Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing whites for sheep hunting?

Default Wearing whites for sheep hunting?

In your opinion, how important is this? I'm planning on hunting sheep this year, draw or no draw. Does it trick the sheep or is it just extra weight?
    Thanks

Check the archives on this one..lots of info.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 09-04-2009 at 16:39.

It's not that heavy, and I'd rather have it and not need it than wish I had it and not have it.

Default Both...?

I think...both.
    I have used whites two times and was convinced they helped me cross a open area, stalk closer and whack the ram.
    And I have used them one time when the ram was not fooled even though I was about 800 yards away.
    On the 20 mile + approaches I do not carry them. On the 12 mile approaches I used to bring them. But I am always overloaded, and I quit bringing the whites along.
    Just hunt baby!!! (...my two cents...)

Sheep can be funny. Last year my client-hunter and I stalked into a group of 26 rams without the use of whites. At first I though they were going to spook and my hunter prepared for a "panic fire-fight". But then the sheep calmed down and began to carry on with their normal bedding and feeding activitys for about two hours, until the best ram stood up. It was a good death.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default Bring them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would bring them! I used them these past season in 13D. I was looking at 7 rams 1/2 mile away and I needed to pass 2 rams with 28 ewes to get a closer look at them. My brother and I put them on and walked within 300 yards of 30 sheep and they just looked at us. On our walk back we went even closer and they still didn't scare.

Not sure they would have stuck around if we didn't have them on. They don't weigh that much, so carry them.

Troy

Bring them, I brought them on my last sheep trip and ended up not using them, but they weight next to nothing and take up very little space, they will be in my pack on my sheep or goat trip this summer for sure.

I have humped mine around a bunch, only wore them once and they were not fooled. I still carry them though. Note that the ones that don't weigh anything are the tyvek paint suits or similar, not military or commercial over whites.

Default I've never used them..

but with an increase of hunting pressure in certain areas, they might come in handy at some point or another. I can see times when they could serve the purpose, but since I haven't used them not sure if the rams would bust us in white's or not. They certainly have busted us in camo and they had no clue we were there! (at least not wind, noise or sight) and they busted us! I think hunting pressure does that to them though!

Default prev pressure

Northway...I agree that rams that have seen previous pressure, even in prior years, become more spooky. Unit 14C, Chugach State Park rams are pressured very hard every year and seem very spooky to me in July and Aug. But rams in more remote areas of DCUA seem rather tame by comparison. So I do believe that sheep hunted by the "white suits" will remember it and within their lifetime will grow more spooky of "white suites".

This is kind of related to the excessive celebrations that often take place at the kill sites. All of us have seen rams that stood by, seemingly unconcerned, that their big brother just got dead by a bullet. Personally, I prefer to cancel the kill site celebration until after the buddy rams have left the area. I believe that these guys (the younger rams that are still alive) figure out, remember, that big brother ram became dead after an upright figure wearing either camo or "whites" crept up on them.

Unhunted rams in national parks are the first animals to become rather tame and complacent around humans....think about the rams at Kluane Park/lake in Canada. Hard pressured, hard hunted rams -with their fantastic eye sight- become especially spooky around humans after being shot at.

Anyway, I have asked several rams if they remembered me from previous years. They never answer...just stare, now famous (with me) forever.

Mountain goats really fall for the white suite deal also.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    but with an increase of hunting pressure in certain areas, they might come in handy at some point or another. I can see times when they could serve the purpose, but since I haven't used them not sure if the rams would bust us in white's or not. They certainly have busted us in camo and they had no clue we were there! (at least not wind, noise or sight) and they busted us! I think hunting pressure does that to them though!
    I just think they were using their ninja senses or something! HA HA HA HA

Default how do you walk?

You guys who are using whites, when you have them on and trying to fool the sheep, do you walk upright or try to get down on all fours like a sheep?
    I've never used them.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default whites

Alasken,
    I never put them on until I felt that I needed them on. Then I would do the slow crawl to attempt to cross a small opening. Again, it worked, I think, a couple of times. And it failed badly one time. When it failed, those rams just were not putting up with a white blob anywhere within their eyesight. I believe any upright, normal fast walking is gonna be a bad thing, with or without whites.

I no longer take then on my hunts. Its just one of those things that I have decided is not essential. Usually, I do not do gadgets. Hunting skills, patience (when applicable), and occasionally rage (when applicable) are essential.

Man, I wish the permits winners list would be released!

Dennis...out

I do not carry them. I have an old pair of cover-all camos that are mostly gray due to wear. They blend right in with the rocks, and I have gone well within 100 yards of sheep without being busted. Until those rock camos fall apart, I don't think I would ever be tempted to try putting on whites.

I have always done whatever it takes to stay out of sight of the sheep, until it is time to pull the trigger or release the string. I judge them from a safe distance and then do the stalk, always above the and out of sight. The sheep don't care if I am wearing camo/whites/blue jeans or carharts. Sheep don't go anywhere, if they aren't spooked by you or critters. If you see wolves working around them, it is really tough to stalk them. Go around the mountain if you have to, just remain out of sight and above them. Easiest animal to stalk, that I have ever hunted. If you find one, that is legal, and you want him, he's yours. Pretty simple hunt, they just aren't wiley, cunning or fearful. Terrain which is their saviour, can also be their downfall.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I used them, with sucess to fill a ewe tag up Arctic Valley years ago. My partner and I had followed this band of sheep across the face of the mountain for several hours untill we ran out of cover and the closest sheep was several hundred yards away. I hid behind a bush, put on the overwhites and crawled out a few yards and sat just to see their reaction. To my surprise two of them turned around and started walking back toward me. I remained seated and in about 15 minutes or so they were less than 100yds away and still coming. Easy shot and darn good eating. I've taken them on all my sheep adventures since but have not had the need to use them, (yet).

Default Tony Russ: Yes - but...

The diagrams in Tony Russ's book, Sheep Stalking in Alaska - add a lot to descriptions of these 49 stalks from the 49th state. He also explains how he prefers other options to white suits, but has selectively used whites in situations where approaching sheep across a low-cover/no-cover stretch was sometimes the only way. The diagrams make it clear that the sheep were in a tough spot.

A stalk I read about last night used whites on a bowhunt. Russ takes extra time during the 200 yard stalk to mimic grazing sheep. Earlier in the book, Russ agreed with what Dennis posted - that he believes whites have to be used correctly - including "Always take off your suit after shooting a ram - preferably out of sight of other sheep - before you walk up to it" (p79).

Many pearls/pitfalls in these accounts - including blown stalks. This makes each hunt story more interesting b/c you never know how it's going to turn out. Russ's way of writing also makes it easy to follow each hunt.

Ive used them, but honestly, Sheep are so hyper alert, they can see you anyways. I've never seen any evidence that the suits work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default debating

I have been debating whether to take them on my first sheep/hiking adventure. What Dennis and Russ' book says makes too much sense to ignore.

If people are walking like a neanderthal in a white suit trying to kill a sheep - those sheep are going to get suit smart really quick. Animals may not think like a human, but they know how to survive. Standing up in your white suit when your critter is down and his little buddies are watching can only help to lengthen the sheep's lifespan.

I also concur with Dennis - I sure wish that I knew the results of the draw! My workouts will double daily if I draw

Default time and a place

i think they are handy in certain situations....situations where you have to expose yourself to the animal.....but many factors are involved.....what kind of pressure the sheep have gotten from "those things in white", wind direction just cause your white doesnt' mean you smell like a sheep, standing vertical is a big no no, and so is wearing your whites when your not even where sheep go like in the bottom of the valley in the tall trees...they may work one time and might not the next...my suggustion is to stay out of sight and use the shadows and move slow.....lots of times i am actually wearing black whether i am hunting sheep or any other critter....black to me seems more natural and you appear to be a shadow or a hole....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Whites

I think one question no one has asked here is how white are your whites? Sheep are definatly not your run of the mill bleached white directly off the shelf or fresh out of the washer with bleach added white. It takes a while to get the right shade of yellowed white IMHO to properly imitate a sheep while crossing a particularly difficult area. I have always tried to stay out of sight of any sheep during a stalk, however I would not be without a set of dingy whites on any sheep hunt for use when there is no cover.

akfarmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast