Thread: automatic powder dispenser choice

Default automatic powder dispenser choice

I'm in the market for a powder dispenser/scale and I was looking for opinions as to which to get. RCBS, PACT, Lyman or others that are on the marker. Pros and cons? price vs value?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Default Old school, low tech and in almost in the stone age

Quote Originally Posted by eagle937 View Post
    I'm in the market for a powder dispenser/scale and I was looking for opinions as to which to get. RCBS, PACT, Lyman or others that are on the marker. Pros and cons? price vs value?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    My automatic powder dispenser is me.

I fill a bowl 2" deep with powder.

I take a Lee or Lee-type scoop and scoop up (with exactly the same motion every time) a measure of powder.

Dump the powder in my RCBS 505 scale and trickle up to the desired weight.

Dump the powder in the cartridge case.

Whenever the powder in the bowl falls to 1" to 1.25" deep, I refill it. (Easier to keep my scoop motions consistent)

Like I said, low tech. Scraping the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, which I never do because I always keep it filled at least an inch deep.

The only reason I posted this non-answer to your question is that I hope it might open readers to the possibility of "simpler is better, or at least OK". I figure I can be at least as accurate as an electronic scale and if I am half as fast, I am money ahead.

Go forth and enjoy your tools. I do not disapprove of going with the best conveniencesl I think they're great. I'm just different.

Lost Sheep

Talking yup thats what i do ! one lee scoop @ a time ...

a little slow , but works for me ..... since 1984
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I had the RCBS scale/dispenser combo and the key pad went out on it after about a year and a half. I picked up the Lyman 1200 next and it's been good for about two years now. The newest Lyman 1200 is faster and changing powders is easier.

In some cases simpler is better, but in this case the automatic scale/dispenser is much faster. It throws the next load before I'm done seating the bullet from the last load.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default new school

The purchase that has been the best bang for the buck in my reloading set up was upgrading to a PACT electric scale/ dispenser. I reload for rifle mostly these days and try to be pretty exact. I'm getting to old to squint at my old balance beam while I trickle ( usually one too many) kernals of powder.

PACT got my vote because of thier rock solid customer support on my chrony. I bought it used and ten years later when it broke they sent me a new one for free. (detailed in archives)

Current scale/dispenser have been trouble free for ~5 years.

A year or so ago I caught the RCBS electronic dispenser combo on sale. So far has worked great, no complaints. It is plenty fast for me, I usually seat a bullet or two while it is dispensing or some other task while waiting.

I'll say this, it is one of those tools I won't be without from now on, it will spoil you fast! I check it against my beam scale and that reminds me how much I appreciate it.

What Ozarks said: once you go 'lectric, you'll never go back. I kick myself for suffering all these years with only a beam scale. Always have it on hand to do a check weight every 5-7 drops though.

RCBS and don't look back.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The Lyman 1200 DPS3 Really gets it for me, it is fast enough, and accurate. I always check it on my 505 scale and consistantly gives readings that are with in a tenth of a grain. Wonder my it took me so long to switch? It has a warm up time of 30 minutes that takes a little getting used to but it well worth it to me.

JessMan

Default I have heard that

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    What Ozarks said: once you go 'lectric, you'll never go back.
    (truncated for focus)
    I have heard that, quoth the dinosaur. Up until this year I have been on dialup, and I stayed with Windows 3.1 until after Windows 98 Second Edition had been out for nearly a year. I am what you call a "late adopter".

One other consideration which has nothing to do with my backwardness is the question of, "Do you measure by weight or by volume?".

I ran across a thread on another forum that started out with the question of the "Effects of tiny weight variations" in accuracy. The subject drifted over to whether volumetric measure is inherently more accurate than measurement by weight.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/.../924102918/p/1

or post this in your browser address window

forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/924102918/p/1

Now, I am a dyed-in-the-wool devotee of measurement by weight, but the volumetric guys have some powerful arguments.

I just thought I would muddy the waters a little.

I finally suggested using both methods. Dump a series of charges volumetrically, then weight them all. Those that are all the same weight, keep, the rest, dump back in the hopper. Lotta work. Insane, even. But aren't all we reloaders a little insane?

Lost Sheep

Default thanks

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the impute--it's now clear as mud--as with many things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    I have heard that, quoth the dinosaur. Up until this year I have been on dialup, and I stayed with Windows 3.1 until after Windows 98 Second Edition had been out for nearly a year. I am what you call a "late adopter".

One other consideration which has nothing to do with my backwardness is the question of, "Do you measure by weight or by volume?".

I ran across a thread on another forum that started out with the question of the "Effects of tiny weight variations" in accuracy. The subject drifted over to whether volumetric measure is inherently more accurate than measurement by weight.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/.../924102918/p/1

or post this in your browser address window

forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/924102918/p/1

Now, I am a dyed-in-the-wool devotee of measurement by weight, but the tric guys have some powerful arguments.

I just thought I would muddy the waters a little.
    Lost Sheep
    I'm with you on the weight. To my way of thinking the amount of expansion comes from the amount of mass. So mass is what I want to know, and weight is the best way I am able to gage the mass. I use an RCBS powder measure to through my charges by volume. Now the measure gets set up by weight from my electronic scale and that gets checked with my old beam scale. I check the charges often as I through them with the powder measure, over 20 grains about every forth charge. Loading with my favorite pistol powder, Bullseye, I check every charge as they are so small an extra half grain is a big deal. So the way I do it is using both and is very fast to boot.

I stuck with the dialup till 2003 myself. . . but that was because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool tight wad.

Andy

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Another vote for the Lyman DPS III

I have had mine for over a year now and used it quite a bit. I only double check the first and last charge now as after double checking every 5th round from it for a year and NEVER finding a discrepancy I have a lot of confidence in it.

I still use my beam and electronic scales with my lee dippers and powder tricker on occasion……….. you know, for onesies, twosies kind of stuff. But if I plan to load 10 or more, I will go with the DPS III.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I use Lee dippers to load my DPS and then trickle the last few grains

Default How automatic is THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I use Lee dippers to load my DPS and then trickle the last few grains
    Hey, Wild,

How automatic is THAT? I mean, if you were truly automatic with it, you could do it in your sleep (sleep-loading? next comes sleep shooting)

Now, me, I am in the market for a powder dispenser which will count out 1,268 granules of 2400.

Lost Sheep (who is only up to sleep-typing)
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 01-25-2009 at 12:50. Reason: to make sure everyone knows this is (attempted) humor