Thread: Sage launch

Default Sage launch

I am thinking about buying a 3wt sage launch for trout/grayling fishing. Is this a good rod? I noticed that it is substantially cheaper than other sages rods, so is it still high-quality? And what kind of action does it have? Some places say it has a very fast acton, while others say it has a moderate action. Thanks in advance.

I own a Sage Launch 4wt. It is my #1 all around rod for Colorado catching rainbows, cutthroats, and browns mostly. I have not only been happy with it, but in my opinion I can cast it more accurately and farther than a lot of the very expensive rods. It has a solid backbone, more like a 5 or 5.5wt backbone and I've had no problem landing nice sized, 4lb+ trout in streams.

I would say the action is medium/moderate and not fast at all. I have an open and lazy casting style and that rod fits me perfectly. It comes with the lifetime warranty, I've already sent it back once after falling down a hill and snapping the tip, no questions asked and I had my rod back in a couple of weeks (normally I hear it is a week or so but they were backed up that time).

It's a solid rod, no doubt. I absolutely love mine and do not plan on getting another rod from 3-6wt anytime soon, this one works for it all.

I think the sage launch is on par or slightly worse than the TFO or Echo rods in its price range. They cast ok IMO but are a bit slow for my tastes and a bit dead, like the rod doesn't load all the way, I like my TFO much more than the launches i've cast (5wt and 8wt). I'd suggest ging to the shop and casting one see how you like it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I forgot to add to my post, and in agreement with powder_monkey, you have got to go cast it to find out if it fits for you....and if the shoe fits, wear it! Casting is such a feel thing, I know people with Orvis Helios, Wright and McGills and other rods, and I can't cast them worth a dang but they tell me nothing is better to them. It's all about the feel and everyone's casting style is so different.

If you are just casting dry flies it'll work, but if you plan on casting some weight around (indicators, streamers, etc) you'll probably want a faster rod.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default For the money.

I fished a 6 wt launch on the upper Kenai a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it. It had plenty of backbone and cast beads and flesh with indicators just fine. It might be a touch slower than a true top of the line fast action rod, but IMO you'll be just fine with it.

In my experience, you can't go wrong with Sage. The warranties are top notch and you'll never have to wait long to get your rod back. You have to remember though, I have 4 Sage rods and my son's middle name is Sage (my wife understands my addiction!!) so I may be a touch biased.

I would say the launch series rods have a medium-fast action. Fast enough to power some good casts, but slow enough to make them easier to cast than true fast action rods.

I do agree with earlier posters that you should always try before you buy. Even different weights in the same product line may cast differently.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask the shop owner if you can cast the rod in the parking lot. Any shop worth anything will have a reel in a drawer already rigged with a "parking lot" line, ready for you to try. (You may even get a free casting lesson out of the deal.)

Default 3 wt?

My son and daughter own Launch 5wts. I've fished them and think they're a great value. Launch is Sage's least expensive rod, yet at least one fly shop owner here thinks it's better-performing than the next rod up.

Not so fast: Sage does a great job building rods with exceptional feel. IMO the Launch is no exception, but agree with the others, the action is not what I'd call fast. The action is softer and slower, but also more forgiving than rods like TFO's TiCr, TiCrX and Sage TCR or Xi2.

3 wt though? I guess it depends - where you fish, and maybe what time of year. Fall, 2007, I fished a small back slough off the Kenai with some friends. My (TFO TiCrX) 5wt rod (fast action, similar to the Sage TCRs my friends were fishing) held those fat, angry Fall Dollies and Rainbows, but it was pretty sporty! It was odd to feel some dread with each new cast after releasing another strong fish. Anyway, even 10-14 inchers can be strong and if they get into much current, I wonder if a 3-wt would be enough rod?

Can't go wrong with Sage, or their Launch though. If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it. If you want a faster action rod later (always good to have a backup ya know), well you can't have too many fly rods.

Good luck.

Default repair advice please

I just bought a used SAGE LE 4# 9'0" here in Fairbanks but it has a broken tip section. I thought I read one time where SAGE would replace or repair tips for free. Is that true? If not, does anyone have any advice on repalcing or repairing a tip on a rod that sells for $165 new?

I think the warranty for sage goes to the original owner only, so I doubt they would repair it for free (even with a warranty, you have to pay shipping). Might go to a sage dealer or call sage direct and ask them how much they would charge.

Default Call em up...

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I think the warranty for sage goes to the original owner only, so I doubt they would repair it for free (even with a warranty, you have to pay shipping). Might go to a sage dealer or call sage direct and ask them how much they would charge.
    I think that's correct about the original owner (http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/), but even if there's a charge, it's gear worth fixin.

Questions? Contact Sage Repairs:
    (888) 848-7243
    repair@sageflyfish.com
    Get the Product Service Form here - You'll need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 to read/print the form.
    Sage Manufacturing
    8500 Northeast Day Road
    Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
    USA

Talking Thanks

Appreciate the replies. I figured I would probably end up calling SAGE, but as a fairly new guy to this forum I've found that it never hurts to ask for input from all you experienced and old hands at these kind of questions. You never can tell when that one person has the "just what I was looking for" answer!

Much appreciated!!

Default Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post

I think the warranty for sage goes to the original owner only,.....

I agree. Every company out there that I have dealt with says this as well. Original owner only so save that sales receipt and if a warranty registration card comes with the rod you buy, be sure to fill it out and mail it in if applicable. That warranty is a big part of what you are buying when you get a high end rod. Peace of mind is not cheap unfortunately
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default We are taklin about a 3 wt here....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think the sage launch is on par or slightly worse than the TFO or Echo rods in its price range. They cast ok IMO but are a bit slow for my tastes and a bit dead, like the rod doesn't load all the way, I like my TFO much more than the launches i've cast (5wt and 8wt). I'd suggest ging to the shop and casting one see how you like it.
    In general I would aggree that TFO in the same price range of the Sage Launch would be faster... Ummmkkk think that I would much rather have a sloowww 3 wt since it is almost exculsively a dry fly rod anyway, and fast is not really what you are looking for in a rod this light.

I have a 5 wt launch and it throws pretty well for the dries and light stuff that I fish with it. Its a good rod and well worth the price, I wont agree about TFO as I have owned two and both spent more time in the mail getting repairs than fishing (cheap materials).

Arrow rod tip repair

Egrife,
    The rod tip repair is very simple:
    1. with a fine saw blade, such as a hacksaw blade, cut the rod off just sort of the break.
    2. this is the only hard part> use must measure the exact diameter of the rod thickness at the cut. your measurement, whether in millimeters or 1/64's of an inch, must be precise. rod building supply companies sell a gauge with a series of holes for this purpose.
    3. most rod building supply companies sell the rod tips, and they are fairly inexpensive, guides are about $5 each.. whenever I am not sure of the exact size, I will order either the next size smaller or larger. I suggest smaller. the rod building companies also sell a special hot melt glue the is used to fasten the tip. I suppose any hotmelt will work though. that is what they use when the rods are new.
    4. hot melt some glue on the rod tip, then let it harden. next, hold the new tip with a pair of pliers and lightly heat it with a lighter.
    5. slide the heat rod tip onto the end of the rod, which will reheat the glue. take care to align the tip with the other guides and you're done.

whole process takes 10 minutes. I have made this repair in the field any number of times with great results.