Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low income hunting license ?

Default Low income hunting license ?

Does assistance from the H.E.A.T. program qualify you for the low income hunting license? Don't know if that is a welfare program or not...

It reads like this:

Resident Low Income License

Must meet the residency definition. The hunting/trapping/fishing license fee is $5.00 for a resident who is receiving or has received assistance during the preceding six months under any state or federal welfare program to aid the indigent, or has an annual family gross income of less than $8,200 for the year preceding application. Proof of eligibility must be provided on request.

I don't think the HEAT program qualifies you, and as a resident hunting license is only $25 I'd strongly urge you to pay the full boat so to better support funding for the Division of Wildife Conservation. I know they need it.
    Best,

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 60sChild View Post
    Does assistance from the H.E.A.T. program qualify you for the low income hunting license? Don't know if that is a welfare program or not...

It reads like this:

Must meet the residency definition. The hunting/trapping/fishing license fee is $5.00 for a resident who is receiving or has received assistance during the preceding six months under any state or federal welfare program to aid the indigent, or has an annual family gross income of less than $8,200 for the year preceding application. Proof of eligibility must be provided on request.

state aide or welfare is Food stamps, AFDC income, etc... or you must have a low income.. if your not on food stamps or welfare or have less then 8,200 gross family income you don't qualify.. if your are permanently disabled 70% or higher you may qualify for a reduced or free license.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Don't forget 60 years or older .....

Actually there is a low income Sport/Hunting and trapping Licence:

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/prices.html

Low Income Sport Fishing, Hunting and Trapping:

https://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/faqlic.html

Hope that helps.

Exclamation Gimme a break

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I don't think the HEAT program qualifies you, and as a resident hunting license is only $25 I'd strongly urge you to pay the full boat so to better support funding for the Division of Wildife Conservation. I know they need it.
    Best,
    Aw Mark, are you serious? Or maybe you grew up in the 60s too and I caught you at a 'weird' moment?

Seriously, do you pay F&G 5 times more than they ask when you send them money? Or do you only feel that generous with my money? How many bucks did you pay to F&G last year, above and beyond what they asked you for?

I don't mean to start somethiing here, but your advise just doesn't make sense to me. Were you serious, or are you just letting that member of the year stuff go to your head and now you're running for a higher office?

I wouldn't ignore a valid deduction on my tax return because our country needs money. I wouldn't pay 5 times what the Mom-and-Pop grocery store are asking for their stuff because Mom and Pop need money.

And I'm surre as heck not going to tip the state of Alaska when I pay them money!

The bottom line to my question is whether H.E.A.T. is a 'welfare' program, 'cause if it is, then F&G is only asking me for 5 bucks instead of 25.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 60sChild View Post

It reads like this:

I suggest you take your question directly to fish and feathers for the answer. I have a feeling you might be pleasantly suprised at the answer. Get the name and position of the person you talk to. If you don't like the first answer, keep asking others until you get the answer you are looking for. Shopping for answers within the dept of F&G usually reaps rewards. Most of the offices can't sell you the license though, you gotta go to Walmarts for that.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If you cannot afford the 25.00 for the hunting license, you cannot afford the gas and other stuff it takes to get out of town............even if you live in a village.
    Why bother with even the 5 bucks for the license. If your that poor, just chip in with a buddy and help out for a share of the kill. You don't need a license if you ain't shooting.
    I'm thinking your a "true" subsistence user and only want meat, right?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default I was serious 60s Child

60s Child,

I've been advocating for a hunting license/tag fee increase fee to better fund the Division of Wildlife Conservation for a while now. They are really short funded.

In answer to your questions, yes I pay more than I have to, both my wife and I do. I've spoken about that before too. Also do some other things for fish and game that cost me money out of my own pocket, not much money but that's fine cuz I want to help out where I can. So if it costs ten bucks a year to mail off some finfish samples or water temp data, I figure I'm just doing my part cuz I believe the research is important.

Like I said, I don't think just being on the HEAT program qualifies you for the low income license, but not sure. I wouldn't ignore valid tax deduction or pay five times more at the store if I didn't have to, so I understand your point. I don't think the analogies quite match up though. I encourage non-hunters to buy a license to help fund DWC. Some do, some don't. I encourage those who are eligible for low-cost licenses to pony up the $25 if they can. Some do, some don't. I don't begrudge their choice either way and wouldn't do that with your choice either, was just throwing out an opinion on it.

I personally think the low-cost license fees are ridiculously low and need to go up quite a bit. All of this is fodder for the game mgmt forum and we've had threads there on this very issue of hunting license/tag fees. It's something that has concerned me for a while.

Inre your comment about member of the year thing going to my head, no need to even say stuff like that, c'mon. Didn't ask for it and certainly it isn't going to change my views any.
    Sincerely,

Default Buying Low-income license

In spite of what AKres says, you can buy these at state F&G offices, if you qualify. But no one is going to ask for your qualifications, its on an honor system. Just don't drive up in a 30 k truck to buy it, that creates suspicion.
    I agree with Bushrat, 25 bucks isn't much and it goes towards a good (great?) cause, and its still the best deal in the U.S.

Blair

As it is a Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Licence... lets way the odds.

5.00 for all three if you qualify.... but the difference is:

Fishing: 24.00
    Hunting: 25.00
    Trapping: 15.00

So around 65.00 unless you do the pacakges like:

Hunting/Sports Fishing/Trapping which is 62.00 (wow, a whole 2 dollars less then if you bought them single).

You have to show a your Tax forms from the previous year, to show that you qualify. Family or otherwise. You can not go to somewhere such as Fred Meyer to get this "low income" you do have to go through the F&G office.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default Many give more than they have to

There are many people here who give more than they have to, usually through their involvement in various organizations such as NRA, DU, FNAWS, etc -- either by working as volunteers or in the form of monetary grants that those organizations provide.
    And no, I'm not debating the merits of the various organizations.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    In spite of what AKres says, you can buy these at state F&G offices
    Blair
    Blair,
    Try it at the Palmer Office, or a couple others. Can't do it dude. They turn it all over to private enterprise.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs down wrong on all counts

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If you cannot afford the 25.00 for the hunting license, you cannot afford the gas and other stuff it takes to get out of town............even if you live in a village.
    Why bother with even the 5 bucks for the license. If your that poor, just chip in with a buddy and help out for a share of the kill. You don't need a license if you ain't shooting.
    I'm thinking your a "true" subsistence user and only want meat, right?
    Great, I got another guy on here telling me about MY finances.

I do the best I can, I pay for the gas that I can, and I get my kids out and teach them the best that I can. If you differ with any of that tell me how, but don't tell me what I can and can't afford.

The closest you came to the mark was about meat. Yes, that is what I want to bring home, but more important than that is that I and my kids know that it was done right. With respect and regard for the animals I and they harvest.

I've taken many trophys, but none that any record book would care about. They're trophys to me and my family because we shared in the experience, and they tasted better as a result. We treat every animal and all of the outdoors with respect, and take every effort, every trip, to leave things better than we found it. As I tell my kids, that helps to make up for the occasional piece of paper or whatever that flies out of the bed of the truck despite our best efforts to never even once litter. If you want to boil all of that down to a single word and call it meat, I don't think your getting as much out of your time outdoors as I do, but I still wish you the best. But I also would tell you that you might not want to tell others what they can and cannot afford. To me, that just doesn't seem right.

Default I vote to get rid...

of the low income license and I am with Bushrat on license increases. We Alaskans are on a gravy train that needs to end. I feel that "ALL" folks can buy a license that is the same cost. YES, I pay the full amount and I pay the full amount for my 16 year old daughter. Yes, I buy ducks stamps for my wife and she hasn't pulled the trigger on one. We all need to do our part. I even suggest that we have a $5 fee for every tag that we get. They didn't grow on trees. An no, NONE of us are paying state taxes to fund this.

Angry ok then, dont gimme a break

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    60s Child,

I've been advocating for a hunting license/tag fee increase fee to better fund the Division of Wildlife Conservation for a while now. They are really short funded.

In answer to your questions, yes I pay more than I have to, both my wife and I do. I've spoken about that before too. Also do some other things for fish and game that cost me money out of my own pocket, not much money but that's fine cuz I want to help out where I can. So if it costs ten bucks a year to mail off some finfish samples or water temp data, I figure I'm just doing my part cuz I believe the research is important.

Like I said, I don't think just being on the HEAT program qualifies you for the low income license, but not sure. I wouldn't ignore valid tax deduction or pay five times more at the store if I didn't have to, so I understand your point. I don't think the analogies quite match up though. I encourage non-hunters to buy a license to help fund DWC. Some do, some don't. I encourage those who are eligible for low-cost licenses to pony up the $25 if they can. Some do, some don't. I don't begrudge their choice either way and wouldn't do that with your choice either, was just throwing out an opinion on it.

I personally think the low-cost license fees are ridiculously low and need to go up quite a bit. All of this is fodder for the game mgmt forum and we've had threads there on this very issue of hunting license/tag fees. It's something that has concerned me for a while.

Inre your comment about member of the year thing going to my head, no need to even say stuff like that, c'mon. Didn't ask for it and certainly it isn't going to change my views any.
    Sincerely,
    Inre F&G being short funded, yes they are, but that doesn't mean I'll donate more cash to them than what they ask. Do you recommend that senior citizens shouldn't use their discount to visit our national parks? Those guys are more short of cash than F&G.

Inre to your doing more than you have to to support better habitat for us all, join the club. So do I, and so do lots of people. That has nothing to do with you telling me I should send 5 times the cash amount that F&G is asking.

Inre to you now saying that you don't know any real answers about the question I asked, how the heck do you justify posting a guess not once but twice now? Why did you respond to this post if you don't know the answer, and even say you don't know the answer?

Inre to you saying outright that you don't pay F&G 5 times the cash amount they ask for:
    - thanks, I appreciate the honesty
    - but in light of that, how in the heck to you feel it proper to recommend that I do? If you really think I or anyone should pay F&G 5 times more cash than they ask, I would strongly suggest that you lead us using your actions and not your mouth. And also that you stay out of my finances - that's NOYB.

Inre to MOTY thing goin to your head, then you tell me. If that isn't it, what is the reason that you want to lead my actions with your words instead of yoru deeds, why you thing that tactic is even close to a proper one, and how you can possibly justify me paying a higher amount (over what they charge) than you. That seems pretty darned high handed and also real nosy.

The last thing I have to say back to ya Mark, is that if you want to take this off line I will. Or if you want to stand in front of me in person and have this same discussion, I will. Lots of people on here say things that they'd never say in person - hiding behind theyr keyboards - but I don't. What you hear from me now is what you'd hear from me in person. And I don't cowtow to a few little green boxes ether.

And the really last thing I have to say is that I feel very sorry I asked the @#$% question here to start with. There is probably something I could and should learn from that - and you should wish that I could say the same about your posts in reply - but I can't.

Actually no Blair, you can not buy them at any F&G office, try going to Palmer and getting it, they will tell you to go to Fred's or Walmart. Up you can get the low income license just as you would a normal license, Its nothing more than a little box checked for "low income" or assistance. At least it was that way 2 years ago for a friend of mine who is truly indigent.
    Also Blair, you are sadly mistaken, you do have to prove if you are low income, what state assistance you are receiving etc.. You also sign your life away on the back of the license and attest to the fact that you made the criteria to qualify for the low income license. Believe me, THEY DO check! Check the AST bulletin, you can weed through many who have lied on an application only to have been caught later on down the road. They have many ways than just "driving up in a 30k truck" to find out if you qualify or not, that's not a gamble I'd want to take.

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    In spite of what AKres says, you can buy these at state F&G offices, if you qualify. But no one is going to ask for your qualifications, its on an honor system. Just don't drive up in a 30 k truck to buy it, that creates suspicion.
    I agree with Bushrat, 25 bucks isn't much and it goes towards a good (great?) cause, and its still the best deal in the U.S.

Blair
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

And for the topic at hand, the HEAT program is a Division of public assistance, if it were me, I would call the F&G office in Anchorage and find out for sure if you qualify.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Here i go. i Dont always read through all the posts and that sometimes comes back on me. But in my opinion if you have enough money to have intranet you have enough money to buy a hunting license. We dont have to pay for both.

Have heard of people that try this $5.00 loophole low income, (Not to say some dont meet the criteria?) To fale miserably when confronted by fish & Game, Either @ the fish'n hole or out in the field on a hunt, By not carrying proof positive on location they qualify for this option? Thus the next step 9 times outa 10 result in a hefty citation that you either CowBoy up & pay the Fine's/Penalty's, or show up for your court date in front of the magistrate & provide copys of your W-2's or Other? Do your home work best you can before you check this box on your license? It could come back to bite you in the You know what pretty hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast