Thread: Fly box and inserts system...

Denver, Colorado

Default Fly box and inserts system...

Finally found the time to finish this project. I still have to add a lot of my flies to the inserts but I figured now is a good time to post pics and info so if someone else likes this or anything they could do it before the summer starts.

After deciding I needed a better way to organize my flies I thought of ways to make inserts that would fit into the front pocket of my fishpond chestpack. That way I could swap out inserts based on hatches, rivers, time of year, etc. Along with that I would need fly boxes to hold the inserts because my chest pack only holds one. Which then made me think I would need a bigger case to hold the inserts I'm not using at that time.
    I found the C&F system and Scientific Anglers System X online but both were very expensive, 6 inserts, plus the case and three fly boxes would have cost me $200. So I set out to do it much much cheaper (and my inserts are much bigger than the C&F ones).

So here's the pics and how I did it.......
    I found foam door hangers at Hobby Lobby. The foam matched exactly in thickness and density with the foam I already had in my fishpond pack. So I cut them out to match in size, basing the size from the first one that I have:

Then for some of them I used a box cutter to cut out the "slats" for fly hooks to be inserted into. I also left some just whole because I seem to like those for certain flies too.

As you can see it's all up to you what size and shape you make the cut-outs. The white one it working great for my streamers and wooly buggers.

Once I cut out the pieces I started looking for something to back them up with for support. It had to be thin, a little flexible but not too much, and cheap. To my astonishment this is what worked best:
    I found a good use for these signs after all

Cut out a piece to fit the foam and used gorilla glue to bond them together:

Once the glue dried I cut it out and placed 3 velcro strips on the back:

Inserts are now done once I repeated those steps a dozen times. Now I had to make the case and fly boxes.

I found this felt material with a sticky back for 59 cents a sheet at hobby lobby that attaches to velcro nicely:

Also found this clear case (8.99 I think) that I placed the felt material into:

The fly boxes I found at sportsmans warehouse for $4 each:

I ripped the foam out carefully, used a hair dryer to heat up the glue and make it easier, so that I could use that foam for other inserts too:

Placed the felt material into the fly boxes:

Done. Now all I had to do was start filling it up and making sure the the weight of the flies wouldn't be too much for the smaller strips of velcro. Worst case I might replace those later, but that will be easy.
    Here's more pics:

I'll have to calculate the total cost, but I'm estimating less than $30-40 in materials.

Please feel free to comment, critic, post questions, or whatever

soon to be back in Alaska

Great post.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.

Thumbs up Looks great!

Thatís cool, very easy to find them that way.

Thanks for going to the trouble to post it, you put a lot of work into this post also.

very creative, I love it. Thanks for sharing--great pics
    NRA Lifetime Member