Thread: 21st Annual R. Freisinger Ice Fishing Jamboree at Jewel Lake

Default 21st Annual R. Freisinger Ice Fishing Jamboree at Jewel Lake

Just a note for those interested, those with kids that might be interested, those with special needs that might be interested...open to any and all:

21st Annual Richard Friesenger Ice Fishing Jamboree will be held on January 24 and 25 from 10am to 3pm. Come on over to Jewel Lake (off 88th st) and ice fish. Dress warm and have a ball!!! We drill the holes, provide tackle and bait, a warm up shack, and hope that you have a good time. This annual community event is FREE, and is supported by donations from several businesses in our community, Anchorage Parks and Rec, Alaska Sportfishing Association, and others. Please join us to fish or volunteer to help out.

Default Need help:

If you have a power auger with an 8" blade (nothing bigger then 8" for safety reasons) and some free time Sat. or Sun. morning, we could use a few extras just for making holes for the kiddos to fish in. You don't have to stay if you don't want to, just show up around 9:30 and volunteer to drill some holes.

If any one wants to really get into it and has an Aqua-view, the kids would LOVE that....(so would most of the adults)

Thanks

Does anyone know if they stocked the lake for the event this year? I understand there were only a few fish caught in the last couple years.

I don't think they ever stocked the lake "for the event." They stock the lake, we try to catch them. Last year was pretty dismal fishing. Hopefully this year will be better, but like all fishing you never really know until you try. I'll be out there shortly, so I'll let ya'll know how today goes.

Default Update

Just got in from Jewel Lake. I have to say fishing was awesome...and that's not exaggerating. I think every kid I saw put a line in the water caught at least one, with most getting several. It was a bit chilly with the wind, but fishing was great compared to last year. Mostly small, typical stocker rainbows, but at least one that was 18" or so. Lots of free hot drinks, popcorn, and other snacks in the warming tent as well.

If you just want to go ice fishing here in town, go hit Jewel Lake...whether it's for the jamboree or just for yourself. The fish are plentiful and hungry. Will be back out again tomorrow. I might even fish a bit myself in between volunteer duties.

Why is there no "edit" function on this forum?

Anyway, they are rainbows and landlocked kings, not just rainbows. Apparently they just stocked the kings in December, which would explain why there are so freaking many...lol.

Just to clear things up, Fish and Game has nothing to do with this. They have, in fact, gotten in the way of planning over the years and then often tried to take credit for it, i.e. the biologist quoted in ADN's article about it in Sunday's up-coming paper.

Fish and Game volunteered at this year's event, which was sponsored by the Swim Like A Fish Foundation. F&G provided augers, dug holes, baited hooks, provided several new rods to be given away, and sold fishing licenses. This was the first year F&G has volunteered at the annual event. I don't know where the statement that they are trying to take credit comes from or that they have gotten in the way of planning. I agree that it was a fun day for everyone who showed up and all the volunteers are appreciated for their time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Fish and Game volunteered at this year's event, which was sponsored by the Swim Like A Fish Foundation. F&G provided augers, dug holes, baited hooks, provided several new rods to be given away, and sold fishing licenses. This was the first year F&G has volunteered at the annual event. I don't know where the statement that they are trying to take credit comes from or that they have gotten in the way of planning. I agree that it was a fun day for everyone who showed up and all the volunteers are appreciated for their time and effort.
    Swim Like a Fish did an awesome job putting it together this year. I'm glad F & G helped out this year. As you said, it's the first year they have. Out of 21. The trying to take credit comment comes from past experience with this event and trying to deal with F & G in the planning stages. I won't get all negative, because it turned out great...but one example of "taking credit" comes directly from the ADN article today where the biologist is expalining the 8" holes:

"We do that so people don't fall in," Baumer said.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive after the years, but the use of "we" and being a F & G volunteer at the event makes it sound like F & G is somehow behind it.

I'm not knocking Fish and Game in general. I've been involved one way or another in this event for 6 years, and I know from that experience as well as stories from the original founder and brainchild of the event that things haven't always been easy with Fish and Game. I'm glad they helped out, finally, and that things went really well for all. I know the kids were having blast!