Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 30-06 was a real performer today.

Default My 30-06 was a real performer today.

I went to the range today with a friend of mine from North Ala. He drove down and we had a great day of shooting. My 30-06 Mark V Custom really stood out today. I shot my hunting load 165gr Sierra HPBT moving at 2933fps and also finally perfected the 150gr GS HV load moving at 3095fps.

165gr Sierra HPBT, 59grs H4350, Win Brass, Fed 210 primers

150gr GS HV, 43grs IMR4350, Nosler Custom brass, Fed 215 mag primers

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great groups BT. I got into a chat with Gerard Schultz from GS at the LR forum. I started a thread about the GS bullets over there, and he found out about it and joined in. He was very informative and said they would start working on some LR bullets after he was done with their current project, the SP line. He sais thye were going to do some testing on game with the SPs.

Another thing, some of the guys over there have found actual performance of the HV's to be less than the advertzed performance based on drop at extended distances. One guy was getting 3150 with his 150's out of a 22" 30.06 and they were about 1 MOA low @ 750 yds, which i figured to be bout a .370 BC. But he also said they were the best killing bullets he has used.

Anyway, it looks like you have a couple of good loads there. I'll be interested in seeing your extended range results with the HV's.

Wonderful shooting as always bt...congratulations.

You are also an excellent load developer.

If I ever get down your way I'll have to drop in for some pointers...LOL!!!

Thumbs up

Really, really nice groups. How long between shots?

Always enjoy your posts and presentation of data and pictures. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Really, really nice groups. How long between shots?

Always enjoy your posts and presentation of data and pictures. Thanks a bunch.
    I put the guns in the shade where it is cold and let the barrel get completely cold again before I shoot the next round. Depends on how cool it is when I am shooting. When it gets above 70 degrees I do not like to shoot. It takes to long.

Hey, the load for the GS HV's is 53grs not 43 grs of IMR4320
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Missing Rounds

So where are the other two rounds???

Quote Originally Posted by 17 Rem View Post
    So where are the other two rounds???
    where do you think they are?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Not sure what you were implying but here are the last to five shot groups with my 30-06. First one is my 165gr Sierra hunting load and the second is my 06 with the 190gr Sierra MK. I do not have a five shot group with the GS HV Custom because they are 1.20 for each bullet and I only had 50 to do my load work with.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up I like it......

Long live the versatile 30-06. America's greatest cartridge/caliber combination. Makes me want to go shoot mine. Good job pard! I have never used your bullets. What critters will you be putting them in?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Long live the versatile 30-06. America's greatest cartridge/caliber combination. Makes me want to go shoot mine. Good job pard! I have never used your bullets. What critters will you be putting them in?
    Coyote, Deer, hogs, black bear, mule deer, elk not sure of the order but that depends on the hunts this coming year in Arizona, Missouri, Mississippi and Louisiana.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Coyote, Deer, hogs, black bear, mule deer, elk not sure of the order but that depends on the hunts this coming year in Arizona, Missouri, Mississippi and Louisiana.
    Excellent shooting. My son also does well (1 MOA) with a Tikka 30.06 I bought him a few years back. He made a 305 YD shot on a Cow Elk 2 years ago with Federal 180gr Partitions and we never recovered the bullet as it passed completely through.
    Drop me a line if you come to AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Excellent shooting. My son also does well (1 MOA) with a Tikka 30.06 I bought him a few years back. He made a 305 YD shot on a Cow Elk 2 years ago with Federal 180gr Partitions and we never recovered the bullet as it passed completely through.
    Drop me a line if you come to AZ.
    Yes I will, sent you a PM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If the holes are touching I wouldn't even bother bringing out the calipers...........unless we're playing for money.
    Now what ?

Default Perfect range conditions...

known range, etc. etc. Am wondering what kind of grouping you could get either without the bench, standing, no known range, ie. real hunting conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    known range, etc. etc. Am wondering what kind of grouping you could get either without the bench, standing, no known range, ie. real hunting conditions...
    Real hunting conditions, killed to buck this year, one at 100yds and one at 354yds and have posted those hunts with my 257Wby, did not get a chance to use this one yet but will. Do you want me to post whether I was standing, sitting, walking or what????
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default muley

I shot a muley doe in Montana about 18 years ago - I had just got done jogging up a coulee, was taking a dump next to a sagebrush when I triggered the shot. She was 827 yards on my bushnell 800 range finder.........the wind was blowing sand up my hiney crack also...........that was with my stock browning A-bolt in .300 - - with handloads.

True Story!

Wink bullelkklr

Ok mr elk killer we need answers?

Were you laying prone, kneeling, leaning against a tree, out of breath while taking this dump?
    How about while you were shooting? tell us the whole story it's hard to believe you dumped her WHILE dumping??
    You don't want to be refered to as Bull%$&*er do you?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

This is just to funny man - to funny
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I shot a muley doe in Montana about 18 years ago - I had just got done jogging up a coulee, was taking a dump next to a sagebrush when I triggered the shot. She was 827 yards on my bushnell 800 range finder.........the wind was blowing sand up my hiney crack also...........that was with my stock browning A-bolt in .300 - - with handloads.

True Story!
    At the risk of hijacking Beartoth's thread, I am interested in hearing a little more about this shot... Did you have drop charts for that range? What kind of a scope were you using and did you dial in your adjustments or hold on/over with what type of reticle? It sounds like the wind was blowing pretty good too - with the average 300 WM load, a bullet would drift about 48 inches in a 10 mph crosswind.

Not doubting you, but just curious as to the details.

I was taught that groups should be measured hole center to hole center. Your group is much less than 1/2 moa!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast