Thread: Need AR-10 Parts

Default Need AR-10 Parts

Hello to all.

I'm trying to locate two parts to finish an AR-10 build, and am hoping somebody has an idea where to look. The two parts I need are a carbine length gas tube, and a bolt catch.

I've managed to find everything but these and they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

If it uses the same gas tube as a AR15 I have one extra. I accidently bought 2 for my AR.

I'm in anchorage also. PM me and maybe we can hook up and its yours.

Default Gas Tube

Thanks Blink. PM on the way.

Armalite is known on the other boards for not having that bolt catch on hand for quite a while.

One guy who tried it said an AR15 bolt catch will work, barely. There isn't much to catch the bolt without grinding away on the 'tail' to let the bolt catch from piviting higher.

In any case, the lack of a bolt catch does not stop the rifle from operating.

If you haven't been there already, I found almost all the parts I was searching around for my LR308 at ammo can on spenard. You have to go searching through boxes of parts to find what you want but chances are they have it. This was the day before the gun show so hopefully they still have most of their parts available.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tip - good to know, and I'll get by there and check it out.

How's that scope working out?

Take care,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Chechakonomo View Post
    Thanks for the tip - good to know, and I'll get by there and check it out.

How's that scope working out?

Take care,
    Bob
    Got it mounted up but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Default Bolt catch

blingmaker, thanks for the info. I've been told that by others as well, and that's probaly the route I'll try if I can't find the right part. I've also been told that an AR15 mid length gas tube will work on an AR10 carbine except that it's about a quarter inch short, and I've got one coming from Brownell's. I'll post the results if it works in case anyone else is in the same situation.

Go here:

www.falfiles.com

Click on "FAL files message board"

There are plenty of collectors that will turn you on to whatever you need.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Drop Back and Punt

Thanks Nitroman. I think I'm going to go with AR 15 parts and try them out. If they don't work, at least I'll have spare parts for the little 15's.

On the way from Brownells. I'll let you know how they work.

Default Update

I finally made it to the range to test fire the newly built AR-10 carbine, with AR-15 gas tube and bolt catch. I thought I'd post an update in case anybody else is interested in whether the -15 parts worked.

Happy to report, they did. If you're trying to build an AR-10 from parts, you know that there are two parts that are almost impossible to find at the present: AR-10 bolt catch, and AR-10 gas tubes, either rifle or carbine. I don't know if parts for the DPMS LR-308's are any more available or if they would work on an Armalite platform.

At any rate, I used an AR-15 mid-length gas tube, which is about .25 inches shorter than an AR-10 carbine tube. Worked perfectly - cycled the action with no apparent bullet dwell-type problems. No gas related malfunctions at all.

The AR-15 bolt catch was a little different story. There is a small finger-like projection on the edge of the bolt catch that extends into the magazine well. That little finger is too long for an AR-10, and it would cause a failure to feed if the action was locked to the rear and a loaded magazine inserted. Bottom line, the finger needs to be ground off or made smaller. Otherwise, if a loaded mag was inserted with the action closed on an empty chamber and the charging handle was operated to chamber a round, everything worked fine and the weapon fired perfectly. Somewhat surprising to me, the AR-15 bolt catch would lock the action open after the last round was fired. I didn't think it would.

I added a photo to illustrate - the pic of the mag well shows the finger projecting into the well from the bolt catch. The other is the finished carbine.

By the way, the two above noted parts, which had been back-ordered from Armalite since January were finally shipped a couple days ago, and they should be installed on the AR-10C this time next week. So take heart, if you're waiting for parts from Armalite, they may be getting caught up.

Take care everyone,
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images