Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alaskan books

Smile alaskan books

looking for some good books to read about alaska. wanting books on remote living & wild eatable plants.any help would be appriciated. thanks ,TY

I just picked up "Waltz with me Alaska" and it's a great read. Another fine book is "One man's wilderness". Hope this helps. Steve.

One of the first books I read after moving to Ak was Way Out Here. It's not a how to live in the wilds book, but an interesting read on a family that did so.

I've yet to come across a good book on wild edible plants in Alaska. Other than the plants used for tees, and berries, there aren't alot of edibles. Young fiddle head furns are pretty good, and the chocolate lilly produces a rice like substance in it's roots, but it has a soapy taste.

Coming Into the Country by John McPhee
    A Land Gone Lonesome by Dan O'Neill
    Yukon Alone by John Balzar
    Discovering Wild Plants by Janice Schofield
    Arctic Village by Bob Marshall

• More Readings from One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke 1974-1980 by National Park Service, Lake Clark National Park and Preserve
    • The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell
    • Arctic Homestead by Norma Cobb
    • We Live in the Alaskan Bush by Tom Walker
    • Winter Watch by James Ramsey
    • Trapline Twins by Julie and Miki Collins
    • Shopping for Porcupine by Seth Kantner
    • Wild Edible and Poisonous Plants of Alaska by University of Alaska Fairbanks, Cooperative Extension Service
    • Wild Edible & Medicinal Plants-Alaska, Canada, & Pacific Northwest Rainforest by Carol R. Biggs
    • Collecting and Using Alaska's Wild Berries and Other Wild Products by University of Alaska Fairbanks, Cooperative Extension Service

Default Books....

I have found the best place to find most any Alaska book is at the "Title Wave" in Anchorage.A readers heaven.GR

"Interior and Northern Alaska: A Natural History" by Ronald L. Smith is very good and somewhat of an overview.

One Man's Wilderness by Dick Proeneke as mentioned by several others.

The Final Frontier was an interesting read

Death Stalks the Land was also a pretty good in a morbid kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumpter Steve View Post
    I just picked up "Waltz with me Alaska" and it's a great read.
    Isn't it though? I've known Donna online for years now and have gotten to meet her too.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Jay Hammond, Alaska's Bushrat Governor was a great read as well.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Three Against the Wilderness,by Eric Collier. Not an Alaska book but in the same spirit. The true story of a young early 20th century Englishman who abandoned a life a privelage to move to Canada eventually settling in BC north ov Vancouver. He and his indian wife build a cabin (which they live and raise a family in). They had no power, running water, they finally got a jeep in the early 1950's at the urging of his son. It's out of print but can be obtained through abebooks.com, get the 1959 edition it has pictures etc that were edited out of later editions.
    Steve
    Epic adventure in the primitive wilderness of British Columbia as Collier, a young Englishman, his Indian wife and son set off for a parcel of barren land where they had been granted the sole trapping rights for 150,000 acres. Dirt-poor, they re-built beaver dams, farmed the wilderness and restored the natural health to the area.

I just remembered a couple of other good reads, the Trapline Twins by Julie and Miki Collins, and Riding the Wild Side of Denali by Miki Collins.

Default I second...

Alaska Bush by Tom Walker, and Arctic Homestead by Norma Cobb.Norma had mentioned she was working on another book, but haven't seen it yet.GR

Default Good Book

Best book I've ever read in RE to Alaska Living was Shadows on the Koyukuk. Jim Rearden is a fantastic writer with an AK history and feel you would enjoy any of his books for I truly enjoy them.

Default book

I have a huge collection of Alaska books. I've been collecting them since I was ten. I even collect the fiction ones, but I don't read them! One of my favorites and nearly the first in my collection is 'Wilderness of Denali' by Sheldon. Very hard to find, and I have 3 copies now. They sell in the $100's now.

By the way, great post. Some have listed books I don't have yet, so my search is on!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default One I forgot...

Searching for Fannie Quigley by Jane Haigh.About life around McKinley.I think for the guys who are dreaming of doing Alaska...they should pick up Miles book....Miles of Alaska ...and see how he did it.

Default To all who want to live off the grid...

I second the "Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell.Tells how life really is in the remote areas.GR

Must read. You won't be able to put them down.

http://www.tombstone1880.com/lukeshort/alaska.htm

The Cheechakoes and This Raw Land

I've known Wayne and Barb for many years and Wayne tells it like it is. Most writers simply won't do that, too embarassing.

Default Good reading

Mad Trapper From Rat River.
    The mystery of the Cache Creek murders
    Both very good reading.

Default one second and a couple of more

Bushrat mentioned "land gone lonesome" Great book and one of the best modern histories written about life on the upper Yukon.

Also "Alaskas wolf man" by Reardon. I usually figure half the state is trying or already thinks they are Frank Glaser.

Both of Seth Kanter books are amazing. "Ordinary Wolves" is fiction but explains life in the NW arctic as good as any and "shopping for Porcupine" is good too.

All the books by Richard Nelson are good. Good place to start is "Make prayers to the raven".

"Minus 148 Degrees", by Art Davidson; will make you want to hug your woodstove. Anything by Andy Russell; most of his stories were set in Canada, but he wrote a bunch about Alaska, too. "Two Old Women," says my old lady.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast