After many hours and more than a few $$$$ the rebuild of the helm on my 1991 Fisher SV18-GT is finally finished!!!
The original helm was woodgrain coloured plastic and not the most pleasing to look at. I decided that a new Teleflex NFB rotary helm would be installed along with new wiring and switches, new VHF and Teleflex Sahara Guages and a sweet new Dino Steering Wheel.
I removed the old plastic panel and made a new one from aluminum with the Fisher logo raised with hand cut aluminum letters that were epoxied in place. The whole thing was then covered in charcoal coloured vinyl and the new guages, switches, VHF as well as bilge pump control center were installed.
The helm was originally reinforced with 3/4" plywood but with the cutting that needed to be done to fit the new guages where I wanted them required making a new frame from 1 inch square aluminum tube.
Here are some pics of the old and the new.