Thread: Cooking elk

Question Cooking elk

Ok looked everywhere here and couldn't find anything about elk. My brother sent me some elk steaks. How would you cook it? Like deer steaks? Some people marinate in buttermilk for a day? Any suggestions? Thanks
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Do them like deer with milk, buttermilk whatever works for you.

Pan fry in butter or BBQ while brushing on butter and do not cook them more than medium rare. I prefer them blue myself.

butter, garlic, salt and pepper.

Default if you like

chicken fried....try this

dip in egg milk mixture
    roll in crackers finely crushed saltines
    cook in hot hot virgin olive oil till golden

serve with baked beans and green beans with bacon and onion

Oooh - I just had moose burgers for lunch and this elk talk is making me hungry again! I love elk!

Thanks for help guys/gals. I made some last night. I must say, I think I like elk better than deer. It was toooo yummy.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Thanks for help guys/gals. I made some last night. I must say, I think I like elk better than deer. It was toooo yummy.
    elk cooks pretty much like other wild meat....as it is very lean, and since they travel great distances....sometimes tough. the semi coarse, dark red meat is full of flavor and delicious when prepared in your favorite recipes.

i usually use a tenderizer (potato masher or sprinkle on),and cook at high heat turning once. generally well done meat will be tough, and so med or med rare is best. spices, even salt & pepper are best used just before serving.

braising (cook in liquid) works great if given time to slow cook. i then brown the meat on both sides, add broth or boullion and use the crock pot.

the rocky mountain elk foundation offers a couple of really great cookbooks that list all kinds of great elk and other recepes. they can be purchased directly from the rocky mountain elk foundation web site.

happy trails.
    jh

I like to sprinkle a bit of seasoned meat tenderizer on mine a couple hours before cooking it.