Thread: 45-70 to crimp or not crimp

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default 45-70 to crimp or not crimp

I'm finally starting to work up some loads for my 45-70..,YeeHaw! I'll be shooting this out of my B-78 Browning falling block (strong). My question is, "Is crimping the bullet nessessary, and/or advantagous?"

I crimp heavily, but that's for very hot loads in a lever gun. I don't think it'd be necessary for a single shot, though.

Default Crimp for lever actions

I second the crimp for lever actions. Since that's what I own in 45/70 I crimp. The crimp is to keep the bullet from moving when it is in the tube and another round is fired. Most reloading manuals should have a discussion about the benefits and purposes of crimping.

Same thing the others have said, you should be ok without a crimp in a single shot. Some guys like to crimp all of their reloads regardless of the rifle they use them in so that all of their loads have the same neck tension. Its supposed help with consistency because all of the bullets leave the casing at a similar pressure when touched off.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Default ...falling block...

This rifle is a "falling block" design... um, not a lever..

Talking yes...it is

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    A falling block is still considered a "lever" gun, since it's open and closed with a lever. Crimping isn't necessary, but I crimp, just out of habit. You know, "Murphy's Law."
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default To Crimp or Not To Crimp?

ALWAYS crimp, that microsecond adds reliabilty/consistancy to the powder burn!

In the movie Quigley Down Under, our hero (truly for the 2nd amendment) remarks; "It's a lever action breech loader..." In reference to his Sharps model '74, 45, 2 & 7/8". So a M78 Browning is a lever action but it is not a magazine fed repeater, the tube feeders do need a crimp.

Ok, enough being sarcastic. I don't believe it is necessary to crimp in the single shot, you could even paper patch the bullet in which case only 1/8" of the bullet would be in the case and you could get a full 70 grains of black powder in the case. But I do think you will find that your loads will be more consistant and more accurate if you crimp into a cannelure with a good consistant crimp. It does depend on the bullet weight and type and of course you must have a crimp groove or cannelure to crimp any bullet. It would be a good experiment, try both ways and let us know how it works out.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm finally starting to work up some loads for my 45-70..,YeeHaw! I'll be shooting this out of my B-78 Browning falling block (strong). My question is, "Is crimping the bullet nessessary, and/or advantagous?"
    Absolutely no need to crimp for a single shot gun, you will also have slightly better accuracy with no crimp. Not to mention brass will last wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer!

Yeah, we (at least I) were saying we crimp for OUR lever guns...but he don't need to for HIS single shot. Weren't calling his a lever.

O.K....O.K....I concede. Darn that Tom Selleck! Yup, it's got a lever...I got to start paying closer attention to them details. Thanks to all for the info, I'll let you know how she interprets the differance in neck tension.

I would crimp as you don't want your bullets working out of the case while in your pocket walking around in the bush. If for range only shooting you don't need to crimp.JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Absolutely no need to crimp for a single shot gun, you will also have slightly better accuracy with no crimp. Not to mention brass will last wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer!

Certainly a good point about the brass, crimping kills it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?