Thread: remington model 750 problems

Default remington model 750 problems

Almost two years ago I bought a new Remington model 750 carbine in .308. I have had the same problem with it ever since I first fired it. When there is a cartridge on the right hand side of the magazine(one or three cartridges in the mag) as the bolt tries to cycle back, either manually,or as the result of a fired cartridge, the lug on the bottom of the bolt deeply gouges the shoulder of the cartridge in the mag, resulting in a malfunction. I have tried Remington green box 150's, and Federal fusion 150's with the same results. The first fix I tried was a different magazine, and it still did the same thing. The rifle has now been back to the Remington factory four times, they claim to have replaced most of the moving parts in the rifle the first two visits there, and the last two times they tried to tell me there is nothing wrong with it, that it must be the result of "shooter error." What a crock. But it looks as though I may have burned my bridge with Remington though, I may have got a little hot with them. Anyhow, it seems that the magazine is not quite in the right location to facilitate reliable feeding. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would sure love to hear anything you can offer. By the way, with a Leupold vari-x 1 2x7 on top and 150 grain Remington factory ammo I get .75" groups, so I would really like to get this gun in working order.

Are you shooting it on a bench...? or Are you in any way pushing up on the bottom of the magazine...? or are you having the palm of your off hand under the magazine....? My guess is one way or another you are exerting upward pressure on the magazine. You may be doing it and not knowing your doing it. But, I may be wrong.......

nope,no pressure on the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel View Post
    nope,no pressure on the magazine.
    DUMP the Pig...and get a new one. Sometimes you just get a OINKER. And it sounds like you have made every effort. Good luck.

Default Repairs?

Miguel, you said you sent the gun to Remington, just by chance have you tried an authorized repair service center? There is one in Verona, NY. I think sometimes a hands on showing may get better results. This is assuming you did not hand deliver to Remington. The gouging of the cartridge would not seem too safe to me, a thought I would convey to the repair shop if you took it there. I am really surprise Remington did not offer a new gun if they could duplicate your problem. It does sound like the magazine is in too far. Good luck, Mark

http://www.remington.com/support/repair_services/

that's what gun shows are for, half the stuff is broken, the other half is of dubious ownership

In spite of all the other advice, I've got to ask. Is this the original magazine or has it been swapped out? I can't help but think this is a magazine problem.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

He said the first cure he tried was to buy a new magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    He said the first cure he tried was to buy a new magazine.

Oops! I'll learn to read someday.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Oops! I'll learn to read someday.
    I did the same thing. Me bad also.

The other option is the rotating bolt head is malfunctioning......????