Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on what kind of rifle.

Default Opinions on what kind of rifle.

I am an avid deer hunter and have been for many years. However, I have only hunted in Indiana where rifles are illegal to hunt with. Needless to say I have minimal knowledge about rifles. My question is I am looking for a well rounded rifle to use for deer, moose, sheep, and possibly bear. I was told a 300 win mag would do the trick but have also heard that a 7mm is better. I'm at a loss as to what rifle to get. I would hate to get this huge rifle specifically for big game then move away and never have another application for it. Any suggestions?

Default "well rounded rifle" you say....

There are many right answers to your question..., but I think you should give careful consideration to the grand old 30-06. This due to you saying you are an avid deer hunter so I am assuming deer is probably your main prey. You also say "well rounded". The -06 sure fits that bill!

It's got the ooomph, and it a range of bullet weights to effectively kill game from varmint size to moose size.

If anyone trys to tell you the -06 isn't accurate enough, or as accurate as some other caliber take a look at Beartooths recent 30-06 post with pictures!

Good luck!

Default Rounded round

Doug, I agree with Ozarks, the 30-06 is hard to beat for shooting everything. I personally have a Remington 700bdl in 300 mag and have shot Antelope in Wyoming and Moose in Alaska. Was it too big for the antelope? Probably but was it too big for the moose? When I was standing next to the moose I did not think it was too big. The best thing is get what you can handle. You probably only shot deer in Indiana with a bow or shotgun. A rifle that you buy can always be sold if you don't need it anymore, but are you planning to hunt anymore if you leave Alaska? What if you end in New Mexico or Colorado or some other great place to hunt? If I was going to buy a new gun to hunt in Alaska I would buy a stainless steel with a synthetic stock in 300mag, and for me I favor Remingtons. They offer quite a few models. Put a good scope on it and try some good 165-180 grain bullets. Should be good for anything in North America. Also good for lots of plains game if you get lucky and go to Africa. Who knows?? Mark

I have to ditto Marko, go with the 300 and everything else he said. I prefer the 300 WSM, but in AK 300 WM ammo is easier to get, or so I have read. Here the WSM ammo is easy to come by.

Good hunting to you up there.

Shoot as many different rifles/cartridges that you can get your hands on that are suitable for the game you'll be hunting. You'll find one that you like. If that's not an option I'd also reccomend some sort of .300 magnum. I've used mine for everything from groundhogs to big game.

I'm a huge fan of the .30-06, not only because of it's performance, but because of the lighter weight, handier rifles that it is available in. I have a Model 70 featherweight classic that is a joy to carry all day, is plenty accurate enough, and will reliably put not only a whitetail down, but an 800 pound bull elk. If for some horrible reason I was limited to one rifle this one would be it.

Default Most choose bolt action...

After that, consensus scatters quickly. But there's good info available and no doubt others more experienced will chime in here.

1. Here’s ADF&G’s response to your question:
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...laska.firearms

2. Also for Alaska, the ADF&G FAQ on brown bears might be helpful:
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...diakfaqs#rifle

3. If you buy a rifle for Alaska that won’t be as useful elsewhere, synthetic stock and stainless steel may sell quicker.

4. You can find many (many) discussions on these forums about the best caliber/rifle for hunting Alaska. Use the Search function, then select Advanced Search, then Google search of outdoorsforum.com.
    Here’s one discussion on your question running 8 pages:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28578

Good luck.

Lot of great cartridges and rifle makes out there and many can fulfill your need. Now that said and I have been around the block and Lord knows I have owned many different cartridges and rifle makes as well as hunting with them.

You want one rifle, you want to kill from coyote to Moose and most things in between. I love my 300Win, 300Wby, have owned a 300WSM, 300H&H, 7mmRem Mag, 7mm-08, 7mmSTW, 27Owin and many more. Killed something with every one of the above at one time or another.

You need to get a 30-06 plain and simple. You will never find yourself without - ammo, reloading supplies, are dead game at your feet. You can sell it easily if you need to, it will be consistent, bullet choices and ammo choices allow you all kinds of opinions on game and terrain you will hunt. Plus you can find ammo anywhere you go if you do not reload. If you reload you can shoot velocities from 2000fps plus to 3400fps depending on the bullet you use if reloading. A 30-06 is deadly accurate and I would put mine against any 30 cal cartridge when it comes to accuracy.

I can drive a 240gr Woodliegh at over 2400fps or a 150gr GS at 3100fps. What a cartridge and so many fine rifles to choose from.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Another nod for the work-horse .30-06. It's taken every game animal we have up here...many times over. I'll always have one.

You'll find the .30-06 chambered in many different models and brands of rifles, and there's typically a great variety of factory ammunition from cheapo up to premium bullets. It's a pleasure to shoot, accurate and powerful enough.

Make sure you budget for a quality scope. Our weather is typically nasty, cold and wet during hunting season. If you have a cheesy scope, it won't make any difference what caliber rifle you chose.

Before you get your first rifle, heed 300S&W's advice. Shoot as many different calibers as possible. When I was stationed at George, a young airman/new hunter decided to heed someone's advice and buy a .300 win mag. It was a great set up. He went out to the range, shot one box and when he came off he deserately wanted to sell that rifle for about half price. So try some out first.
    I have a number of different calibers if you want to meet sometime and shoot. Although I don't have a .300 I know where to borrow one.

Thanks for all the advise. So it seems that the 30-06 is the tried and true all around rifle. So I guess my next question would be anyone have a favorite manufacturer for the 30-06? What type of scope would you recommend?

Savage, Ruger, Remington, Vanguard, Weatherby Mark V, Sako, Tika, Browning, which ever one you like the looks of and you will have a good rifle for the most part. Burris, Leupold, Ziess, Nikon, Weaver are good choices. So much to choose from and that makes it fun. Once you decide have a ball and let us know what you have chosen.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good choice of caliber.

People seem to have loyality to specific brand names of rifles and scopes...I know that I do. Rather than throw a name or two at you, let me try to offer a simplified and hopefully useful response:

Start with a budget...how much are you willing to spend for the whole thing...rifle, scope, rings, bases, cleaning supplies, etc.? Regardless of budget, I'd recommend a bolt action over any other action...some bolt actions are better than others, but they all work. Similarly, stainless Vs blued, wood stock Vs synthetic are choices and preferences, but they all work.

Get your budget together, then go looking. Last point, whatever you budget for optics, stretch yourself and spend more.

PM me if you need local information here in town...I'm glad to help.

Default 30-06 or 300wm

Go with a ruger, they're not known for their accuracy but are tough as hell and plenty accurate enough for any big game animal. Go stainless and synthetic if your're worried about resale (it'll be sold the within minutes of hitting the "post" button).
    You don't need the super fancy models...just a M77. If you don't care about resale, I think wood looks better (and may be cheaper)...but hate dragging my pretty rifles through the bushes and mud.
    For scopes, I prefer Leuopold, but setting my personal bias aside I know for a fact that a bushnell with rainguard works great in almost any weather you'll get here. I don't know which models they put rainguard on, but I'm willing to bet that you can get a decent bushnell with rainguard for less than a similar leuopold.
    Good luck...enjoy the search, take your time, savor it.

s

Hey BT...my comment about "throwing a name or two at you" wasn't in reference to you at all. In fact, I hadn't seen your post becasue I was typing my response.

Didn't want you to think I was being a jerk to my friend.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hey BT...my comment about "throwing a name or two at you" wasn't in reference to you at all. In fact, I hadn't seen your post becasue I was typing my response.

Didn't want you to think I was being a jerk to my friend.

Doc
    Doc, man don't worry about that I never gave it a thought, guys should be able to express there thoughts and ideas on this forum without feeling someone is going get upset and if someone does and your intentions were good and truthful then that is their problem. I knew what you were trying to get across and it certainly was a valid and important thought. Hey, I am cool
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    Go with a ruger, they're not known for their accuracy but are tough as hell and plenty accurate enough for any big game animal. Go stainless and synthetic if your're worried about resale (it'll be sold the within minutes of hitting the "post" button).
    You don't need the super fancy models...just a M77. If you don't care about resale, I think wood looks better (and may be cheaper)...but hate dragging my pretty rifles through the bushes and mud.
    For scopes, I prefer Leuopold, but setting my personal bias aside I know for a fact that a bushnell with rainguard works great in almost any weather you'll get here. I don't know which models they put rainguard on, but I'm willing to bet that you can get a decent bushnell with rainguard for less than a similar leuopold.
    Good luck...enjoy the search, take your time, savor it.

s
    salchastar is right. If I had to pick a rifle to take the tough conditions of a life time of hunting that I would not have to worry about how it started looking and if it would hold up, I would pick a Ruger over a Weatherby That is right, I said it!!!!! I am not drinking nor have I become addle minded, you heard me, a Ruger is the Jeep Wrangler of rifles and the new ones shoot very well indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT...call 911 immediately and go lay down until they get there...you may be having a stroke.

BTW...I agree that Ruger is a great choice (and I actually own a Jeep Wrangler).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    BT...call 911 immediately and go lay down until they get there...you may be having a stroke.

BTW...I agree that Ruger is a great choice (and I actually own a Jeep Wrangler).
    Doc, I did not want it out that I have owned 12 M77 Rugers not counting revolers and pistols and semi-auto's and have two MK II's right now and soon a third. I have owned and use more Rugger MK II's than Weahterbys and have killed more with Rugers than with my Weahterbys.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

LOL I own a Jeep Wrangler too. And that thing takes a beating let me tell you. I'll go check out the ruger's and am definately going with stailess barrel and synthetic stock. I've had too many nice looking wood shotguns get scratched and begin to rust from deer hunting. Again thank you to everyone who posted, at least I have a better idea of what will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast