Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Aire Outcast PAC 1400

Default Opinions on the Aire Outcast PAC 1400

I am considering purchasing the PAC 1300 or 1400 from Aire. I intend to use it on day floats and multiday floats. It will have the fly fishing platforms on each end and center rowers position. Selfbailing and breakdown frame. 10 year warranty on the raft.

$500 seperates the two sizes: 13 foot vs. 14 foot
    100 lbs more capacity in the 14 foot

I'd appreciate feedback on whether it's worth the additional $500 and/or any experiences good or bad on the raft itself, handling, quality, etc...

Thanks, Mad Dog
    Last edited by Mad Dog-11; 01-20-2009 at 11:15. Reason: Mis spelling on the title

Default Super Puma / Super Duper Puma

Yep Yep! Nice boats Track Great same as the above mention boats give or take a spec or two and locaiton possible made.

Multi Day Fly out boat 14ft is enough room for 3 people and gear fishing. Little Limited on 13ft for such a deal.

if you main objective was to do day trips or over night the 13ft would meet your needs but if your multi day go bigger well worth the $500.00 that and it increase you to about 1800 lbs carrying capacity.

You Might also want to look at the 14ft AIRE TRIB as a suggestion although it may not handle exactly like a Super Duper Puma they do track well and are wider.

Hope the info Helps!

Blue Moose

Lightbulb Little more...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post
    I am considering purchasing the PAC 1300 or 1400 from Aire. I intend to use it on day floats and multiday floats. It will have the fly fishing platforms on each end and center rowers position. Selfbailing and breakdown frame. 10 year warranty on the raft.

$500 seperates the two sizes: 13 foot vs. 14 foot
    100 lbs more capacity in the 14 foot

I'd appreciate feedback on whether it's worth the additional $500 and/or any experiences good or bad on the raft itself, handling, quality, etc...

Thanks, Mad Dog
    To entertain more relevant commentary from your post... please present some more particulars on your Day-trippin' approach (prospective # folks, loads, rivers/streams, etc.) & what modes of transportation probable when headed out on Multi-day trips in addition to (for a second time) info concerning # folks, loads, duration, purpose, rivers/streams, etc.

So far --- I'd say you’re in the wrong (read as ‘off beam’ – pun intended here) boat with the least suitable frame based on the very general info you have listed. As far as the PAC 1300 (or AIRE SuperPuma) vs. the PAC 1400 (or AIRE SuperDuperPuma)... they may give the impression of being quite alike for your intention on a showroom floor, yet promisingly/convincingly unlike function once compared on-water.

Best bet will be to Try B4 U Buy --- I can organize this opportunity for you, facilitating the selection process and better decision making through a hands on experience.

Default AIRE Fishing Packages

Hey Mad Dog,

Both the PAC1300 and the PAC1400 are fast, performance oriented boats. The purpose designed frame packages, which come with both the PAC 1300 and 1400, make both the packages excellent platforms to base a fishing trip from, day or multi-day (as long as you pack judiciously). And if you decide to float a river reachable only by air you can always leave the fishing frame behind and take along a smaller, lighter rowing platform. If you want to talk more about both these boats, their pros and cons, give me a call here at Alaska Raft and kayak. Our numbers are 1.800.606.5950 or 1.907.561.7238.

By the way, we have one year old demos of both the PAC1300 and the PAC1400 for sale here at Alaska raft and Kayak, at very good prices.

I look forward to helping you,

Tracey Harmon
    Alaska Raft and Kayak

AR&K must be having a slow day for Brian and Tracey to both post at the same time.

Default I love mine

I just bought the PAC 1400 last fall and I love it. The casting platforms are extremely stable and well designed. A buddy of mine who owns a 16 ft drift boat floated on my maiden voyage with me. He started-out sneering about why I bought a raft and not a boat; how long's it going to take to set-up? is there really enough room? isn't it going to be too soft to stand in? etc, etc. By the end of the day, he must have told me at least two dozen times how impressed he was with the boat. I was equally impressed after my first day rowing it. They are as manueverable as a drift boat IMO. They track really well. They hold easily in current to get that second or third drift before moving through, and I was actually pretty impressed with the room available for gear storage. I was not impressed enough with this to encourage you to go with the 13 footer though; the more space the better IMO. I plan to take mine on a couple of good multiday trips this summer, and I already know we'll have to be careful with weight, but we'll just pack fewer steaks and more freeze dried food and whiskey instead of beer!

Overall, I am really happy with my decision and I can't wait to get this thing back on the water.

I highly recommend purchasing the 1400.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions as well. I've emailed aire and outcast a few times with various questions and have had nothing but great experiences.

Here's a link to the thread I started when I was first looking at this boat:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=38731

Default On quality

As far as I've learned from the research I've done and my somewhat limited experience with mine, these boats are manufactured the same as all of Aire's top of the line rafts. I also have a sportsman's 10 pontoon (manufactured overseas by outcast) which is absolutely the bottom of the line boat they make, and I have been impressed with it as well. I've had it three years and it is still in great shape. The bladders did pop on the way to the river (it was 0 or just above that morning. too cold for vinyl) but I called outcast and they sent me new bladders within a week; no charge; no problem. If they stand behind their bottom of the line boats this well, and the PAC boats are built so much better, I have no worries about quality.

AIRE/ OUTCAST is a top notch company IMO.

Default One more consideration...

I just thought of the one down side to this raft. Actually, it's not the raft, but the frame. The fly-fishing frame is absolutely perfect for day floats on the upper Kenai and similar rivers. The down side is that it is made from smaller diameter tubing than is standard on most other raft frames. This is not a problem until you want to add a motor mount or alter the frame for fly-outs. If I had it to do over again, I might look at the same raft from aire(super duper puma) and look at having ar&k build me a custom frame with casting platforms and lean bars, motor mount, etc.

I am planning to build a motor mount for my boat this winter and I don't think it's going to be too difficult, but this is something you might want to consider.

I plan to leave the front and rear casting platforms at home for fly-outs. They just strap to the rowing frame with cam straps, which makes it easy.

The Aire 2 bay rowing frame that comes as part of the fly-fishing frame does break down, but the two side bars are still pretty long and will be awkward to fly. I did give the dimensions to one charter service, however, and they assured me they could make it work with three guys, all of our gear and the boat, in one beaver, provided we kept our weight under 1250 lbs. (coincidentally right around max weight for the boat anyway!)

Hope this helps.

ok, I'm really done now

Default You have learned Well Grass-hopper

Scottsum

Love to see post like yours.

I know you spent a lot of time and effort in making your choice and I know you received a ton of emails from most of us who cruise the forum. Nice to see that you pass on valid information concerning your purchase and experiences.

Row on brother Row on!

Blue Moose

Thanks Scott, that link was fantastic. I appreciate the help. Mad Dog.

Thanks again, I did notice that the Aire frames were smaller diameter than the NRS type frames. I was wondering about mods, compatability, accessories, etc... with that set up. I will use it on the Kenai, as well as other road/air accesable rivers so I want to be able to adjust accordingly. Mad Dog

Thanks Tracey, I appreciate the advice and will give you guys a call.

I'll try to do better next time.... try to be more relevent for the masses .... try to stay on beam.... hope I can live up to your exacting standards..... you seem so understanding and helpfull I can't wait to use your services.... thanks for the reply.

Default Good advice

Moose, I'm bowing to you on the inside right now

Mad Dog, I was pretty impressed with the help I got from everyone on the forum in that thread. It ended-up being a great discussion and very helpful in making my decision.

If you found a deal on a demo from ar&k and money is a factor, I would not hesitate to buy the fly-fishing frame. I got a good deal on my boat, so I don't think I would make a different decision if I had it to do over again. The different diameter makes it a bit of a challenge for some things, but it is still the perfect frame for 99.9% of my needs.

If you want to give it a try, I'd be happy to take you out on the Kenai this spring in mine so you can see how the boat and frame would fit your needs.

Thanks, Scott I really appreciate the offer. I'm pretty confident this raft will meet 99% of my needs as well. Most of my trips will be road access, but I do have access to planes and pilots for a remote fly-in trip. I probably would not take it on much more than a 5 day trip with 2-3 adults total. This forum has been great, with only the occasional blunt or rude personality. Ironically, I saw some of the same "behavior" on your original thread
    If I don't have the boat by spring, then I will definately take you up on the practice run. If I have it, then you'll see me in my drift boat or the raft on the Kenai. Mad Dog

Default I think some of it's the medium.

Don't be too hard on folks. It's tough to see exactly how people intend certain comments by our interpretation of the words on the screen. There are a lot of good folks on these forums. Some of them have really good writing skills, and some of them don't, but we're all here for basically the same reasons. Without seeing body language and facial expressions, it's impossible to see how comments are meant.

Good luck on the boat purchase. If you do buy the 1400, I know you'll be happy with it.

If you want to try mine out, just send me a p.m.

Good luck and I'll see you on the river,

Scott

Default Spring float

Thanks, Scott I really appreciate the offer. I'm pretty confident this raft will meet 99% of my needs as well. Most of my trips will be road access, but I do have access to planes and pilots for a remote fly-in trip. I probably would not take it on much more than a 5 day trip with 2-3 adults total. This forum has been great, with only the occasional blunt or rude personality. Ironically, I saw some of the same "behavior" on your original thread
    If I don't have the boat by spring, then I will definately take you up on the practice run. If I have it, then you'll see me in my drift boat or the raft on the Kenai. Mad Dog
    MD,

Are you aware of the spring forum float? There are a couple of polls at the top of the rafting forum where you can weigh in on your choice of dates and location. We should have a final decision on both of those pretty quickly. Right now it looks like the Matanuska. Anyway whether you have your boat by then or not, there will be plenty of boats to row and ride. I have three myself that I can bring along. Should be a great time, with your choice of overnight or day trip. If we get Jim Strutz to go (he looks like he's going) the guy is great with the food.

Anyway it would be a great time to get to know some of the forum folks too. I agree with Scott; sometimes things come across on the Internet in a different way than the writer intended. So don't take it too personally; I don't believe it was intended that way at all.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ok, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt. My first impression was... shall we say... "not positive".
    I saw the spring float forum. I even cast a vote, inadvertantly to the wrong river, then I couldn't change it, lol. I've done a lot of white water rafting in my past. Now, I'm mostly interested in rivers I can fish. I don't beleive there is much in the way of fish in the Matanuska, but I may be wrong. It would be a great trip though. Thanks for the advice. Mad Dog

Ok, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt. My first impression was... shall we say... "not positive".
    I saw the spring float forum. I even cast a vote, inadvertantly to the wrong river, then I couldn't change it, lol. I've done a lot of white water rafting in my past. Now, I'm mostly interested in rivers I can fish. I don't beleive there is much in the way of fish in the Matanuska, but I may be wrong. It would be a great trip though. Thanks for the advice. Mad Dog
    Just to clarify and then I'll shut up (don't wanna hijack your thread). We're trying to choose a river that allows us to focus on floating, not fishing. Sounds silly I know, but most of us are fishing addicts and we wanted this to be more of a social occasion, with some learning from each other. So the Mat is a good choice- lots of huge gravel bars for camping and some good water to run. We had to get a permit to do this on the Kenai last year- amazing. Anyway it's before fishing really kicks in, so it should be a great icebreaker for what I hope will be a nice summer of fishing.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Odd gulkana?

I think BlueMoose proposed the possibility of loosely planning a later trip on the Gulkana for those who couldn't/ didn't want to do the Mat float. That might be a possibility still too. A few of us could get together for a fishing trip later in the summer.

I'd be interested.

I'm still hoping to do the Mat trip as well, but it looks like it's going to be my anniversary weekend so we'll have to see.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast