Thread: August Ox

Default August Ox

I was asked to post this to share here.
    I post on Gunboards sometimes, (Im a Mosin Nagant collector),its a place Ive been a few years back, and again, after a year and 1/2 with out internet.

Its in "August Context" because I wrote it then and posted while gassing up in Kotzebue.
    I dont really want to post old storys, except as an example.

I hope the repitition of my seasonal events hasnt got you all yawning by now, so here I am again....
    Ox hunting.
    We now have a general "Open" season, so we have to hunt Ox ASAP, to beat everyone and his dog to them....LOL!
    Only 16 are being allowed to be harvested this year, up from the previous 10.
    "However" it is open to any and all Alaskan residents, so we get out early, and hunted with the rising tide, using our big bopat for transpo. This happend about 1 mile from our fishing camp, and we had them in sight for about a week.
    Soooooooooo......before we shot, I very thourly didscussed shot placement with the boys.
    Winter Ox have quite a bit of wool, which , in sighting on them, puts the neck bones about mid neck.
    Being Summer, they havent quite the wool grown, but still have the long hairshanging, so the neck bones would appear to be "Higher" for sighting in on......well, we talked it over and decided that the Heart is still in the same area, and thats where we would place our shots.
    Doug hit the heart and wiped out the Aorta on his shots, and in 30 or so second, his was "Meat"
    Doug had "First shot", as Jon and I had the last 2 taken home, so it was his "Turn"
    He took the Ox that had all the Ladys in a group, and out of the 19 Ox attending, 5 were mature Bulls. The Big Bad Boy had the other 4 lingering on the fringes, as they were just waiting for him to sleep or turn away :P
    The "Fringe" Bulls, as we call them wernt far off, and as you see they came up from the river to see what was happening, join together and defend the herd..... Too bad for them! :lol
    Ox just dont run away.
    After Dougs double shot, Jon (Who is and acts like hes 17) decided it was gonna be a neck/head shot as usual, with dim results.......
    I shot 3rd, as I love watching the boys do a good job, and was rather happy with my results.
    I made mine a heart shot as did Doug, and my results were a 10 second kill :roll:

If only the kid would have listend.......the first shot hit low, passed below the spine, on through the base of the skull, coming out the mouth and busted the bulls jaw, and he ran behind the herd for safety, but with his mouth hanging wide open, gushing blood, he was most definitly "Marked" and on his way to Musk Ox heaven.
    I took a clear shot while I had it.
    jon put 2 more shots to the neck had little effect, but with some taunting from his brother, and me spoooking the herd away from the wounded Bull, Jon put one behind the horn, and you can hear the bullet whine from richoche'n off the other sides horn..... :roll: Dropped him right there, though. Not as neat as we like, but hes a kid, and in the end the results were desirable. MEAT!
    Jon

Jon and his Bull.
    Son Doug and our Action camera woman, Mom.

Me (I'm the one with the Rifle....)

Butchering as a family, cept eldest daughter was feeling a plugged up head cold , and stayed in camp.

Intestines braided , to be made into sausage casings later.

Of course, I couldnt pass up the lonly ol' Caribou that wanderd by the next day, after morning coffee....

I left the skin on and only cut through the brisket because of the sand along the beach.

Fishing has been AWSOME! The Girls all work with mom, and greens, Geese, and cutting meats is getting to be a skill under all their belts

Smoked, dried, 1/2 dried...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

This is one happy Agnes!

What else could a guy want?

We took the meat to Deering to where we kept our Freezer at an elders house (Brenda K our health aid) and filled it. we gave away plenty too , as well as made some killer sausage and Alder smoked dry meat.

Thumbs up Mmmmum tastey

Man that shot of the musk ox meat made me hungry. It's one of my favorites.

The musk ox I hunted knew how to run. I was trying to take one with my bow and as soon as they'd see me they were off. Only when I popped up close did they circle up.
    And that is cool. How they gallop along stretching out into a line, hooves thundering off of the tundra with the hair swept by the wind and then rolling into a circle facing the danger.
    Good report, sounds like good country.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 01-20-2009 at 21:17. Reason: verbosity
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks, Bullbuster, I think your Ox were , as we say here"educated"
    We all walked veryslowly as a close group to act "Slow and Big" so we got closer than a single fella.

Too bad it wasnt on my 8mm, it would be very clear. Its hard to see the angles that the Ox stand at......But then again, I wouldnt be able to post...but its the only Camera I have running...oh well, a new digital someday.

Funny too, I was just showing my son Doug, and he and I watched about 3 times. He pointed out that Jon had kept his eye on his Ox and when I had concentrated on shooting mine, his had gotten up again. I thought "Three down" untill he pointed out the bloody jaw.
    Its odd the way ox act in danger , some will run, some will stand and they do swing slowly about to look for danger. They can present all kinds of odd shots including just showing their butt. these guys just tightend up. When I approched the Herd, they started out and then stopped to await Jons Bull...like they didnt wannt to leave him. They also managed to keep the young ones in the middle , even while running.
    The are prolific and very good eating.The future of Ox hunting is bright.

MuskOx are a Cool animal.