Thread: Husqvarna

Default Husqvarna

I picked up a Husqvarna rifle this afternoon primarily for the action. This one is the full size 98 Manser action built in the late 40's to early 50's and had been re-chambered from .270 Win to .270 Weatherby. Gun looked to be in excellent condition and has probably been shot very little.

Does anyone have any experience with the Husqvarna actions? The workmanship and materials should be top notch but I don't know anything about the steel hardness - is the action suitable for a high pressure cartridge like the .270 WM? I know Weatherby build his early rifles on FN Supreme actions but I read somewhere that they were hardened to prevent bolt lug setback.

Any suggestions for what I should build on this action? I was thinking in terms of .358 Noram Magnum - it just seems like the right cartridge for a Swedish action!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You will be very happy with your HVA large ring. My hunting partner shoots an FN/270 Weatherby and loves it. If you do rebarrel to a 358 Norma, it will be just fine. If it feeds with the 270 WM it should feed the Norma mag. If not, some careful use of a dremel tool with take care of it. It will work and work well. J.

+1 w/OldRgr! My Husqvarna 1600 in .30-06 is the slickest action/best rifle I've got. I'm thinking of rebarreling due to having to cut the bbl back by 3.5" due to a bulge that was in it when I bought it. So I tried feeding a number of diifferent cartridges out of the mag. ALL worked,.257 Roberts,.25-06,.270 Win,.308 Win,and even the 9.3x62mm. GREAT actions/rifles!

If your Husky is a 98 it is most likely an FN deluxe action. These were post 1948, having no thumb cut in the left side rail or a stripper notch. The deluxe also has an FN Mauser two position safety on the left side like a Mauser three position but just two and on the left and when raised up to "safe" will still clear a scope. It will also have the Mauser trigger. The Supreme action has a Sako box trigger and tang safety and some later Husky's were built on this action before they made their own action.

I would consider the FN Deluxe or the Supreme action to be every bit the equal of any modern gun of this design. I have built several several rifles on that action mostly 1950's vintage guns and all have been very good. Calibers have varied from '06 based to the 416 Taylor including the 358 Norma Magnum and all have given no problems. My own 411 is also on a 1950's FN action and it feeds the 376 Steyr case (necked up to 411) without a hitch. A fine custom action.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default FN or ??

Murphy - thanks for the info.

I pulled this one out of the stock to look for proof marks etc. and found virtually no marks on the receiver at all. There is a crown with a cross and something under the crown I can't make out and "nitro' proof on the barrel and a few letter and numbers on the bottom ring but nothing that makes real sense. While there is a SN on the barrel there isn't any SN at all on the receiver - I would have expected a Belgium proof on an FN action as it is on some other FNs I have. There could be something under the scope base but it couldn't be very big.

This one has an old Jaeger trigger in it and a floorplate with the button release - not hinged. The trigger is a two position wind off the bolt sleeve for scope use. The "collar" inside the ring that the barrel butts against is also cut for the left bolt race way like an FN but I'm not sure who all did this other than FN. If I recall on some of the small ring Husky actions they left the collar out entirely.

In any event it looks like an very well made and finished action - nicer than the other FNs I have. I do have an old orginal Weatherby built on an FN action that I'll pull out someday and compare. By coincidence the Weatherby is also in .270 WM. I may load some shells and try this one out before I do anything with it.

These old guns are fun to find and examine and shoot. It give you a real appreciation for well finished firearms and the time and skill that went into making them .

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    If your Husky is a 98 it is most likely an FN deluxe action. These were post 1948, having no thumb cut in the left side rail or a stripper notch. The deluxe also has an FN Mauser two position safety on the left side like a Mauser three position but just two and on the left and when raised up to "safe" will still clear a scope. It will also have the Mauser trigger. The Supreme action has a Sako box trigger and tang safety and some later Husky's were built on this action before they made their own action.

I would consider the FN Deluxe or the Supreme action to be every bit the equal of any modern gun of this design. I have built several several rifles on that action mostly 1950's vintage guns and all have been very good. Calibers have varied from '06 based to the 416 Taylor including the 358 Norma Magnum and all have given no problems. My own 411 is also on a 1950's FN action and it feeds the 376 Steyr case (necked up to 411) without a hitch. A fine custom action.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have some Sako's and have had others, Sako and Husky, made in the 1950's that were made on FN M98, large ring actions. They have no marks on the action to indicate they were made in Belgium. The Husky 9.3x62 and the two Sako M98's I have say made in Sweden and Finland with no Belgium proof marks. I would say that there was no need to Belgium proof a rifle that would never be in Belgium. All of these are the Deluxe FN action. They are identical to two other commercial FN rifles of the era that I have made in Belgium by FN and these guns are Belgium proofed with the FN crest on the bridge. Also all of these guns are "C" broached with the full collar that the barrel butts against. I have one Sears action model 50 that is and one that is not "C" cut. Figure that. I presume that at some point FN began cutting the left side race way through as it makes the cut easier (cheaper) to make. I think that was after 1957, though I can't substantiate that. Sako used FN actions from 1954 until 1961 for there long action calibers but I've seen no Sako with a cut through broaching collar. It is also quite typical of Swedish rifles to have S/N on the barrel only and I think those were just stamped for importation to the US. Some of the Huisqvarna M98 actions were, for smaller calibers usually, smaller ring diameter than the standard M98. The barrel is the same size/thread in those that I've seen. I had one Husqvarna in 9.3x62 that was smaller in the ring and now have one that is standard size. I've seen two others in 8x57 that were smaller. I nmade one of those into a 6.5x284. A great rifle, milled the follower, feeds like a champ.

This is an era of European rifles that are the among the best in the world in both design and worksmanship. I don't think a finer gun could be found than one of these FN actioned rifles. They are a steal for the rifle builder. I've bought many complete for less than $500, some quite a bit less. Consider also, the MRC actions are $650 or so and are bulky castings with no class or good fit and finish, just modular snap together parts. I'll always take a 1950's era FN action.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My most recent husqvarna rifle is a 1640 action from 1957. It also has the serial number on the barrel and not on the receiver. Although I did find another number stamped on the bottom of the receiver.

I will have to dig my old 8x57mm Husqvarna out of the safe and see how they serialed that rifle. The 8x57mm Husky has a thumb cut on the action...But I have seen otehrs that do not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My '06 is a Husqvarna action with a Krieger barrel. No SN on the action.

Default identical one for sale

I found this one on gunbroker which appears to be identical to my rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=121312837

I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about or not as far as the date of manufacture. Price looks rather high to me. I paid a lot less for mine and it has a Redfield 1- 4X scope and some ammo.

FN Mausers were used by Husqvarna from about 1947 to 1953. This gun appears to be without thumb cut which would make it post 1948 (the year of FN's commercial start) so the dates may be accurate. It appears to have original safety with after market trigger. It is a nice rifle and I usually bid $500 on any and all that come through. I cannot say what it's worth but they are going up in price.