Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we do this???

Default Why do we do this???

Guys i dont want to start a fight but i have a question. When halibut quotas and limits are being cut why do they run contests for the biggest halibut?? To me it seems like we are trying to go out of our way to kill the big females that will insure we have butts to fish in the future. I have made a personal decision to only keep butts under 40lbs or so. I cant imagine all of the meat from a 200lb butt gets eaten before it gets old and i truly wonder how much goes to waste. Sure you may think the pic looks cool but is that the only reason you kept it? If so what a waste! I am still trying to figure this one out. I like the idea of tagged chickens or turkeys for the derby but lets not play lets kill the resource at the same time.

You have to remember that even if there are derbies for big fish, that doesn't guarantee the big ones are going to get caught. Many captains are avid big fish releasers you know.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

AGREED Pike Palace!!! I am in NO WAY blaming charter captains as they have to respect the clients wishes. I am sure that they would like to see them all go back. I just wanted to go on record saying I DO NOT blame the charter captains!

They say that most halibut over 100lbs are the egg laying females. Not too many fish in the 250-300 range are caught and kept, and I really have no problem with them being kept, the thing I don't like is the fish that are kept in the 125-200 range that have no chance at winning the derby. In Homer, on my private boat, I can catch my limit of 20-40pounders 90 percent of the time, and every charter I have ever been on I the boat has caught their limit. I guess where I am going with this is, I would like to see all the females that have no shot a winning the derby released. Then again this is only my opinion. I guess you could also say that only spike fork bulls should be harvested

The only way to protect the spawners is to protect them with size restrictions. I would think that if there were regulations in place to limit the harvest to 60#'s and under the fishery would rebound nicely in a very short period of time. If you continue to remove the spawners from the population pretty soon there will be none left to perpetuate the species!!!!
    I don't know why the ruling bodies can't or won't see that. It seems pretty simple to me.

The ocean is a very big place and I seriously doubt a guy holding a fishing pole is going to wipe out the population by keeping a 150lb halibut..

Since when are halibut in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    The ocean is a very big place and I seriously doubt a guy holding a fishing pole is going to wipe out the population by keeping a 150lb halibut..
    Agreed. There is ALOT of unfished ocean out there.

Since when are halibut in trouble?
    I wouldn't say in trouble, but there has been a significant decrease in size over the last 10+ years. There is still lots of halibut out there though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Sport harvest is around 13% of the total harvest of halibut. So you could release all the sportfish caught halibut and it will not do much to increase the overall size of halibut. The only way a slot on halibut works is if all users groups are held to the same standards or "slot".

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i have to say that the sportfishery makes a very small impact on the halibut fishery. it is good practice to release big halibut as they are pretty gross as far as eating. even filleting them big suckers is nasty. meat is white and its falling apart at the grain, blech. dont mean to start a sport fishery - commercial fishery argument but the commercial guys catch way more big halibut and do way more damage to the species existance than the sportfishers could even come close to. last time i longlined commercially if i remember right our average weight per halibut was over 90 pounds. that was a good year but it gives you an idea of what commercial fishing is capable of. that dosent necessarily give free rights to big fish to sport fishers or charter captains, im jsut saying the bigger problem lies in the commercial industry. i still think we should all realease halibut bigger then 80 pounds and big fish derbies promote the future loss of a great resource. halibut are a hearty fish and built to last so it will take longer but it will come to an end eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Sport harvest is around 13% of the total harvest of halibut. So you could release all the sportfish caught halibut and it will not do much to increase the overall size of halibut. The only way a slot on halibut works is if all users groups are held to the same standards or "slot".
    Exactly!!!

There would be nothing wrong with a slot limit for both commercial and sport caught fish. One thing I don't know about though is what the survival rate would be for a released commercially caught halibut, depending on the fish's condition when the boat actually gets to the fish, it may have been caught for a long time.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

could you imagine getting eaten alive by sandfleas

Most every captain (professional and private) knows what the derby leader halibut weighs. If there was a rule that any fish caught under that weight had to be released it might change things. I mean if the derby leader 'but weights 250 lbs, nothing under that weight will be weighed, so should be released. Measurments can get you pretty close to weights out on the water. I'm sure there would need to be some slack or buffer for fish that are "close" to the leaders weight. A slot of under say 75 lbs and whatever is over the derby leader weight might work. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Most every captain (professional and private) knows what the derby leader halibut weighs. If there was a rule that any fish caught under that weight had to be released it might change things. I mean if the derby leader 'but weights 250 lbs, nothing under that weight will be weighed, so should be released. Measurments can get you pretty close to weights out on the water. I'm sure there would need to be some slack or buffer for fish that are "close" to the leaders weight. A slot of under say 75 lbs and whatever is over the derby leader weight might work. Just a thought...
    Derbies are just for stroking peoples egos.
    You want to have a derby have a tagged fish derby and don't kill any of the big spawners. Unless the regs specifically say all fish over say 60# must be released they will still kill the big ones just so they can puff up their chests back at the dock. Even if it can't be entered in the derby it won't matter as it will be killed just so the capt. and or angler can say Hey Look At What I Caught Everyone!!!!!

my .10

First of all, the reason some areas are looking at going to a one fish limit has absolutely nothing to do with big fish being killed for derbies. It has everything to do with resource allocation between commercial fishing and sports fishing, and you might want to read up on it in the fishing management forum (or not, be forewarned )

It's interesting that the areas known for their derby, homer probably being tops, isn't looking at reducing the limit to one fish. Why? As others have said, the commercial fisheries take the majority of the catch, and they don't throw anything back, in fact they get more $/lb for the big fish. Then there is the bycatch of halibut by other fishers, where those fish caught are just thrown overboard as crab food. I've heard it said that the bycatch is possibly as large as the sports catch.

The halibut stocks are in good shape, the 1 fish limit is all about the fight between the expanding take by the sports fishery vs. the commercial fishermen. The commercial fishermen don't want their harvest reduced to allow for more sport caught fish, so they are fighting to reduce the sports catch to 1 fish per person in SE.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You want to have a derby have a tagged fish derby and don't kill any of the big spawners. Unless the regs specifically say all fish over say 60# must be released they will still kill the big ones just so they can puff up their chests back at the dock. Even if it can't be entered in the derby it won't matter as it will be killed just so the capt. and or angler can say Hey Look At What I Caught Everyone!!!!!

my .10
    So if you are out hunting and you see a trophy big game animal, will you let it go and shoot a little animal? I'm sure it could be argued that you should let the big animals go so they can pass on their superior genetics.

If you trophy hunt, then I see nothing wrong with trophy fishing.

So if you are out hunting and you see a trophy big game animal, will you let it go and shoot a little animal? I'm sure it could be argued that you should let the big animals go so they can pass on their superior genetics.

A 150 pound halibut is not a trophy fish though, it's like shooting a 40" bull with 2 brow tines

Yep, I run all over the planet slaughtering Trophy DOEs and other females of the species!!!!!!

You need to remember all those big breeders are female not male.
    In fact if you do some research you will find that almost all Halibut over 100# are female.

It is for most anglers. Since I live in SE, it would be the difference between shooting a Spike or a 3x3 blacktail...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I would have to disagree. This is just another way to get people to come to there town. More people show up the more money the town makes.

Second is to raise money for a charity ETC....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast