Thread: Info needed for Juneau

Default Info needed for Juneau

I need some information about Juneau. I am going to be visiting my sister the first week of May for 4-5 days. I'm looking to know what might be running at that time. Also what kind of gear I would need to bring with me for that time of year. Would I be road fishing or would I have to be hiking in? Thanks in advance!
    Steve

ADF&G advice, pretty good.

AFG's look at SE AK.

AFG's overview of April/May.

AFG's Run-timing Chart for SE.

All are good resources; combined, they have more information than you will be able to use in a season, much less 4-5 days.

Another good resource is Juneau Fly Fishing Goods, The brick-and-mortar side of AFG. They will be able to give you current and up-to-date info about species and flies.

There can be some great ocean king fishing that time of year too, but you'd better have a good boat with some serious skill on board... a skipper or guide who knows some old-school tricks to catch kings...

As for steelies and smaller trout, odds are good from the road (just short hikes)... a 3 or 5 wt should do nicely.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately I do not no the first thing about fly fishing, so I guess I need to know what kind of spinning and casting gear to bring. Also what kind of tackle will I need? It’s been a long time since I fished up there around 20 years ago. So any advice you all have is great.

Case- Any advice on charters out of there?

Thanks again all!

Steve

Haus,

The undisputed best charter in SE is a boat called the CanCan. The question is if they will be chartering next summer or not...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haus View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately I do not no the first thing about fly fishing, so I guess I need to know what kind of spinning and casting gear to bring. Also what kind of tackle will I need? It’s been a long time since I fished up there around 20 years ago. So any advice you all have is great.

Case- Any advice on charters out of there?

Thanks again all!

Steve
    I'd bring an ultra light and a single hook mepps or swedish pimple or something for that early in may for dollies. Or you could bring a king rod and sit out on false outer with some herring and hope a king swims by. Fishing is hit or miss then though. I definately wouldn't plan on steelhead fishing its a tough go of it here, really tough.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks again guy please keep it up!

I didn't give an intro so I'll give you a little back ground so you know I'm not just a blow hard. I was born in Juneau my dad was CG. My sister didn't leave but I was too young and ended up in Maryland. I run a tackle shop in OC MD and spend the year chasing fish pretty much year round. Most of the summer you will find me 35-100 miles east of the east coast looking for Tuna and my favorite White and Blue Marlin. The rest of the year is either bottom bouncing for Taug, Sea Bass, and Flounder or casting, jigging and trolling for Rock Fish and Sea Trout. My spring breaks in college had nothing to do with warm weather and women. Me and 3-5 friends would go to the WV Mountains and Trout fish for a week instead. In other words all I want to do is fish!

So any info is greatly appreciated! I dont mean to sound like an arse but do I just need a good pair of hiking boots or the hip or chest waders? Should I just bring the ultra light’s or do I need the 7'-9’ Heavy. What size and weight spoon? Braid or Mono?

Thanks again all
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Haus View Post
    So any info is greatly appreciated! I dont mean to sound like an arse but do I just need a good pair of hiking boots or the hip or chest waders? Should I just bring the ultra light’s or do I need the 7'-9’ Heavy. What size and weight spoon? Braid or Mono?
    Depends on what you are fishing for... For dollies we're talking ultra light rod, as light as you can get with a spoon that looks like a 2 inch salmon smolt... For kings at false outer surf casting gear can't hurt. Think big stiper/bluefish tackle, most folks use a ~6 inch herring on a double hook rig with a weight optimized to cast the farthest and a heavy spinning rod they pick up at wal mart for $25. Hip boots are fine or XTs think fishing beaches...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

All you need is boots to the knee, A regular sized spinning reel with 2 spools (6-8lb for Dolly Varden, and 15 for King Salmon) and 6-8 foot spinning reel. Dolly's will take a chrome or chartruse lure like a crocodile.
    King Salmon go to False Outer Point and fish off the rocks at a low tide with a 1-2oz sinker and a double hook and herring setup(taxi cab or rental) or out to the end of Thane road to the end of the Dupont Trail (1 mile ish hike for both Dollys and Kings). Dollys can be caught under the Juneau Douglas Bridge, or out by DIPAC and the channel mudflats during low tides, along the Breadline hiking trail out at Tee harbor accessed from Cohen Drive, and out at Echo Cove (must have rental car).

Bring Bug dope and sun block May can be an awesome month and low tide in may can be awesomely bad for no-see ums.

I spend 3rd to 7th grade growing up in MD. King Salmon are like ocean stripped bass, and Dolly Varden are like Bluefish (without teeth) so keep that in mind when selecting gear.

Oh yea, PM me and if you bring back a bushell of those tasty OldBay Seasoning cooked Blue Crab I'll take you out on my boat. hmm how spend is a bushell now I hear they are becoming scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Haus,

The undisputed best charter in SE is a boat called the CanCan. The question is if they will be chartering next summer or not...

Jim
    Heh... thanks for the compliment, Jim. As per the press release I issued on 1/1/09, however, I'm retiring the charter business.

Haus- Sorry, I can't recommend anyone right now, as I don't honestly know who will still be in business this year. Between all the changed regulations, public mis-information, commercial "hazing" of charters, and the economy, I don't suspect a full 1/3 of the charters in Juneau will be operating in 2009. Personally, I'm just tired of sharing and not getting to fish myself, so I'm taking my "toys" and limiting my fun to close friends and family.

If they're still around this summer, give Tom Dawson (3-Eagle Charters) or Jim Lewis (Wolverine Charters) a try.

Most important bit of advice... while you're here and when you're done, POST PICTURES!!!

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Haus,

Jim
    Side note: we're finalizing plans to run the Can Can to Stennar's yard for maintenance and a possible re-power in May. Once you and I cross paths, and the work in LaConner/Burlington is finished, the CanCan will be heading to OR for some July and August tuna action!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]