Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Island fly fishing

Default Kodiak Island fly fishing

I will be in Kodiak late June - early July and was wondering about the fly fishing along the road system. What can I expect for fishing? And any recommendations for flies to use there?

In short - reds and dollys in the river and stream systems.

The Pasagshak River should be hot for reds that time of year. The Buskin could be good, too, although it was a bust last year. You can take an ATV charter into the Saltery River for some great red fishing, but I wouldn't advise taking your own vehicle back that way.

Dollys are in all the streams and will be moving out to the salt or in the salt. The saltwater beaches and stream outlets can be really good.

Standard red flies - I used a lot of comets, yarn flies, Montana bills - basically smaller salmon flies and nymphs. Green is a good bet. I also really like flesh flies with a pink collar.

Use fry and smolt patterns for dollys. I had some luck on flesh and egg patterns, although there really wasn't any in the water at the time.

Also, expect rain.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 03-21-2010 at 20:25.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Also, there are numerous lakes that have some nice rainbows and receive virtually no pressure.

The scenery is amazing.

dude thats a freaking nice bow!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yeah that is a nice looking bow, that was caught in a lake?

wow....
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Oh brother

If the lake "secret" gets out, I know a few guys who will be very sad....so, shhhhhh

Hey THANKS Wyo2AK for the info. We plan to camp (truck camper) off the road system for 10 days late June into early July. I guess I'd best get to tying up some flies.

I went at the end of july and our hot color was pink. All species were hot for anything pink.

Wyo2ak,
    Is that a rainbow or steelie? I noticed that it didn't have much as far as spots below the lateral line. Just wondering?

George

Default Definitely a bow

...if it was a steelie, that would have been a heck of a jump to a landlocked lake.

Not to let the "secret" out (not that there's much of a secret if you do any research) but that fish was not alone. I think my best was pushing 7 lb. (Did someone mention the olive beadhead wooly bugger?) Just not worth it to take a pic everytime when you're alone and it's usually raining.

There are a dozen plus lakes on the island ADFG stocks with bows - that goes to show you how productive a lake can be if you give the fish enough time. (It's definitely gotta be C&R to stay that way, though.) And ADFG feeding the big fish little fish ever year is bound to help.

I spent 6 weeks on Kodiak and saw a total of two other people ever fishing a lake I was on - so I'd say the pressure was pretty light.

Wyo2AK I'm already tying up flies to use in Kodiak this June - July time. I'm trying to figure out what a Montana Bills is? Any ideas or pictures?
    After your last post I will be hitting the lakes, plan to camp right there if possible and get in a much fishing time as I can.
    Thanks again for the info.

Wink digi-cameras are sweet, even if mine is a POS

Quote Originally Posted by ClrCrkWildman View Post
    Wyo2AK I'm already tying up flies to use in Kodiak this June - July time. I'm trying to figure out what a Montana Bills is? Any ideas or pictures?
    After your last post I will be hitting the lakes, plan to camp right there if possible and get in a much fishing time as I can.
    Thanks again for the info.
    MB - nothing fancy - tinsel body, a wisp (whisp?) of bucktail and some krystal flash over the top. Tie 'em sparse. Size 6 or 8.

Here's a picture of my standard sockeye fare that did me well in Kodiak. Top to bottom:
    Flesh flies (the one with a pink collar is my fav, one on the right is a newbie but I got faith in it)
    Something I call a "Neverslow" that's just a mini-Everglow toned down for reds. Kind of a stupid name. Anyway...
    Comets in assorted colors. I like the brown/gold. So do dollies.
    Montana Bills in assorted colors.
    Some other random guys.

Hit the vise - go nuts. Hit the river - go nuts again!

Talkin' trout now, the wooly bugger box - olive beadhead is standard but others have their uses.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 03-21-2010 at 20:26.

Thanks Wyo2AK for the pictures. I'm already started and should have a bunch tied up by Sunday. Thanks again

Walt

My father in law and I just had our first fly fishing outing of the year yesterday on the Buskin for some Dollys. We each made about 15 casts before our rods iced up.
    We will try a sunny day next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    My father in law and I just had our first fly fishing outing of the year yesterday on the Buskin for some Dollys. We each made about 15 casts before our rods iced up.
    We will try a sunny day next time.
    Wow! You guys are really dedicated to fly fishing. But, I did think of about going down to the Kenai to "just look around" and see if the ice was out around the bridge. We plan to be in Kodiak the last part of June thou July 6th. My wife has been wanting to go to Kodiak, so we are taken our camper over and spend some time seeing the town and GOING fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Wyo2ak,
    Is that a rainbow or steelie? I noticed that it didn't have much as far as spots below the lateral line. Just wondering?

George
    Kodiak's lakes are stocked with broodstock from karluk river steelhead if I'm not mistaken. That explains the coloration.

Does anyone here have a "favorite" stocked lake here? I have yet to catch any rainbows here on the Island, I just got a new sit on top kayak and would love to try it out on the lakes and try to catch some protein.

I've heard good things about Lilly a bit busy but its in town. Also Abercrombie has a ton of fish I'd guess nothing huge but its just loaded. The lakes out on the flats are good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    Does anyone here have a "favorite" stocked lake here? I have yet to catch any rainbows here on the Island, I just got a new sit on top kayak and would love to try it out on the lakes and try to catch some protein.
    Heightman lake is good for bows, the one out in Chiniak has land locked silvers, Fort Abercrombie has rainbows and landlocked silvers, Kalsin pond in sept for silvers, Lake Rose tead for silvers, Buskin lake for reds,silvers, dollys and others, Lily has good bows through the ice as well, and more you have to find and discover yourself.

Well, I dislocated my knee 2 months ago, so Heitman is out of the question. I will definatly try my luck on the others when the ice is gone. (I have a lot of time on my hands these days.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast