Thread: Nunivak solo?

Default Nunivak solo?

My buddy had to cancel on me for the Nunivak musk ox hunt in February, so it looks like I'll have to go solo. I'm booked with Abe David and plan to call him tomorrow to get the rest of the details lined out. I'm pretty sure I can handle a musk ox on my own as far as skinning and butchering goes, but I'm sure it'll be a pain in the butt, especially if the weather is foul. Have any of you handled one of these critters on your own? I plan to have 3 or 4 knives with me to keep the skinning moving along. I plan to skin the hide for a shoulder mount, so I'll knock it off at the neck and finish the head in Mekoryuk. Any other tips to handle this deal solo?

If you've done any other big game solo you will be fine. Weather is the only thing that will mess with you if it turns bad. Time consuming, but very doable by yourself. To bad you won't be able to share the experience with someone else.

Ive caught several.
    Some alone, some with the kids.

2 knifes will be enough, but one usually gets it done.
    They are actually the size of a very large Caribou, when you get under the skin, and they peel off easily with the hands.

Skinning by opening with the knife, and using your hands to push the skin off the fat and meat will warm you up as well, in Feb. Its as fast as using a knife, and leaves the Fat on the meat.

MOST EXCELLENT EATING!!!...Love those Feb, Mar Ox!

Good luck

Default ox

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    . I plan to skin the hide for a shoulder mount, so I'll knock it off at the neck and finish the head in Mekoryuk. Any other tips to handle this deal solo?
    I would skin the head out with my checkbook. Pretty tough if you've never done one, you will be skinning blind under the horns. Let the taxidermist handle that part. Otherwise no big deal really.

sometimes having a little towel in your coat against your skin is nice to dry your hands of blood when your done or everynow and then, as you know wet on the skin in the wind is uncomfy, helps keep your hands clean and warmer, but geez a nice warm gut pile is hard to beat while your skinning!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just so you know. Abe will not take your picture. He cannot touch the animal. He cannot assist in any way. If you see muskox before the destination of choice. You had better stop, because he won't.

I've been lucky enough to have done 2 solo hunts with abe,you'll have a great time,just make sure to look at alot of bulls before you pull the trigger,and when you start the skinning process make sure you have a tote or some sorta container for the hole hide to fit in,the reason is because it will more then likely be frozen by the time you get back to abes house and they really don't have a place to thaw and repack,the artic entry is not heated,but it's good enough to get out of the wind and work on debonning your meat.....have fun and pm me if you need any more info.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    sometimes having a little towel in your coat against your skin is nice to dry your hands of blood when your done or everynow and then, as you know wet on the skin in the wind is uncomfy, helps keep your hands clean and warmer, but geez a nice warm gut pile is hard to beat while your skinning!
    I'm surprised you don't wear rubber gloves. They help keep the hands warm and when you're done just take them off and you've got clean hands! They weigh next to nothing also. On colder winter hunts we will also wear a pair of "green apes" over them to help stay warm. Throw the gloves in a bag and wash them back at home.

Default Video

Now that is a hunt I would love to video. Rather draw the tag but!

A friend drew it last year, but I just could not tie my cash up to video his hunt.
    Plan to see a ton of fox too!
    L

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it! I am planning on having to do this all on my own, knowing that Abe is restricted from helping in any way. I was hoping he could at least take a picture, but I guess I'll try to find a camera with a timer on it before I head down.

Sheep man, I'll drop you a pm in a while. Thanks a bunch for the info!

I'm sure the Nunivak hunt is pretty cool, however, you Ak. residents can now do the same type of hunt in unit 22 without hoping to draw a permit. Unit 22 is now a registration hunt open to all residents. Services are available in Nome, a guide operates out of Shishmaref, and there may be other services out of shish.
    Too late to do it this year, but check on it next fall.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!