Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail deer hunting

Default Blacktail deer hunting

We are planning on doing a deer hunt and need some advise for transporters. We have talked about northern Kodiak or POW island. Time of year would be September. Who have you guys used for transport both air taxi or water? Thanks

Default Duplicate

My friend you have choosen to post about a subject with volumes of previous information. You'll need to utilize the search engine available on this site. Look for transport but also look for threads with success in the areas your interested in. Board members before you have often gone to great length describing their trip and have included recomendations for transport.

Air or Boat there are literally hundreds of options depending on where exactly you want to go. Both of those island are tremendously large.

Have fun with your planning and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Default Air Transport

You can't go wrong with either Sea Hawk or Andrew Air in the town of Kodiak. I have used both and have nothing but praise for them. There are lots of recommendations for both in the forum archives.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Old Harbor, kodiak island

I'm a transporter out of Old HArbor on the eastside of Kodiak and we have access to over 77,000 acres of private land with plenty of deer. Please visit my website and contact my references for more info. www.kodiakcombos.com

i think its gonna be hard to beat what jeffs got going in his backyard....talk to F&G about his place there and they'll tell you its got the best winters on the island and deer numbers are probably better there than just about anywhere else due to the warmer coastal winds that come up from the south...
    sound right jeff?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Harvey's

Harvey's has always done a good job for us out of Kodiak. He fly's a Widgeon and is conveniently located right across the parking lot from Alaska Airlines.

http://www.harveyflyingservice.com/

Default Southern Kodiak

I would consider the south side of the island. South tends to have a smaller winter kill and less hunting pressure. Lot's of concern that this winter may be a bad year for blacktail.

Sea Hawk Air:
    I have flown with Andrews too, they are both good. What sets Roland and Sea Hawk aside, is they are a small operation. Roland is the only pilot, so I can always count on the skill level of the pilot and the quality of the aricraft. Of course from what I can tell both have top notch equipment and services. Roland is a bit more personalized and I like that.

Seahawk Air!

Great company, good prices, very friendly, Roland is an excellent pilot. My dad and I have used them all 4 times deer hunting on Kodiak. Any where you want, just what your budget allows.

P.S. beginning/end of November is a better time, that is the approximate rutting time I beilve (correct me if im wrong). But be warned the deer numbers are way down from what they were. A lot more harder hunting. We went from seeing 25 bucks in a day one year to the next year fighting to find 4 the whole 10 day trip.

winter kill is selective..hard to understand but it is. certain geographic areas have milder winters than an area 5 miles away. certian areas on the island like the 77,000 acres private land kodiakcombo's has rights to are hit with a mild winter wind that comes straight outa the south, you get into a bay with alot of north facing slopes and the snow lasts longer, freezer harder and is over generaly much colder than a south facing area. Areas near were deer winter will almost always have better deer numbers, take a wintering area and move off about 3-5 miles and tada....deer.
    Like the other poster mentioned, i used to see about 25-35 deer a day and last year we saw about a dozen a day, but we killed better than average bucks and saw a lot more fawns than in the past. Less deer made us hunt harder, producing some better bucks, we were more selective. Don't let the deer numbers get you down, it used to be an awesome hunt, now its just a great hunt...its all relative.
    The advice you hear on here will almost all be good, and so far thats been right, my advise would be steer clear of the west side of the island and the north side....head south, maybe south east for better deer numbers.
    Master guide 212

SeaHawk was awesome for my son and I. The lake I wanted to fly to was still frozen for my goat hunt and there were simply too many folks on the other lakes I wanted. I gave up on the goat hunt and asked Roland to take us to a good place for deer. Not only did he do that (and my son killed a good buck) he also charged me less than he quoted for my goat hunt. I wasn't expecting that at all, I figured I'd just pay what we originally agreed upon. He also gave my son lessons on how the plane worked on the flights to and from the lake A super guy and a super operation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

For Kodiak there is only one choice: Seahawk.

Default Kingfisher

I'll throw one out there for kingfisher air. Flew with them twice. Got some great bucks. Nice pilots brothers Kyle and Glenn. I never see many people recommend them. Im not sure why cus they were great for my party both times. Price was good too. Much cheaper than I anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I'll throw one out there for kingfisher air. Flew with them twice. Got some great bucks. Nice pilots brothers Kyle and Glenn. I never see many people recommend them. Im not sure why cus they were great for my party both times. Price was good too. Much cheaper than I anticipated.
    You're right they are good guys. I went to high school with Glenn and flew with him before they were Kingfisher. We go with Seahawk these days mainly because of the beaver and good service. I'm sure Glenn is doing a great job these days and knows all of the good spots too.

i've never seen kingfisher down at the sea plane base, only at the lake in town and i've never seen them in the air....?
    Master guide 212

Default Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    You can't go wrong with either Sea Hawk or Andrew Air in the town of Kodiak. I have used both and have nothing but praise for them. There are lots of recommendations for both in the forum archives.
    I used Andrew Air for my bear and deer hunt this past fall. They are a great operation and even recommended a different part of the area I was planning to hunt based on their knowledge of the area. Worked out great for both my partner and I. Steve Larsen flew us out (he was the guy that helped save the AF dude mauled by the bear on his deer hunt this year). They were really flexible and helpful. Side note - Sea Hawk was fully booked in Jan when I was planning my Oct/Nov hunt, so if you want them you need to book early.

Fuse

i've never seen kingfisher down at the sea plane base, only at the lake in town and i've never seen them in the air....?
    They were hustling on August 20th when I was down there. They were flying their BushHawks off the farthest left (looking from land) dock at the new seaplane base last year.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default A second for Kingfisher

I think Glen doesn't get as much press because he flies the bushhawk...smaller payload than the Beaver...they also fly off the lake/pond. Even though their from the area (and have been associated with fly-in fishing/hunting through their family for a long, long time) I think they only started flying for themselves in the last 10 years, so they're pobably not as well known. Both Glen and Kyle are very knowledgeable.
    For deer, goat, or fly-in fishing they'd be great. For bear and elk you may want a bigger plane.
    They're prices are the best, in my opinion...but you can't lose with Andrews or Seahawk either.

s

Wink Careful

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I'm sure Glenn is doing a great job these days and knows all of the good spots too.
    Careful, you don't want to get them in trouble. They are transporters, not guides.

Thumbs up spread the wealth boys

I kow you all got your preferences but i`m gonna say this about the whole bunch flying out of Kodiak. They are all top notch and very coopertive in helping each other out. They fly in some pretty tough enviroment and do everthing they can to keep to schedules. SOme times the single plane guys get a little behind but they break their butts to stay on time and will go the extra mile for a look around.
    One thing for the Bush Hawk is it can haul just a little more than a 206. I use em all and have known em for years and I would go anywhere anytime with any of them.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default blacktails in backyard

No matter how cold and snowy the Island gets the deer will make it, when the population exceeds the food sourse is when you see all the deer starving on the beach.

With these mild winters I'm anticipating another "boom" in our area, its going to interesting what the tag limit will be for 09. THe duck season just ended yesterday and we been out and about for a week strait and spotted a few little guys forging, so it looks good for another tag for does. Your right on BRNBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast