Thread: Nice yellow female at MatSu Shelter

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Nice yellow female at MatSu Shelter

I was in taking pictures today and this little dog just made me crazy. Im sure she belongs to someone. She is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old, smaller, blocky light yellow, nose a little dudely but that could just be winter color, no dew claws. Very bright eyes, alert, talked back when I egged her on. Fake tossed a ball and she wanted it. Barked when I asked her "Where's the bird?"
    I'd have put $20 as first right of refusal if we weren't totally full here.
    She has one more day until she's up for adoption and she will go fast. If you don't care about papers she seems very nice with potential for some hunting/hunt test fun.

Dont let just anyone get her!! We so need a retriever rescue!
    www.alaskadognews.com

Did they check for a microchip?
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Microchips are scanned for immediatly

That is the first thing they do. The officers have portable readers in the truck as well as at the office. Big thing with the chips is that people have to update their contact information at the shelter, its free there. Some chip makers charge. Another is, and even though I don't like collars on the dogs all the time mine wear them 24/7 now. While researching an article about chips even the chip makers advise to put ID tags on your dogs. People are more likely to help a dog with an ID tag right off the bat.
    The jingle is annoying but its the sound of safety.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Default Good News Yellow girl went home

My inside source at the shelter said the owner picked up the yellow lab on Saturday and was so grateful to find her. That's the way it's supposed to work. Hopefully they will get her chipped.

www.alaskadognews.com

All of my pups are microchipped before they go to their new homes. I use Avid chips as when the shelter calls avid with the number, if the chip has not been registered, Avid will give out the clinic/breeder who purchased the chip from them and they are able to track to the owner.
    I have had a couple of dogs whose chips REALLY migrated and wonder if the shelters put enough time into scanning. Once, a friend alerted me to a dog in the shelter who looked it might be one of mine. I went down to the shelter and asked to see the dog. It did look like one of mine, so I asked them to re-scan for the chip. It was there, but had migrated to the chest. I took the dog home and called the owners to come and pick him up.
    Also had the vet office call me once saying there was a dog in the shelter with one of my chips. I looked up the chip in my records and called the owner to go get his dog.

I started doing chips after my first litter. I got a call from an owner who was distraught and crying. The shelter had picked up her dog as a stray (jumped the fence). She got to the shelter too late and the dog had been adopted out. She was a great owner and had done alot with her dog. If the dog had been chipped, I could have helped her through a rough patch.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson