Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cellular Antenna

Default Cellular Antenna

Have been thinking about installing a cellular antenna on the boat for (hopefully) increased range in PWS. Has anyone done this and if so, how much of an impact on range/clarity did it have? Initial thought is that this could have a decent impact.

The first thing you need is good service. ACS or Copper Valley. I have a Digital Anntenna with the cable adapter. I have receive calls at over 50 miles out in the Gulf and all over PWS. The main anntenna is located on Naked Island.

Default They work good

I have one on my boat, just a $50 radio shack deal. Gives me bars where I have none without it, definetly worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Buck View Post
    Have been thinking about installing a cellular antenna on the boat for (hopefully) increased range in PWS. Has anyone done this and if so, how much of an impact on range/clarity did it have? Initial thought is that this could have a decent impact.
    I added a Wilson omnidirectional antenna this spring and I get signal where I normally do not. Captaindd is spot on. You need to have either ACS or Copper Valley to get signal off the Naked Island tower. If I am not mistaken, Captaindd is running an amplifier with his setup, too. I am just running the antenna, but will probably add the amplifier this season. I purchased mine at Frigid North off of Spenard, here in Anchorage. They carry the amps, too. Here is a thread talking about this very thing: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29295
    Last edited by spoiled one; 01-21-2009 at 09:47. Reason: add something
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I had a combo VHF / Cellular on mine and it worked great right up to the time I put the boat on the trailer and pulled under the cover at the gas pump with it still up - it didn't work so well after that.

Smile Rambling Raven

I thought I was the only one who did that???!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    I had a combo VHF / Cellular on mine and it worked great right up to the time I put the boat on the trailer and pulled under the cover at the gas pump with it still up - it didn't work so well after that.
    I went through the Whittier tunnel with my VHF antenna up. It reaches 22'+/-. I realized just as I entered the tunnel. Fortunately it cleared. I have not forgotten since.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 01-21-2009 at 13:22. Reason: fat fingered the keys

Talking

I have my boat to help eliminate phone use. If it was bigger I would use it for an anchor.

Default Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I thought I was the only one who did that???!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Is that anything like backing your, meaning my, boat into a tree? Felt like a dunce, not sure if getting older has anything to do with clutz or not???

Default I did it too!!

I went through the tunnel with my VHF antenna up too. It was my second time through with my new boat. I remembered and the panic hit about 200 yards from the end. It didnt touch a thing. I have a plasticized check list now, both for launching and retrieving. Forgetting something as simple as raising the outdrive can be very expensive.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Question Southeast?

Interesting thread, thanks for posting. After reading, but not understanding most of it, does anyone have an idea of how this might work in the Wrangell-Prince Of Wales area? Sure would be easier, and cheaper! than a satellite phone.

You'll have to check with your service provider to see where they have cell sites.

I started with ACS just to have coverage in the sound. Even without an external antenna I'm suprised at the areas I've been able to make and recieve calls.

So it looks like I'm SOL with AT&T

Very good thread here. Allot of good info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

sGCI is extending its coverage area and it looks as though they'll cover PWS by this fall as well.

Many thanks for the information - much appreciated! I currently have service with ACS and reception (with no external antenna) has been spotty. I'll take up Spoiled One's advice and head over to Frigid North - they're a class A outfit. Appreciate the link to the other thread.

Default Verizon works in PWS

I am on a Verizon system, actually a Verizon local partner, and it works fine in PWS off the Naked Is. tower. All depends on whether your cell provider has a reciprocal contractor with Copper Valley Wireless.

I tried the cheapo magnetic cell phone booster antennas, 2 brands, didn't do a thing for me.

What product name and price are you talking about for the booster antenna with amplifier that works well?

Default Im missing something here.

Why would you take your cell out on a trip to paradise? You can call the Coast Guard if you get in a bind.

Default Weather

Hey Smokum, PM me about the progress on your boat.

The reason I put a Digital cell antenna on the boat was for emergencies and in particular to access weather. I can dial up the internet and have a bookmark for marine weather in places I can't get it on the VHF radio.

Doesn't mean you have to have the phone on when not needed.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    Why would you take your cell out on a trip to paradise? You can call the Coast Guard if you get in a bind.
    It helps me get more "kitchen passes". I can call and tuck in my 4 and 6 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    What product name and price are you talking about for the booster antenna with amplifier that works well?
    I am using a wilson omnidirectional antenna. I purchased it at fridgid north here in Anchorage. I think it was under $100. Wilson makes a booster that costs under $300 that works in conjuction with the external antenna very well, too.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 01-25-2009 at 23:45. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast