Thread: Spearfishing? Scubadivers?!

Question Spearfishing? Scubadivers?!

Any divers on this forum? Spearfisherman? Crabbers? Looking to get some technical questions answered?

Thanks alot

I'm a diver but it's been a few years.

ha! I glanced at the title and pictured 007 in Thunderball!!!!

This thread on diving was in the global forum a while back - should give you some contacts. Either post there with a link to your thread or PM folks that maybe seem knowledgeable.

cheers

Cool Thanks Cant figure out how to delete this thread if it dont belong please delete

I've been known to get wet while pursuing the denizens.

It sounds like Phish Finder was an instructor and knows more than I do probably.

Being a bit leery of offering "technical" advice, wasssup?

I just saw your post on GD...

It is cold water diving. Dry suit w/ long johns. The best vis is in the winter when all the feeders are frozen. You can expect below 40 and probably around 35 degree water.
    Spear fishing is hit and miss, but it can be great. I have yet to try Seward silvers, but it is on the list. We used to stab halibut off of the spit in Homer, but the last 2 times out never saw one. Still lots of bass and cod around if you can get to the wall diving across the bay.
    Crabbing is fantastic if you can find the ball. Picking up singles is fun, but takes longer. We used to do great off of Kodiak, but that too went to hell. I got into them out of Juneau a few years ago, all I wanted.
    You don't need to go as deep as 160-200. You should find fish near 100'. Lots of fun drift diving too. Cover ground. I always carry an extra bolt, halibut have swum off and I like to get a second shaft into them if I can.

Good luck! Lots to see. You think a moray is ugly, wait until a wolf eel checks you out! ;D
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Spear fishing is hit and miss, but it can be great. I have yet to try Seward silvers, but it is on the list. We used to stab halibut off of the spit in Homer, but the last 2 times out never saw one. Still lots of bass and cod around if you can get to the wall diving across the bay.
    You ever actually see a salmon while diving? I've got a guy I know who has been diving down here for like 15 years and has yet to see a salmon while diving
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I've been known to get wet while pursuing the denizens.

It sounds like Phish Finder was an instructor and knows more than I do probably.

Being a bit leery of offering "technical" advice, wasssup?

I just saw your post on GD...

It is cold water diving. Dry suit w/ long johns. The best vis is in the winter when all the feeders are frozen. You can expect below 40 and probably around 35 degree water.
    Crabbing is fantastic if you can find the ball. Picking up singles is fun, but takes longer. We used to do great off of Kodiak, but that too went to hell. I got into them out of Juneau a few years ago, all I wanted.
    You don't need to go as deep as 160-200. You should find fish near 100'. Lots of fun drift diving too. Cover ground. I always carry an extra bolt, halibut have swum off and I like to get a second shaft into them if I can.

Good luck! Lots to see. You think a moray is ugly, wait until a wolf eel checks you out! ;D
    Thanks yea that was as technical as I was meaning. What sort of currents and such, I can handle any fish I care about up there. Crabbing excites me more than anything. Heard certain times of the year halibut can be had very shallow less than 60 feet. Even here I carry 2 shafts for fish and sometimes 3 depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks alot

Jerry,

Check out the link below in my sig. I'm surprised no one else brought this up. I can put you in touch with some of THE BEST spearfishing divers in Alaska. PM me if you want.

Best,
    Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

It's been a long time since I've dived. I got spoiled and learned in Hawaii. I've wanted to try diving up here, but must say the cold water is a bit intimidating. Maybe one of these days I'll get back into it.

Default No see ums

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    You ever actually see a salmon while diving? I've got a guy I know who has been diving down here for like 15 years and has yet to see a salmon while diving

In decades of diving here I have seen 2 small schools. I haven't targeted them yet either. Almost all of my Alaskan diving has been in the winter.
    My thought came from OLD memories of silvers jumping like crazy right out of the Seward harbor, bouncing off the boat. Thousands of em, kinda like Juneau gets.

As far as type of current, be tide aware in restricted areas. These are some butt kicking tides here and you will fly like superman. In my experience, the Southern Ocean below Australia is the only place I have been that comes close.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Cold and wet

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    It's been a long time since I've dived. I got spoiled and learned in Hawaii. I've wanted to try diving up here, but must say the cold water is a bit intimidating. Maybe one of these days I'll get back into it.
    After your face goes numb, it's all good. It's the early years diving out of a zodiac and changing into/out of the dry suit in a snowstorm that sucked.

Especially since the suit always leaked.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Patrick-

The guy who hasn't seen a salmon in 15 years of diving up here hasn't logged very many hours in the water. I've been diving all over the world (and training technical instructors) for nearly 15 years and I've seen plenty of salmon...

Eels, salmon, orcas, humpbacks, and even salmon sharks... the only real "problem animals" here are the sea lions that WILL take your catch away from you...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lancaster View Post
    Thanks yea that was as technical as I was meaning. What sort of currents and such, I can handle any fish I care about up there. Crabbing excites me more than anything. Heard certain times of the year halibut can be had very shallow less than 60 feet. Even here I carry 2 shafts for fish and sometimes 3 depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks alot
    Jerry-

We don't have a Billy Deans or Tom Mount up here to have pushed the depths as much as you do down in FL. Most of the folks here find plenty of fun in the 40-150 range. Dungie crabbing is great in many places, and if you catch King Crab in areas when open during a mate, it's ... umm ... interesting to say the least. Try looking for a few scallops too!

Lings are my favorite to spear... big, bold (they'll sit and stare at you)... and above all else, tasty!

Any other "technical" questions?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]