Thread: Bird Mounts

Default Bird Mounts

Just wondering if anyone knows of a taxidermist out there that does good bird mounts at a reasonable rate? I live in the valley and have called all the local shops and found them to be rather pricey. I know of one shop that is really friendly and has excellent mounts but $350 seems like alot of money to put a mallard on the wall. Maybe there is no other option but any input would be nice. Thanks.

Default You get what you pay for

The cost in AK is more because people need more coin to live on up here.

Here is a link to a really good artist in Northpole. I have seen his work up close and it is worth the money.

northern wings taxibermy

Default Bird Mounts In The Valley

Try Juli Hermanns in Wasilla
    E-mail Address: stil_taxidermy@yahoo.com

she does really good mounts for reasonable prices

Default mounts

Tom KAizer in soldotna does ducks for 220 and geese for 320 He has done a pintain and mallard for me and a few others for friends he does great work. If you have seen the mounts in trustworthy hardware those were done by tom.

Default Redhead mount

Mark Osland in Anchorage did a really nice redhead for me. He works out of his home and does mainly fish and birds. I think his rate was around 250-275.
    Heres his number 344-6805.

Default Bird mounts

Try Trophy Tanning & Taxidermy in Wasilla, (http://www.trophytanning.com)Tim does awesome work. I had him do two birds for me and am completely satisfied with the quality of work and the excellent customer service. I do not remember how much he charges but whatever the cost I think it is worth it. Good Luck.

Default Thank you

Thanks for all your input. I got some good leads and I appreciate your time. Memories like these I want to see on my wall not just in a photo album. I love this forum thing--very helpful, comes in real handy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

grizzeyes

Default mounts

Rick & Caribou unlimited in soldotna does a super job. His work is the best I've had done for me. Personally, I have 17 mounts 16 were done back home in Calif. He did a goldeneye for me for under $250.00. My Goldeneye was done better than the other 16. I couldn't believe it when I saw how beautiful it was. He has the eyes as realistic as you can get. Not bubble eyed like some who don't take their time in closing down the birds eye lids. Not a feather out of place. I'll try to upload the pic but not so great at it www.caribou-unlimited 262-7585 i tried to upload this pic but guess it was too big for the system.
    Last edited by grizzeyes; 10-05-2006 at 20:04.

Thumbs up Goldeneye Photo

Quote Originally Posted by grizzeyes View Post
    Rick & Caribou unlimited in soldotna does a super job. His work is the best I've had done for me. Personally, I have 17 mounts 16 were done back home in Calif. He did a goldeneye for me for under $250.00. My Goldeneye was done better than the other 16. I couldn't believe it when I saw how beautiful it was. He has the eyes as realistic as you can get. Not bubble eyed like some who don't take their time in closing down the birds eye lids. Not a feather out of place. I'll try to upload the pic but not so great at it www.caribou-unlimited 262-7585 i tried to upload this pic but guess it was too big for the system.
    Grizz,

I've uploaded your goldeneye photo and you're right. This is beautiful work. My dad used to do this sort of thing many years ago and I've really come to appreciate good bird taxidermy. Nice stuff!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Have you considered buying a kit and giving it a go for yourself? A few friends and myself did a few birds last year. I wouldn't recommend starting with a trophy bird, but you can get the supplies for less than 50 bucks. We've done a few teal and a few ptarmigan now.. PM me if you'd like more details. Check out www.taxidermy.net, they have lots of info.

I am not sure if those are the birds you want done or not but early season birds are very tough, they have lots of pin feathers and many taxidermists won't touch them because they won't get good results no matter how good the taxidermist is.

Just dropped off a couple bou racks to fur and feathers and they has some real nice bird mounts and pretty good prices too

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

check with a guy by the name of ed forstner. his email should be edsbirds@yahoo.com. i've asked him about $$$ before and i know it's sub-$300.

AK_DUCKMAN does good work.

Thanks Matt. But you know I don't play that game much any more. Just for people like you. Oh I need that skull from your brownie so I can get some numbers for the form. I'm done with ducks for the most part. Going out sat... to pic up the camp. After that I should be home most fri, sat ,and sundays. I'd Like to get going on that around 1st part of nov.. or so .Take care if you do that bear thing this weekend at that one place you go and good luck, A nice blacky would look good with that brownie.
    Babbs

I'm packed and ready to go. Leaving tomorrow. People are still seeing a lot of bears up there, both brown and black. And my brown bear skull should be ready any week now I'm guessing, but I'll let you know for sure.

Thumbs up

Im looking at your skull right now Matt. Give me 2 0r 3 days to fine tune it and shes yours. And go get your self a blackie ,My Bugs are HUNGRY..

I will give you a call

Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS