Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: containers?

Default containers?

I am going to be building an actual house near a town so this does not apply to my situation. I do not need to hear any bus jokes. hehehe

Any how; with a lot of people talking about building a remote cabin, I got to wondering how many people just skid in a shipping container for a remote cabin. Punch in some doors and windows and there you have it. I've been on many a construction job that these where used as job shacks, lunch rooms and even offices. Cheep easy and tough as nails. Drywall, electricity and plumbing all easily done in them. Easy to insulate as well.
    Last edited by klickitat; 01-22-2009 at 09:50. Reason: fingers moving faster than my brain.

Klick, you can but in some cases it is more headache then it is worth.

I have never seen one, but that could be done well. There is also the possibility, I would think, of finding an old portable work camp structure and using that.

Two weeks back I got a quote on one:

My email:

Hi,

Ok here is what I want:

20 foot insulated container.
    2 windows
    1 bulk head door with lock. (Similar to the oil rig door you have pictured on the website)
    I will be using low wattage LED lights inside and will need only 8 regular 110 plugs
    I will also need in the middle to have a whole cut for use with a small wood burning stove.

This will be used as a small cabin so security in the off season is a must.

Also, what would 2 10 foot containers cost? This is for generic storage?

Thanks Again.

His response:

n,

A container as you described below would run just under 10K.
    No beds, a/c, emergency exit, or furniture.

I would like to build it out of an old refrigerated container. They are very well insulated and will hold the heat in. I realize your in Michigan, but I would imagine you would only need a small 30.00 heater to keep the box at a comfortable temp. They also have stainless steel walls/roof and aluminum T floor. I have included the cost to plywood and vinyl tile over the T floor. We currently build out mobil office units and other custom units from these and they work very well.

Dem are 20'x8'x8' exterior and the interior height = 84".

Let me know what you think about this and we can move forward whenever your ready.

They said they could ship in anywhere. Hope this helps.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Klick, you can but in some cases it is more headache then it is worth.
    I suppose getting one to a location could be a real pain in the ars in some situations.

When I get up there I might want a hunting cabin some day and a 20 footer might make a nice shack.

A 20' uninsulated Connex will weigh between 5000 and 6000#. It varies a bit between manufactures. They slide pretty well on ice and a guy could weld up a set of skis for one pretty easy. You'd need a dozer or big snocat to move it and a trail large enough to get it down. They'd work fine if you could drive to the site with a truck, but I wouldn't bother trying to do it anywhere remote.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

what got me to thinking of this: When I go up I need a work shop and I have a lot of stuff to bring up with us. So I am looking at putting everything into 2 shipping containers and then using the shipping containers as my work shop and safe storage.

Well that lead to the idea of using them as a cabin in a remote setting. Some day that might be an easy way of going.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A 20' uninsulated Connex will weigh between 5000 and 6000#. It varies a bit between manufactures. They slide pretty well on ice and a guy could weld up a set of skis for one pretty easy. You'd need a dozer or big snocat to move it and a trail large enough to get it down. They'd work fine if you could drive to the site with a truck, but I wouldn't bother trying to do it anywhere remote.
    looks liek a few of you guys have given this a little thought.

I saw a news clip on building with them over Xmas break a few weeks ago and wanted to see how much it was. New 20' run 4k.

Ron

I can get a 40' for $1800 if they have a damaged corner. Easy fix if a guy wants to take the time to repair them.

I want to take 2 40' containers up with us. Set them 16' apart and put trusses over entire unit and wall the ends off. Cut some passage ways on the inside and I will end up with a shop that is 32'X40'

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I suppose getting one to a location could be a real pain in the ars in some situations.

When I get up there I might want a hunting cabin some day and a 20 footer might make a nice shack.
    Klick look at Ron's post.

I am thinking Ron probably builds Connex units for Slope Camps and does a couple on the side.

It is up to you what you want to do, but the more money you put into other things the more money you won't have on that "dream".

The company that I contacted is:

Robert O'Bannion
    RCS Salebox Operations
    robertobannion@rcsgroup.com
    http://www.rcsgroup.carrier.com/
    281-470-0304
    Fax:281-470-0160

Robert is very good at getting back to you. The website above has some great ideas in making one nice to live in.

Ron

I already have Ron's information put in the rolo dex. Didn't take but a minute.

I do not plan on doing a cabin out of one of these for quite some time, if I do. It was just an idea for people to kick around.

I am planning on shipping my stuff up though in 2 containers and building a shop out of them. I have 15 years as a millwright and carpenter. Building my shop is not going to be a big deal.

If and when I am ever reasy for a hunting cabin then I will be looking very hard at this company that Ron has posted. Sure would make it easy.

I wish I had your background. I can't weld to save my butt, but if I could the containers are cheap.

Here is from another quote:

New 10ft's unit = 3500.00 (one trip unit)
    Used 20ft's = 1800.00
    New 20ft's = 4000.00 (one trip unit)

Not bad at all.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I wish I had your background. I can't weld to save my butt, but if I could the containers are cheap.

Here is from another quote:

New 10ft's unit = 3500.00 (one trip unit)
    Used 20ft's = 1800.00
    New 20ft's = 4000.00 (one trip unit)

Not bad at all.

Ron
    Welding is not that tough to learn and can be done with just alittle practice. Get yourself a little wire feed and book. You will be wleding most of your needs in a few weeks. Seriously. I was self tought on a stick machine and got my WABO 1" unlimited on the first try. Wire feed is easy in comparison.

I want to take 2 40' containers up with us. Set them 16' apart and put trusses over entire unit and wall the ends off. Cut some passage ways on the inside and I will end up with a shop that is 32'X40'
    This is a great idea and the same setup is found all over in Alaska. In fact, I will be building one this summer using 20' cans.

Do you plan on shipping the cans up by truck or by container ship? Remember that most retired containers will not be allow on the ship, but you might be able to get Northland Services barge to take them. Northland is by far the cheapest over the water shipper. TOTE will take just about any container as long as it's strapped to one of their trailers. There are a couple companies that will sell you a seaworthy container and make the journey to Alaska as the containers last trip. Make sure you get everything cleared before you load it up and find out the hard way it can't travel.

PM me if you ship to Anchorage docks and need stuff moved to Tok.

Thanks AKDoug, These will be going up by truck. I have a friend down here with trucks and will be going up the same time as the trucks. Will have the contaiers delivered to the house we rent for the first year. Then move them over to a piece of property we find and buy.

I will use just one of the containers at first for a shop while we live in a rented place and build. Then when we make the move to our new home then I will build the big shop.

Remember to check and see if there is a forklift in town large enough to pick a forty and stuff inside There isn't one in my small town. To unload 40's we just chain them to a tree and drive out from under them. You wouldn't really want to do that full of stuff BTW... unless you are running a cab-over tractor it is not legal to haul double 40's on most of the Alcan. A standard tractor will put you too long.

For those of you who have seen them, how are they in the cold and how about the snow load?

Ron

I'd imagine folks would hose them down with a decent thickness of foam to provide some insulation. I can't imagine being in an uninsulated steel container in the winter, it makes me cold just thinking about it.

I'd thought if I ever got remote coastal property I'd have a pair of 20's shipped out, pull them onto a prepped level pad, and then build a cabin on top of them. Maybe one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast