Thread: Glacier Craft

Default Glacier Craft

Is Glacier Craft having hulls built outside? I looked at three today with 3 axle King trailers that were just shipped up no names on them but looked just like a Glacier craft. No floors but the fuel tank was in and floor structure was there.

I was in their shop a couple of weeks ago and they were still building them there in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Is Glacier Craft having hulls built outside? I looked at three today with 3 axle King trailers that were just shipped up no names on them but looked just like a Glacier craft. No floors but the fuel tank was in and floor structure was there.
    A quick phone call to the builder, Scott (333-4012), will satisfy your inquisitive mind. He should be able to answer any of your questions.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Oh guys,

They were just building them outside until it got warmer. They couldn't get their beads to stick and thought that Seattle would be better. And it was, that is until the newly built hulls washed down the river into the sound. So, they moved the ones that didn't and moved them back up here. It really isn't that complicated. You guys seriously didn't know that?

Default GC

Got my answer today.

OOO- so they are in . I hadn't heard. Kool

Default ????????

You going to let us in on it?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Got my answer today.

Drifter,

That's great! What was the answer to your question again? DTOL is DYING to know. He clearly doesn't want to find out that his boat was made from left over low grade aluminum slag from Coors Light cans by some second rate boat builder in China as it would clearly end any bragging rights Glacier Craft has. Look carefully on the "Volvo" stern drive. It actually says "Vulva". I appologize in advance as I just couldn't help myself.......

Default I know my boat.

I know exactly the materials my boat was made from and I know the quality that was built into it. I watched it being built from start to finish. I know the quality of the welds and the innovation and creativity that went into fabricating the things I added to the basic Glacier Craft hull.

I was just trying to get some clarity from a very confused thread.

Denny.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Oh Denny,

It was apparent enough that I was only kidding....... I think everyone who regulars this site knows that I think very highly of Glacier Craft boats. In fact, I'd love to have one and I'd love to have one like yours as I love diesels.

Just one silly question, Denny. Did you really watch your boat being built from start to finish? If so, that was a serious time commitment If I did that my wife would really miss me. Or would she? Hmmm.... better not to risk it.

Have a good night Denny and sorry to ruffle your feathers a bit. It was mean to make you chuckle.......

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    I know exactly the materials my boat was made from and I know the quality that was built into it. I watched it being built from start to finish. I know the quality of the welds and the innovation and creativity that went into fabricating the things I added to the basic Glacier Craft hull.

I was just trying to get some clarity from a very confused thread.

Denny.
    How does a person afford to take enough time off from work to buy a Glacier Craft and watch it built from start to finish?

Default GC Buyers and the Build Process

Obviously I couldn't and didn't camp out at the GC shop. Many of the GC buyers that live or work in Anchorage are able to stop in and view progress on their boats at least once or a couple times a week.

We are welcomed, especially on Friday afternoons as things are winding down for the day and weekend. At this time we usually have a chance to talk to everyone and deal with any issues that might be pending. To state the obvious, this couldn't happen if it disrupted the work flow of the shop.

As with any boat, the GC isn't built that fast and you can see and have input on most every aspect of the build. This becomes especially important during the final fitting and finishing of the boat.

One of the things that convinced me to purchase a GC was a busted boat that was brought in for repair. A new GC owner ran his boat upon a rock pile at about 30 mph. It did some major damage to the engines, to say the least, and gouged and flattened a 4 foot section of the forward part of the hull. There was no breach in the hull.

The guys at GC cut out the damaged section, fabricated a replacement, welded it in and you couldn't even tell were it was. I'm sure Scott would show you the pictures if you stopped in and asked.

My boat is made from the same materials as that boat.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

So did they get the mystery boats moved to the shop yet?

Default Someone

Would someone please PM me with the answer?

I'm happy with my 22ft NorthRiver Seahawk but I'm contimplating a 26ft-28 boat for the future (2-3yrs).
    Have the most interest in the SeaWolf, Lifetimer and GlacierCraft Boats.
    Some will remember my previous experience with GlacierCraft (negative), but my understanding is the responsible party is no longer with the organization. I was always impressed with quality of build for the GC boats and would like some feedback on the changes to the boats and of the organization since my last look 2006.

Ed

Or better yet, will someone post the answer. I don't think it says anything good or bad if they are doing some of their boats out of state, but it makes the post so much more interesting as well as useful if someone answers the question that is asked.

Jim

It doesn't matter where they are made as long as they continue to make them right. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

If your are concerned with who built the hull all you need to do is check the Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC) which is the first three letters of the Hull Identification Number (HIN).

OFH = Alaska Offshore Marine

IAR = Armstrong Marine Incorporated

Does it make any difference if the hull was made by Armstrong or Glaciercraft - I don't think so - both are good builders.

If I were interested in a Glaciercraft and it had an Armstrong MIC it would not bother me in the least or stop me from buying it.

SB