Thread: My dilema...

Default My dilema...

I have decided that I want to have my handguns shipped from Indiana to here. I talked to USPS and UPS and they will NOT ship them. I thought you could ship them to yourself but that is not true. So how can I get them here? I can't ship them, can't drive them through Canada and can't fly them. Any ideas?

Default Shipping Handguns

Contract a FFL holder in Indiana to ship to FFL holder in Alaska

Doug, back in 1990, my crew (KC-135) was assigned a TDY to Eielson, from Montana. 3 out of 4 of us were hunters, so we decided to take some of our bows, rifles and handguns with us to do some hunting if we got a chance.

Our guys are (were) versed pretty well in areas such as customs and transporting things including firearms and researched the ubject. We made a list of the firearms with serial numbers for the manifest and brought them with us in our plane, including my revolver. The guys at Eielson knew all about it and it sounded like a fairly common practice. I cant say for sure as to whether or not we violated any state or fed laws on interstate transport of firearms, but at the time we were under the impression that we were legal. You might be able to have your guns transported on an AF plane, but I personally wouldn't do it unless I knew the person on the crew bringing it.

Asking for legal advice on the internet is a sketchy practice. My recommendation is that you contact an AMC detachment there if you have one, and you should because Elmendorf gets a lot of AMC traffic, and ask about shipping personal firearms via AF aircraft. You might also ask the legal office and the ATF. I would get more than one opinion and get the actual page and paragraph references.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Doug, back in 1990, my crew (KC-135) was assigned a TDY to Eielson, from Montana. 3 out of 4 of us were hunters, so we decided to take some of our bows, rifles and handguns with us to do some hunting if we got a chance.

Our guys are (were) versed pretty well in areas such as customs and transporting things including firearms and researched the ubject. We made a list of the firearms with serial numbers for the manifest and brought them with us in our plane, including my revolver. The guys at Eielson knew all about it and it sounded like a fairly common practice. I cant say for sure as to whether or not we violated any state or fed laws on interstate transport of firearms, but at the time we were under the impression that we were legal. You might be able to have your guns transported on an AF plane, but I personally wouldn't do it unless I knew the person on the crew bringing it.

Asking for legal advice on the internet is a sketchy practice. My recommendation is that you contact an AMC detachment there if you have one, and you should because Elmendorf gets a lot of AMC traffic, and ask about shipping personal firearms via AF aircraft. You might also ask the legal office and the ATF. I would get more than one opinion and get the actual page and paragraph references.

Good luck
    Well the way I have read things is: you can ship your own gun from one place to another. But I was told no at the post office and by UPS. I also was told that handguns crossing the Canadian border either by land, air or sea are not allowed unless you have tons of paperwork from ATF. Even if the plane or ship does not touch down in Canada. Military aircraft will not allow personal firearms onboard either. So the only way I see is from one FFL to another. However, I'm here so it would be impossible to take mine to a dealer there. So I guess I'm pretty much going to be in the market to buy another one while I'm here and when I PCS out of State I will need to sell the one I buy here. So complicated just to have my own guns.

2 years ago I flew from PA to here and brought a gun case with 2 rifles and 4 hand guns with no problem at all just check with the airline first.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Maybe this will help

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1118&NoCount=1

This doesn't say so, BUT I believe that it is legal to ship a (rifle at least) to yourself from one state to another, even "In Care Of" someone else, providing you are the one shipping and the one who picks it up.

I've never attempted to do it.

I recognize that shippers, including the USPS, may refuse, for reasons of ignorance or otherwise.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default UPS

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I have decided that I want to have my handguns shipped from Indiana to here. I talked to USPS and UPS and they will NOT ship them. I thought you could ship them to yourself but that is not true. So how can I get them here? I can't ship them, can't drive them through Canada and can't fly them. Any ideas?
    Ups delivers firearms to the shop every day. It can and will ship firearms. I've shipped them out of the Geist location in Fairbanks. They'll ship a moose head if you'll pay for it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I've shipped handguns to myself many times UPS.If you know where you are staying you can ship to them to them in care of yourself also but let them know the package is comming.With UPS you will have to ship 2nd day air as they don't have ground service to Alaska or at least didn't last time I did it.

yes you can fly with them, Have to be in a hard lockable case and declared. Check the TSA site. Cleanest way is ship from FFL dealer there to one here.

Default US Postal Service: Yes

As I understand this US Postal Svc regulation, long guns are OK by domestic mail. See ref: http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv_docread.jsp?k2dockey=http%3A%2F%2Fpe.usps.com%2 Ftext%2Fqsg300%2FQ601.htm%40PE_QSG300_HTML_5&serve rSpec=56.0.145.56:9920&QueryParser=Simple&querytex t=(firearms)&dtype=2#hit0

This ref details nonmailables (handguns, short guns) and exceptions:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065405

One more: Here's excerpt from: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065442
    11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.
    11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

Good luck.

Are you active duty and on PCS orders? If so you should be able to ship your guns in your household goods shipment. Thats what i did Here in Hawaii there all kinds of gun laws including fingerprints and premits for long guns. (side note and a little vent) You might want to talk to your wepons department, they are sometimes reconized as FFL's and can accept gun shipments. I have also used this in the past. But that is the Coast Guard and not the Air Force. Good luck,

declare them on the commercial airline an comply with there rules. I do it all the time.

Non FFL holders cannot use USPS by postal regulations to mail handguns (or airguns!).

It is legal to ship to yourself on common carriers like UPS. The UPS counter folks are not often well trained. Try calling the big UPS HQ if you want to use them.. try FEDEX.

Best bet is in your luggage

I have shipped handguns on my militray orders as well no problem as recently as 2006 as well

Well the way I have read things is: you can ship your own gun from one place to another. But I was told no at the post office and by UPS. I also was told that handguns crossing the Canadian border either by land, air or sea are not allowed unless you have tons of paperwork from ATF. Even if the plane or ship does not touch down in Canada. Military aircraft will not allow personal firearms onboard either. So the only way I see is from one FFL to another. However, I'm here so it would be impossible to take mine to a dealer there. So I guess I'm pretty much going to be in the market to buy another one while I'm here and when I PCS out of State I will need to sell the one I buy here. So complicated just to have my own guns.

You can ship long guns to your self at another address. You cannot ship handguns(EDIT: via USPS, You can ship your handguns to yourself at another adress via UPS/FEdEX, etc). Handguns are shipped FFL to FFL only. The US mail will ship a hand gun from an FFL holder to another FFL holder. You can fly with handguns in a locked case, declared of course. You cannot take handguns into Canada over land. I fly over Canada quite often with handguns in my luggage. You can take handguns on board a cruise ship but if they pull into port in Canada, they must be locked up under ships custody. Believe it or not, that's the way it is.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-07-2009 at 00:28.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for all the advise. I decided to just buy a few guns here and save on the headache. Plus it's a great accuse to add to my collection.