Thread: Who's Your Master Gunsmith...

Default Who's Your Master Gunsmith...

What type of work, location, why? T.I.A. (thanks in advance)

If I can't do it I probably don't need it.At times I may take something to a machine shop for tight machine work

I have used Wild West and Stan Jackson so far for little things when I was in a hurry or not in town and wanted them ready for me. Both have done a great job and finished the jobs in a timely if not quick manner. I did notice its hard walking out of either shop without bringing something extra home. Then again I have that problem with any sporting goods store as well.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Andy Hawk. Anchorage (907) 562-0881

He has been able to do anything that any other gunsmith or shop has done for me in the past. Better, faster, usually cheaper, and without the condescending attitude and gaff that is prevalent in some of the shops I have worked with.

I couldn’t say what Andy’s “specialty” is……. You would have to call and ask him. I can say that I have seen him work on just about everything and his work is always first rate.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

gunbugs, Fairbanks. But I'm probably not impartial.

Steve at alaska custom firearms. I have had some good work done by stan jackson too but tend to go with steve anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    What type of work, location, why? T.I.A. (thanks in advance)
    Do it all myself. Never used a gun smith in 40 years.

Any good ones recommended in the Soldotna area?

Default Precision Arms in Anchorage

I dont know about Soldotna, but another one in Anchorage deserving of mention is Vince of Precision Arms. (279-5755)

I've had Vince repair faulty trigger mechanisms for me, swap out a standard AR upper receiver for my left handed nephew, rebuild and customise my .300 weatherby, install a couple different muzzle breaks, refinish several rifles, and so on over the years. He'd have to tell me he's too busy to get me to go somewhere else.

Of course, having a custom built by Wild West would sure be nice though wouldnt it?

Thumbs up 2nd on Vince

Vince at Precision Arms has been doing work for me for 20 years or so. Trigger jobs, recoil pads, scope installation and bore sighting, and lots of other stuff. He is always reasonable with his prices, and his work is second to none. Don't think you can beat this guy!

Default Soldotna area gunsmith.

Try Clifford Hugg, He's out Mackey Lakes road a ways. I took My 375 to him because it was having feed problems and right before my eyes he changed the follower profile with a torch and powdered alloy which he filed down to perfection and was real reasonable with the cost. I've brought him a few other small jobs and has always done them very quickly and professionally. He goes on vacation sometimes so you have to catch him while he's here. I have taken a 1911 with feed issues to the other gunsmith from around here and will now be taking it to Clifford since it is not in fact fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Vince at Precision Arms has been doing work for me for 20 years or so. Trigger jobs, recoil pads, scope installation and bore sighting, and lots of other stuff. He is always reasonable with his prices, and his work is second to none. Don't think you can beat this guy!
    Vince does great work, but I've had trouble with him doing just the work I've wanted done. Last time I used him, he fixed my shotgun receiver a treat and he blued it which I asked him NOT to do. Great guy and great work, I just seem to have trouble every time I use him.

I go to Steve these days at Alaska Custom.