Thread: Kifaru tipi

Default Kifaru tipi

I am looking for comments/opinions on the Kifaru Tipis. I am most intersted in the ParaTipi, but possibly a larger one if people have had good experiences with these shelters.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I am looking for comments/opinions on the Kifaru Tipis. I am most intersted in the ParaTipi, but possibly a larger one if people have had good experiences with these shelters.

Thanks for your help.
    Nat;

I have both the 6 man and 12 man Kifaru Tipi, and I'm completely pleased with both as they're easy to erect and they don't catch much wind due to their shape. I don't have experience with the ParaTipi, but I will tell you that the 6 man packs extremely small and light and offers the luxury of standing erect in it (I guess I'm getting old since I hate getting dressed in a horizontal position!). One thing you should consider with a Tipi is that the usable size inside the tipi is smaller than expected ; a six man Tipi can get crowded with two people when the sleeping bags are laid out and packs are gear are kept in the tent. IMO you can't go wrong with Kifaru quality.

WhiteFish

I'll second whitefish's comments, a buddy and I used the 4 man on our moose hunt last year. Great durable tent, just get the 6 man or bigger for the head room. We were burning stuff and pretty cramped with just the 4 man. My buddy had a mini weather station deal with the temp on it. One morning it was 24 deg F and we got it up to 70 using basically small branches in the stove. Great setup!

i like them. i have taken a 6 to ak twice and an 8 and 12 to colorado. i would get the largest you can carry. they go up a lot faster than a lot of tents inspite of the no. of pegs.

Default Just an observation

I have never seen nor used a Kifaru but my buddy just got at Ti Goat Vertex 8 (8 man) with a titanium stove. He had it set up in his yard yesterday to check it out. Man, all I can say that is going to be a sweet atv moose camp. No more heavy bulky wall tent and frame and wood stove. He and his boys were messing around and had a fire going when I got there, it was shirt sleeve weather inside and about zero outside. 4 fold up chairs fit easily around the stove with plenty of room around the perimeter for bed rolls, gear and wood. Plus you can stand up and move around. One thing I like about the Ti is that it also has two guy-lines. Not sure about the Kifarus.

Over the years around this forum I cannot say I have ever heard anything negative about Kifaru or Ti Goat Tipis. But, I have heard guys saying they wish they had bought a bigger one. I think this "8 man" will be perfect for him and his boy and I with gear. I think the footprint is 17x13 ft.

just my .02

I have had a 4 and 12 man Kifaru for several years. The 4 is a bit small even for two guys especially when using a stove. The 12 makes a great super cub transported moose camp for four hunters along with titanium stove, chairs and groceries all inside. I think I've used the 12 every year for 7 years with no problems.

I have not used them but did request a catalog that I got yesterday. Looks like great stuff. But with the tipis, I would not get side tracked with the foot print. The usable space will be based on the angle of the walls and this will limit head space and standing space a good bit. Go big is my suggestion. Assuming you are not carrying it on your person of course.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I was planning on carrying the Kifaru ParaTipi on my back, but the TiGoat Vertex 6.5 might be a bit more comfortable... Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Unhappy mixed feelings

I guess I am just different. I have an 8 man with the large stove, liner, and sst pegs. It was near $2000.00 two years ago. I am not sure if I would buy one again. Here is why. First, the tent pegs that come with are plastic and break very easy. Save yourself alot of agravation and just throw them away as soon as you get them. Second, to install the liner you have to tie it in by strings, not clips,hooks,buckles,bungies, or the dozens of other products every other high quality tent maker uses. Third, the tent pole is made from several sections of two different sizes of aluminum tubing and conects using a spring pin (like on a telescoping snow rake handle) not by slip together fittings used by other manufactures (it looks like someone made it in there garage). Forth, the stove uses awl thread to hold it together with several small wing nuts that are easy to loose. One other issue that come up this past hunting season was the condinsation. After 9 staight days of rain the inside of my tipi looked like a hydroponics garden. It was imposible to get the tent warm enough long enough to dry the tent out. The liner is an absolut must here in Alaska. (I think I could midigate some of the moisture by covering the entire floor area with a vapor barrier). Now for the good: The Quality is good, the service is excelent (very rare these days), and the ability to have heat is very nice. I just thought I would get a little more for that kind of money. I hope Kifaru is listening. Here is what they need to do to make there product better. New pegs, Anodized aluminum sleeved support pole, clips istead of strings on liner, different legs on the stove. other items that may be nice at least as an option, vents near top and bottom of tipi, L shaped zipper to make the door opening wider, a damper added to the stove and staps to measure set back (like my Mountain Hardwear Kiva has).