Should keep up as long as I can keep her away from BOYS!

Congratulations Steve! Nice mink!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Steve - Well, at 8 months old, it'll be at least a few years before I get my boy out on the trapline. He'll be out fishing with us this summer (and he was last year as well), but I figure 6+ hours in the cold should probably wait a few years. Maybe I should get it figured out before then, though. Thanks for the offer!

As for your daughter, if she ends up in my Biology class I'll do my best to make sure the boys sit elsewhere.

The only ugly thing I saw is that ancient polaris! Haha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

As much as I LOVE that Polaris MT I think I will be upgrading to a new Scandic this spring(keeping fingers crossed)!

Great pics Steve! What are you doing with the otter? They are my favorite fur to work with, real durable like beaver and make some good warm gear. I tan up all the mink I catch too; for what they sell for seems better to just make them into hats or use for trim, also real durable fur.

Always great to see you getting out with the kids.

Yeah, actually I don't try real hard for them as they are so greasy and not worth much to send to the auctions. I just have so many on my line and around my cabin and sometimes you just can't ride by a fresh hole and tracks,lol. Besides they play murder on MY favorite fish, Burbut, that are in my lake. I too have them tanned but for now they are just wall hangers or gifts. Waiting for my tanned collection of critters to get a little more so I can then learn how to sew and make things. If you ever need any otter for any of your projects Mark, drop me a line!

Default is it just me?

or does that ugly cat only have three legs......thats a whopper of a mink though.....good job
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    As much as I LOVE that Polaris MT I think I will be upgrading to a new Scandic this spring(keeping fingers crossed)!
    Next time I am out, you need to try out my machines. See how you like them.

Congrats on the mink steve