Thread: Less that 4 months to baiting season!!!

Default Less that 4 months to baiting season!!!

I know there won't be any bears out then, but I'll still be chomping at the bit April 15 (opening day in my area) getting stuff to the woods to get the station set up!
    This will be the third year I've played with baiting & I've learned a bunch the 1st two yrs.
    I'll have a trail cam for the 1st time this year & I'm really looking forward to that.
    I'll also be playing with a new toy, a Marlin Guide Gun in 450 Marlin. I had planned on bowhunting but will probably be moving into a different house the 1st few weeks of May (no getting around that schedule) so I'll probably take the Marlin to make sure I can make the limited days (hours) spent count.

Anyone else getting excited?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default baiting

cant wait either!!!

i plan to take the baiting class early next month, so after that i will be ramping up to give baiting a try...pretty excited as it should be a way for me to get my 10 year old daughter into her first bear. she recently became a certified hunter and is chomping at the bit to get out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

have already collected a 55 gallon drum of fried chicken grease from local restaurant. and several bags of rice to soak in it. 5 gallons of molasses from feed store, and pure vanilla and anise to make scent sprays with... the real stuff lingers longer.. don't go imitation.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Where...

Where do you get your anise? I heard a rumor that once upon a time that Costco or Sams used to have a large bottle of anise for a very good price. Otherwise, it gets kind of pricey at an ounce per bottle from Carrs or Freddies.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i just get a few small bottles from Fred's or Sam's as i find them and mix it with a light olive oil so it sticks around. usually 2 quarts will get me through the season unless it is a really wet one. but i spray the underside of the spruce and heavy brush where the rain does not get to often.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default baiting classes?

Hey guys, Im trying to find some info on a baiting class this winter...befor the spring season.
    Any info? thanks, Im in the valey.

2009 BEAR BAITING CLINICS (so far!)

Anchorage

• January 20th, Tuesday, 5:30pm- 7pm. Held at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range. Limit 40 students. Sign up at ADF&G or call 267-2257, 267-2187.
    • February 4th, Wednesday, 5pm 6:30pm. Held at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range. Limit 40 students. Sign up at ADF&G or call 267-2257, 267-2187.
    • February 7th, Saturday, 8am-9:30am. Held at Captain Cook Hotel. No signup list just show up.
    Fairbanks

• One class in late March, two classes in early April at UAF. No signup list just show up. Please check back in February for dates and times.
    Kenai

• March 25, Wednesday, 6pm -9pm. Cook Inlet Aquaculture Center. No signup list just show up.
    • April 24, Friday, 6pm 9pm. Sports and Recreation Shot at Sports Center. No signup list just show up.
    Matsu

• One class in late March, one class in early April at Colony High School. No signup list just show up. Please check back in February for dates and times.
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...e.hit_calendar

meet on face book here

Default baiting classes

Thanks Vince

Default Baiting

Hey Guys-
    When do you normally start seeing a good amount of bear starting to emerge? I was hoping the later end of Apr cause I'll be gone by the mid of May.

Default Crossbow for Bear

I prefer to use a crossbow for bear. I have had success with a .45-70, a 20 gauge with slug, muzzleloader, but, the crossbow is my favorite weapon for bear baiting. And, yes indeed, I am itching for the spring hunt! Maybe that big ole cinnamon will come in again this year and afford me a shot.
    Never shot a bear more than one time. With patience one can get the "perfect" shot. In bear hunting one shot, one kill should be the mantra. I for one do not want to follow a blood trail of a wounded bear!
    My dad always told me that there is nothing meaner than a bear with a sore arse.
    Photo is of an interior black with a skull measurement of 19 1/2 inches. Weighed in over 300 pounds. Usually I watch a bear for quite a while before taking the shot. Not on this one, as soon as he gave me the chance I let one fly right through his heart!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my area (kenai) Mother's Day weekend is traditionaly when it starts getting good.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default stink

for those that arent into the sweets or like a good stink for bear bait try some fish sauce from sagaya. pour the bottle in an old dead stump and hold you nose while you do this. this stuff is nasty!!

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    for those that arent into the sweets or like a good stink for bear bait try some fish sauce from sagaya. pour the bottle in an old dead stump and hold you nose while you do this. this stuff is nasty!!
    Just don't do it on the Kenai!
    No fish or fish biproducts for bait.
    Vance in AK.

Default April can't come soon enough

I wait all winter to go bear baiting. I normally am there long before the bears. I never know when they will show up. That's what I tell the wife.

Thats one nice bear

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    I prefer to use a crossbow for bear. I have had success with a .45-70, a 20 gauge with slug, muzzleloader, but, the crossbow is my favorite weapon for bear baiting. And, yes indeed, I am itching for the spring hunt! Maybe that big ole cinnamon will come in again this year and afford me a shot.
    Never shot a bear more than one time. With patience one can get the "perfect" shot. In bear hunting one shot, one kill should be the mantra. I for one do not want to follow a blood trail of a wounded bear!
    My dad always told me that there is nothing meaner than a bear with a sore arse.
    Photo is of an interior black with a skull measurement of 19 1/2 inches. Weighed in over 300 pounds. Usually I watch a bear for quite a while before taking the shot. Not on this one, as soon as he gave me the chance I let one fly right through his heart!

Earliest I've scored is May 16. I started getting hit late April, early May this year, but no score till nearly the end of May. There was a big boar hit one of my stands the first week of May, but I wasn't baiting regularly enough and he moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i just get a few small bottles from Fred's or Sam's as i find them and mix it with a light olive oil so it sticks around. usually 2 quarts will get me through the season unless it is a really wet one. but i spray the underside of the spruce and heavy brush where the rain does not get to often.

You can get the Anise oil that is oil based as opposed to alcohol based (which is what they sell in the grocery stores) at hippie shops and or on line and you'll be suprised how much better it works. It actually bonds with the cooking oil and holds the strength of its scent for far longer, even if it rains for days. Your station will completely wreak of anise for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    You can get the Anise oil that is oil based as opposed to alcohol based (which is what they sell in the grocery stores) at hippie shops and or on line and you'll be suprised how much better it works. It actually bonds with the cooking oil and holds the strength of its scent for far longer, even if it rains for days. Your station will completely wreak of anise for weeks.

thats a good tip Cub, thanks...any good leads on hippie shops?

meet on face book here

Theres one on Trainer Gate Road in Fairbanks, cant remember the name of it. Been a while since I bought from them, for the last 3-4 years I have been ordering it online in larger quantities. I can get 8 oz delivered via USPS for the same price that place on Trainer Gate sells a 2 oz bottle for.