Thread: Black Cod and Squid in PWS

Default Black Cod and Squid in PWS

Anyone do any good in PWS for squid of Black Cod. Any ideas or methods on catching these? Thanks

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

I haven't had a chance to try for them, but one of these days. For the black cod you need to fish deep, 150 fathoms or more. I've heard the N end of Montague is a good spot. No clue on the squid, I have some jigs but just haven't had a chance to try them at night.

I do some commercial fishing for black cod (sablefish) out in the Sound. We fish as deep as possible, often approaching 400 fathoms (2,400 feet). Once we get shallower than 1,500' or so, the catch becomes way lower, and once to less than 1,200' they are almost non-existant. Go deep, use squid for bait. They're not difficult to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I do some commercial fishing for black cod (sablefish) out in the Sound. We fish as deep as possible, often approaching 400 fathoms (2,400 feet). Once we get shallower than 1,500' or so, the catch becomes way lower, and once to less than 1,200' they are almost non-existant. Go deep, use squid for bait. They're not difficult to catch.
    We also would catch Black Cod of Kodiak long lining for Halibut, very deep, we used gray cod exclusively and they seemed to like it but we were targeting halibut.
    Would definitely be challenging going that deep with pole and line, slack tide would be your only chance I’d guess.
    Some eclectic reels will get you down beyond 2000 feet.
    Gooood eating fish if you can catch them.
    As for catching squid I’ve no clue how to catch them.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Specifically for Blackcod, herring will always outfish greycod,toss up with squid.Squid fishes longer,but herring has more oil,and is far cheaper and can be salted to cure.
    Blackcod tend to shallow up some in mid summer,but probably not enough to matter for anyone fishing with a pole,except for the most stubborn or lucky.
    I remember drifting around one afternoon 90 miles offshore of yakutat,beeuuttiful clear sunny flat millpond day,catching frypan sized blackcod on the surface with trout poles.
    In the deepest guts of Resurrection Bay there are modest numbers of BC down in the mud(and a few 200lbs+ Buttskies!)
    BC is a fantastic gourmet fish,an often overlooked(least in this country) yummy treat is the "collars".Basically the throat latch part,split pull out with your fingers,sliced very thin.Dab in a bit of soy n wasabi-YUMM

ak4195