Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Thinking of getting a 358 Win Ruger Hawkeye

  1. #1

    Default Thinking of getting a 358 Win Ruger Hawkeye

    I am thinking of getting a Ruger 358Win Hawkeye soon. Would those of you who have one provide some comment on this cartridge and also load data.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    On a Starship
    Posts
    33

    Default Great rifle and cartridge, but....

    Beartooth,

    It's a great rifle and cartridge, but you should know there is currently NO ammunition being factory loaded. It's a 100% roll your own proposition. As long as you're ok with this, you'll be good to go.

    Kirk out.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. James T. Kirk View Post
    Beartooth,

    It's a great rifle and cartridge, but you should know there is currently NO ammunition being factory loaded. It's a 100% roll your own proposition. As long as you're ok with this, you'll be good to go.

    Kirk out.

    Winchester has it still on their web sight but that is all I do for my rifles - roll my own.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I am thinking of getting a Ruger 358Win Hawkeye soon. Would those of you who have one provide some comment on this cartridge and also load data.
    I haven't handled the Hawkeye, but currently own three rifles in 358 (Savage 99, Winchester 88, and a custom on a Carl Gustov bolt). I briefly owned one in Ruger M-77, but let it go to a friend who still owns it. It's a dandy and has been his favorite rifle for well over 20 years. I'm betting that if you like the details and handling of the Hawkeye in general, you'll REALLY like it in 358.

    I'm so out of date I guess, that I wasn't even aware that Winchester isn't loading factory ammo any more. I guess out of principal I should drop down to the store and buy up their stock. But it's also an indication of how easy it is to load for the round. Even when I don't have any brass handy, it's just a matter of a single pass of 308 brass through the 358 sizing die to produce it.

    I'm not one to post specific loading data due to the chance of errors, but the 358 is "friendly" to a large number of medium burning rate powders suitable for other medium sized cases. Basically anything that works well in a 308 or 7mm-08 is going to work well in the 358, with a nod toward the slightly slower ones for heavier bullets. I probably put 100 cast bullets through mine for each jacketed bullet, both for economy and pure fun. All of mine really thrive on the cast (RCBS 200 gr FNGC), indicating to me that it's a pretty ideal cast bullet cartridge- something you don't hear much about. At the same time, I can say that my rifles have never met a jacketed bullet they didn't like. And that includes everything from Sierra, Hornady and Remington RNs to Noslers in all weights and even the 250 grain Winchester Silvertip when you can find them. At the velocities of the 358, that old Silvertip is still one of the best big game bullets around, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Nosler for weight retention, expansion, and penetration.

    Yeah, I like it. Love it as a matter of fact. I'd be paying more attention to the Hawkeye if it was available in a leftie. And if THAT ever happens, I'm betting I'll own four 358's.

  5. #5

    Default

    Get a .350 Remington Magnum...ahem again LOL!!!

    You can still find plenty of .350 RM M 77 on the auction sites...as you know it will do everything the .358 Winchester will do and then some.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Get a .350 Remington Magnum...ahem again LOL!!!

    You can still find plenty of .350 RM M 77 on the auction sites...as you know it will do everything the .358 Winchester will do and then some.
    Nah. If I need more than my 358's, I just pull one of my 375's off the rack. Put's that puny 350RM to shame. There's always a bigger dog out there, aint there?

  7. #7
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    The .358 cal. was created so you wouldn't need anything else. 375's included.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The .358 cal. was created so you wouldn't need anything else. 375's included.
    No argument here. I can tell you that I'd sure rather carry and shoot one of my 358's, especially that Savage, than either of my 375's. That's how you spell Sweet Gun and Load.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Nah. If I need more than my 358's, I just pull one of my 375's off the rack. Put's that puny 350RM to shame. There's always a bigger dog out there, aint there?
    There are BB of course.

    The .350 though is one efficient big dog.

    57 grains of benchmark under a 225 gr. TSX gives over 2750 fps. out of Ruger that is hard to beat imo. and could never be considered puny.

    If I feel the need to get hammered more than that I can always grab the .340 Weatherby out of the closet as well.

    I was just limiting the discussion to .35 calibers and picking BT brain

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    There are BB of course.

    The .350 though is one efficient big dog.

    57 grains of benchmark under a 225 gr. TSX gives over 2750 fps. out of Ruger that is hard to beat imo. and could never be considered puny.

    If I feel the need to get hammered more than that I can always grab the .340 Weatherby out of the closet as well.

    I was just limiting the discussion to .35 calibers and picking BT brain
    You were reminding me I should not have let go of the 350 Rem Mag
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    You were reminding me I should not have let go of the 350 Rem Mag
    That was the general idea LOL!!!

    It is one GREAT mid-bore imho.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I was just limiting the discussion to .35 calibers and picking BT brain
    Actually, no, it wasn't about 35 calibers.

    The conversation is about the 358 Winchester in the Hawkeye.

    If you're gonna turn it into bigger is better and keep it to 35, then the 350 eats dust behind the 358 Norma Mag, the 358 STA, and the up-an-coming 358-375 Ruger. Lots of folks are happier with the 35 Whelen and the 35 Whelen AI that with the 350 for heavy bullets too.

    Back to the 358.

    I think it will be a dandy in the Hawkeye, with improvements over the already great M-77. I only let the M77 go because it wasn't left handed. I'd sure pick up a Hawkeye 358 if it was a lefty.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Actually, no, it wasn't about 35 calibers.

    The conversation is about the 358 Winchester in the Hawkeye.

    If you're gonna turn it into bigger is better and keep it to 35, then the 350 eats dust behind the 358 Norma Mag, the 358 STA, and the up-an-coming 358-375 Ruger. Lots of folks are happier with the 35 Whelen and the 35 Whelen AI that with the 350 for heavy bullets too.

    Back to the 358.

    I think it will be a dandy in the Hawkeye, with improvements over the already great M-77. I only let the M77 go because it wasn't left handed. I'd sure pick up a Hawkeye 358 if it was a lefty.
    Didn't mean to offend one of your "favorites" or your sensibilities.

    bt got the jist of my comments and that was my intent.

    There is always a "better" cartridge or caliber it just depends on your viewpoint.

    I was talking about the .350 RM because he had already done some load developement with said cartridge and seemed to genuinely enjoy it. That means he has dies and brass and experience to go along with it.

    Didn't know you were policing threads these days and deeming things worthy of conversation or not.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.
    Posts
    120

    Default the 358 winchester...

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Actually, no, it wasn't about 35 calibers.

    The conversation is about the 358 Winchester in the Hawkeye.

    If you're gonna turn it into bigger is better and keep it to 35, then the 350 eats dust behind the 358 Norma Mag, the 358 STA, and the up-an-coming 358-375 Ruger. Lots of folks are happier with the 35 Whelen and the 35 Whelen AI that with the 350 for heavy bullets too.

    Back to the 358.

    I think it will be a dandy in the Hawkeye, with improvements over the already great M-77. I only let the M77 go because it wasn't left handed. I'd sure pick up a Hawkeye 358 if it was a lefty.
    Hey all, wish I had one of those Hawkeyes in a left handed configuration chambered in the perfect 358 winchester. It would be a much better rifle than the Savage 99 in that chambering...which isn't much of a combination, but one that I'd settle for in trade so that Brown Bear could have a decent 358 to hunt with. You know, Bear Tooth, although I don't personally own a Hawkeye in that chambering, I do have a Very nice Ruger #1 in the 35 Whelen, it's got a 22" barrel and I find it has become one of my favorite packages. As for loads I will say that I've looked very close at what would work well in a .358 win. if I was limited by a 2.800" magazine. It is "similar" in length to my 358 WSM, and I'll say that I believe that .358 diameter bullets are well suited for short actions. I like the 225 swift A-frame in the short action, it's been a tremendous combination of weight retention and velocity, and simply crushes moose. I've always thought of the 35 Whelen as.., well.., unimpressive. But, the difference between what I "thought" and what I have had the pleasure to learn is something quite different indeed! Now, I've only used the 35 Whelen on Whitetails, and although my load (225 Barnes TSX @ 2623ft/sec. 15 shot avg.) doesen't appear on paper to be all that impressive, the wound channels and exit holes are far beyond what I had ever expected...and they are consistantly impressive. I've tried to explain to my dad how this combination seems to exceed what one would think it should. I believe that the 358 Winchester would be just as awe inspiring on game, but than I'm speaking from a biased love toward the 35's.

  15. #15
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Hey all, wish I had one of those Hawkeyes in a left handed configuration chambered in the perfect 358 winchester. It would be a much better rifle than the Savage 99 in that chambering...which isn't much of a combination, but one that I'd settle for in trade so that Brown Bear could have a decent 358 to hunt with. You know, Bear Tooth, although I don't personally own a Hawkeye in that chambering, I do have a Very nice Ruger #1 in the 35 Whelen, it's got a 22" barrel and I find it has become one of my favorite packages. As for loads I will say that I've looked very close at what would work well in a .358 win. if I was limited by a 2.800" magazine. It is "similar" in length to my 358 WSM, and I'll say that I believe that .358 diameter bullets are well suited for short actions. I like the 225 swift A-frame in the short action, it's been a tremendous combination of weight retention and velocity, and simply crushes moose. I've always thought of the 35 Whelen as.., well.., unimpressive. But, the difference between what I "thought" and what I have had the pleasure to learn is something quite different indeed! Now, I've only used the 35 Whelen on Whitetails, and although my load (225 Barnes TSX @ 2623ft/sec. 15 shot avg.) doesen't appear on paper to be all that impressive, the wound channels and exit holes are far beyond what I had ever expected...and they are consistantly impressive. I've tried to explain to my dad how this combination seems to exceed what one would think it should. I believe that the 358 Winchester would be just as awe inspiring on game, but than I'm speaking from a biased love toward the 35's.
    Ruger offers a left-handed Hawkeye rifle that is chambered in .308 Win. Perfect candidate for a rebarrel job to 358 Win.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ruger offers a left-handed Hawkeye rifle that is chambered in .308 Win. Perfect candidate for a rebarrel job to 358 Win.
    Thanks Matt, Maybe if I get Brown Bear to pick out the new barrel he'll feel better about the trade

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    canton,ny
    Posts
    8

    Default

    This past Christmas I treated myself to a really nice present from Santa. I bought a new Ruger hawkeye compact magnum in .338rcm. I think Ruger really got it right with this new hawkeye line, and I don't think you will go wrong with one. My only complaint is the new trigger that all of the gun writers have been praising, I mistakeingly thought that it was adjustable, it is not. Mine is not real heavy, arount 5 pounds, but there is considerable creep. I saw somewhere a replacement adjustable trigger and will probally be getting one.
    As for your choice of the .358, outstanding. I have an older Ruger m-77 carbine with the tang safety in .358. True, it is pretty much a handloaders cartridge, but it is real easy to load for. For practice loads I load either 200 grain hornadys or core lokts, and have used both on whitetails with great results. But my favorite load is the 225 grain ballistic tip, with a near max charge of imr4895. I shot a 410 pound blackie a couple of years ago with this load, entered on the near side shoulder, destroyed both lungs almost completely, and exited through the last rib on the opposite side. Smokey went down and never twitched. Thats the .358 win for you.

  18. #18

    Default

    Hopefully I will have one in a week or two. I am not choosing the stainless version because I do not like how it looks I do not like the shape or look of the plastic stock on it. I liked the MK II stainless look a lot better and the curved rubber but it had as apposed to the pointed version they have now because when you throw up the rifle the pointed corner grabs your clothing. Who at Ruger changed that was not thinking or does not hunt much if at all or just went for what they thought looked good. I do love the look and feel of the blued/walnut model and that covers any design thing I might not be crazy about. I have enough man made stocks on my rifles to last a life time. I will seal the stock from the weather and keep Tri-Flow on my rifle like I do my others and even carry some Tri-Flow with me when I am hunting in wet and rainy weather. Alaska is not the only place that is damp and wet most of the hunting season.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19

    Default

    Good luck with that rifle bt.

    I have some very interesting load data from Handloader magazine for the .358. Basically they bumped up the pressures a bit to make it comparable to the .338 Federal...if you are interested send me a PM.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Good luck with that rifle bt.

    I have some very interesting load data from Handloader magazine for the .358. Basically they bumped up the pressures a bit to make it comparable to the .338 Federal...if you are interested send me a PM.
    Will do because I am interested in any load data I can get for comparison with others and possible combinations that from past experience would allow me to shorten my load work and come up with an acceptable load with accuracy and velocity.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •