Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: H&R 12 guage project

  1. #1

    Default H&R 12 guage project

    I have a project I've been wanting to do for a while, and I'm not sure who can help in Anchorage. I have a H&R single shot 12 gauge that I want to do some work on. Being a single shot it is very light and a pleasure to carry when snowshoeing for hares and ptarmigan. In the fall, when the bears are still awake I always carry a few slugs in my pocket too.

    What I'd like to do is:

    Install front and rear sights so that I could actually it something with the slugs should I have to.

    Even better, thread the barrel to accept choke tubes, I could obviously benefit from using different chokes for different hunting applications including a rifled choke.

    Anyone know someone who can do this kind of work?

    Thanks, Bobble

  2. #2
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Steve at Alaska Custom or Vince at Precision Arms. I'm sorry I don't have their phone numbers right now. Steve's contact is on the banner of the Shooting Forums.

    I like the H&R too. I cut down a couple to 19". Boy! Do they handle quick when they're that short. I'm going to have them threaded for chokes as well.

  3. #3

    Default

    H&R offers or did last year that firearm in rifled barrel. Side note: did you know that they put a good size chunk of IRON in the buttstock wrapped in styrofome, It just lays in there to add weight. I have the 3 1/2" 12 Ga. and with the chunk of iron out, it is just over 3#'s. Sad to state I am not man enough to light it off with Triple Ought 3 1/2". Mine came with screw'in chokes. It might be cheaper to start with a new one..... They are only $123.00 new or were.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrell for choke tubes?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrel for choke tubes?
    No....But here is a different idea. I just went to their website and they offer a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. 3" slug gun 5 1/4 pounds, rifled, with 1913'rail scope base. So here is my idea, cut the barrel to length of your choice, and have a low power scope with quick detachable rings, and you just take the scope out of you pack and throw two leavers and the scope is on.

    As cheap as those H&R are you could keep yours and set up two more.

    I use my as a beater/thrasher/disposable walk'about gun, when not hunting, just exploring lost valleys. I payed $97.99 for mine, 3 years ago.

  6. #6

    Default

    Good idea, and that's what I use mine for. It is an inexpensive sturdy gun.

    If it was a fully rifled barrel, wouldn't that pretty much ruin it's use as a shotgun?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Good idea, and that's what I use mine for. It is an inexpensive sturdy gun.

    If it was a fully rifled barrel, wouldn't that pretty much ruin it's use as a shotgun?

    Yes...It would. It would be more apparent at distance. But a Spruce Hen range should be OK.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrell for choke tubes?
    I don't know about local, but Briley does it. It's been so long since I had them do any work, I'm reluctant to quote prices. But you should find an answer on the site I've linked. The work is excellent, BTW. I had an older Winnie 101 O/U 20 gauge done with it's very thin barrels. Looks like a factory job, and the chokes screw in and out like they were greased with butter.

  9. #9

    Default Ya gotta love a single shot!

    Especially the older (real) H&Rs, a true workhorse of the woods, truck, canoe and camp if ever there was one! You can still find them in the $50 or under range now and then.
    Every home in America should have at least 2!

  10. #10

    Default

    You can get a new rifled slug barrel here for $65
    http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
    Other options are listed as well

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    H&R offers or did last year that firearm in rifled barrel. Side note: did you know that they put a good size chunk of IRON in the buttstock wrapped in styrofome, It just lays in there to add weight. I have the 3 1/2" 12 Ga. and with the chunk of iron out, it is just over 3#'s. Sad to state I am not man enough to light it off with Triple Ought 3 1/2". Mine came with screw'in chokes. It might be cheaper to start with a new one..... They are only $123.00 new or were.
    I have 1 of the camo, 24" barrel 3.5" H&R's, steel bar has been removed to make it easier to carry.
    I'm 6'3" and weigh 240, after I pull the trigger with 3.5" 00 buck my glasses always end up somewhere up on my forehead! Make the first shot count if you wear glasses

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •