Thread: HS Precision Rifles

Default HS Precision Rifles

I'm considering buying a HS Precision PHL rifle in 270 WSM... How good is HS Precision's customer service?

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_phl.htm

I read one account on the internet where the sako style extractor broke (see link below) Any comments on any weakness or strengths of this rifle

https://www.thefiringline.com/forums...d.php?t=269895

I am looking for a good mtn rifle.. any recommendations appreciated

" Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

yes i am well aware of this it was a dumb **** move on HS Precision's part and they are revising their catalog..

I would like input on this rifle

I have an HS stock on a 300 mag; it is good and rigid. I don't mind the added weight on this rifle but a sheep rifle might be too heavy. I have visited the factory and met some of the folks. They are knowledgable and are shooters; they shoot what they make. IMO they have an excellent reputation for quality but my knowledge of them is a bit thin. Good luck. J.

Default Been good to me

FWIW I have a .300 wsm PHL with fluted 22" barrel. Had some teflon finish wear off in the 4 wheeler case during hunting over very tough terrain. They recoated the guard and bolt handle at no cost. I highly recomend the .300 over the .270, but that is just me Good luck on your purchase, not quite happy with their ex-fbi spokesmodel, but they make a **** good, accurate rifle.

HS Precision.... the rifle to choose for killing women and children....

Thumbs down

Its a shame they ain't all ready broke

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I just got an HS precision catalog like 4 days ago and there is no reference to the infamous BATF agent that you are aluding to.. The catalog was redone... YES it was a stupid blunder but not something done intentionally... Do you truely believe that they were intentionally glorifying in the horrible events of Ruby Ridge? If so then you have some serious issues. If you truely believe what you are spouting here then I suggest you call Tom Houghton ower of HS Precison 605 341 3006 and get his side on what happenend and then let us know... I am looking forward to hearing your report on this forum.

I wouldnt consider such a rifle if I really believed they were glaating about the events of ruby ridge... ... you probably think that Dan Cooper is anti gun too... People like you are anti's greatest asset... Get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its a shame they ain't all ready broke
    Yep just another anti on these forums LOL

Here is your article... enjoy

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/200...-lon-horiuchi/

Quote Originally Posted by AK-49 View Post
    I just got an HS precision catalog like 4 days ago and there is no reference to the infamous BATF agent that you are aluding to.. The catalog was redone... YES it was a stupid blunder but not something done intentionally... Do you truely believe that they were intentionally glorifying in the horrible events of Ruby Ridge? If so then you have some serious issues. If you truely believe what you are spouting here then I suggest you call Tom Houghton ower of HS Precison 605 341 3006 and get his side on what happenend and then let us know... I am looking forward to hearing your report on this forum.

I wouldnt consider such a rifle if I really believed they were glaating about the events of ruby ridge... ... you probably think that Dan Cooper is anti gun too... People like you are anti's greatest asset... Get a clue.
    When the story first broke on Dan Cooper, two forums on this site erupted with anger. I was the first one to say, "let's wait and see what Dan has or has not done, and I was also the first one to say, let's not sink a great rifle making company because of the act of one man (do a search on cooper) on this site and another site and I took a lot of heat for it, mostly on the other site.

Let me ask *you* a question. What do you think of our new president in regards to the 2nd amendment? Do you actually believe he will not make every effort to restrict and remove our rights in every way he possibly can? If you believe he wont, I suggest that you are naive and *you* are the anti's greatest asset.

I wrote 2 emails to Dan Cooper and company and have yet to get response back. I also called them. The man I talked with sounded quite frustrated and I happen to know from contacts here in Montana that Dan's emplyees are not happy with his backing of President Obama. Cooper made a promise to step down and to date has not, as far as I know, made good on that promise. His rifles aren't selling very well here in Montana or on gunbroker. I was a huge Cooper Rifle fan with intentions of making that my next purchase.

Here is the link to a thread I started with the correspondence I sent to Cooper. Read the emails and explain to me the error of my judgement and how I am an asset to the antis.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=41824

As for HS Precision and Lon Horiuchi... Mr Horiuchi had only one claim to fame. That being his performance at Ruby Ridge followed up with Waco. How can you say that this is a blunder on the part of HS Precision? It certainly was a blunder and much more than that. They were catering to a mentality because they have/had a like mentality and they thought it would be profitable. They printed a pathetic retraction after they felt enormous heat from the backlash. They should have printed a profound appology to the Weavers and a strong retraction of their ad. They also should have printed a strong statement condeming the what happened at Ruby Ridge by a run away government and a blood thirsty sniper.

I am curious... where do you stand on Bill Clinton, Janet Reno and the events of Ruby Ridge?

Ball in your court...

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I am curious to know what David Codrea would think of your remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-49 View Post
    I am curious to know what David Codrea would think of your remarks.
    I am curious to know what David thinks about Lon Horiuchi and his role at Ruby Ridge and Waco and Why he used him as a company spokesman.

Maybe I'll email him also.

I am also curious to know what you think of the current adminstration and what the effects will be on gun owners and shooters since you also seem to be a defender of a non-repentant Dan Cooper?

I don't know what Dan Coopers thinking was in his support of obama but I am sure that it was not because of obama's stance on firearms... I do think he made an uniformed decision but not one that was intentionally anti gun as you apparently believe. Probably he felt that the bush administration was running the country in the ground!

I think guys who think like you do are rather arrogant and self righteous and can only focus on others faults and not see the good in them.. and yet are totally blind to their own faults.

Dan Cooper is NOT antigun.. Anyone who thinks so is either an idiot or just plain dumb or has mental issues.

Everytime i have emailed Dan Cooper I have received an immediate reponse.. probably because i dont come across DEMANDING that he owes me an explaination... as some apparently do... Go Figure.

My guess is that David Codrea's take on all of this will be more similar to mine than yours.. why dont you email him and find out. Do you have his email address? Do a search on him.. not hard to find.

I actually believe Dan is pro gun and pro 2nd amendment. After all, he has poured his life into making fine rifles amnd built a great rifle company. The question is... How does he define pro gun and pro 2nd amendment. Heck, Obama says he's pro 2nd amendment. And if you believe that, watch out for the coolaid you drink. Dan said one of the biggest reasons he voted for Obama was he thought Obama would be good for businesses in the US. Well if Obama and his democratic allies have their way Cooper Firearms will dwindle to nothing without any boycotf his rifles as well as a lot of other gun makers, dealers etc. A lot of those jobs will be lost and businesses go under, except for maybe the HS Precisions who cater to government contracts. Who knows what Cooper was thinking? Maybe he thought Obama would just go after the black guns and semi-automatics and his traditional rifles would be left alone. Maybe Dan is like Jim Zumbo? maybe he thinks it's OK to require registration of guns and licensing for gun ownership? My guess is that Dan's idea of 2nd amendment rights can include the prohibition of certain types of rifles based on their appearance as well registering guns, etc. And that he was also naive as to Obama's real agenda. He fell for that Messiah image. You can think I'm arrogant if you want, but I was the first one on this site to stick up for Cooper when a lot of others were ready to lynch him. I did the same thing on another site and got a lot of heat for it.

I dont think I've been demanding at all. I did state that I wouldn't be buying any Cooper rifles as long as he was involved with the Co and I encurage him to step down as he promised he would. To my knowledge, he hasn't. So far, not a man of his word. I've stated my opinion here and elsewhere and to Dan Cooper. I told him his reply would be welcome if he choose to do so. He hasn't.

I am not a happy camper right now and I'll be sending Dan another email to express my feeling about his effort to put in office a man that may severely affect my lawful rights as a gun owner, shooter and hunter.

As for HS Precision and Lon Horiuchi, I found that even more revolting then Dan's actions. I sure hope you understand why and dont need it to be explained to you. Do you have a wife and children? How would you feel if the murderer of your wife or any other loved one was was given a public and good postion directly as the result of his murdering your wife, child or loved one?

Yep... I'll be emailing David Codrea alright....

Dan Cooper has sold the company. I don't think that he needed to but he did. Personally I wish he had stayed. I dont think you are on track about Coopers motives and about his stance regarding black rifles, gun registration, etc . Such remarks about Mr Cooper are totally unfounded and are inflammatory, and as such it speaks very poorly of your character.

I am not sure why HS precision used LH for an endorsement.. it was a stupid decision but I doubt that it was well thought out or intentionally done. A dumb ass mistake.

I doubt that HS or Cooper will lose any business as they are two of the best rifle companies in existance, no one else even comes close to the quality they offer for what they cost.

I will bet that David C will not side with you on your bashing of cooper and hs precision but i could be wrong.

And i am fairly certain that he will not side with you on your initial comments on HS precision... very few gun owners would.

Quote Originally Posted by akscootdog View Post
    FWIW I have a .300 wsm PHL with fluted 22" barrel. Had some teflon finish wear off in the 4 wheeler case during hunting over very tough terrain. They recoated the guard and bolt handle at no cost. I highly recomend the .300 over the .270, but that is just me Good luck on your purchase, not quite happy with their ex-fbi spokesmodel, but they make a **** good, accurate rifle.
    I have been debating 270 WSM vs 300 WSM... the 270 may offer a flatter shooting round ... the 300 may offer a heavier bullet in a barnes triple shock. I am very impressed with the PHL model... what to do?