Thread: Silverstreak Boats, Anchorage AK

Default Silverstreak Boats, Anchorage AK

What's the deal on these guys? Looking at thier boat called the Rivermaster. How does it compare to Wooly AK?

Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

looked on there website and didnt see a rivermaster.

Default silver streak

I do not have a bout built by them, but I have had extensive work done to my boat by them and they did a good job at a fair price. I believe there boats are top quality..

My boat is glass, but I have a topper done by them. They don't mess around, it's good quality in everything they do.

I had them make some seats for me for a previous river boat. There quality is first rate.
    Tennessee

Default Wooldridge Alaskan

Often imitated never duplicated

Yeah, that is what I am learning... Woolys seem to be the way to go.. Resale, customer service, and performance seem to be all top notch.

Ben at Silver Streak is generous with his time answering questions about river boats. He once gave me a tour of his V-8 powered hovercraft he kept in his shop. Ben even started it and described how it operated. I met a fellow named Andy who lived five years in the bush and needed a boat for daily summer transportation. He was very knowledgeable about river boating. When he decided to downscale from a big inboard jet boat, he chose an 18 foot Rivermaster. Andy was very pleased with how well it worked for him. I have always heard that Silver Streak boats are sturdy (and so a bit heavier than competing boats of the same length). I think that Silver Streak is an authorized repair shop for warranty work on Wooldridge boats. Ben has a reputation for trustworthiness.

Default customer service

The owner there (not sure of his name) treated me great. All I was looking for were the rocket launcher rod holders. He took the time to show me how they made them and made arrangements to ship them to me when they were done. Didn't take long and was less expensive than I thought. I'm glad he waited on me, the girl up front was more interested in doing her nails.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    Ben at Silver Streak is generous with his time answering questions about river boats. He once gave me a tour of his V-8 powered hovercraft he kept in his shop. Ben even started it and described how it operated. I met a fellow named Andy who lived five years in the bush and needed a boat for daily summer transportation. He was very knowledgeable about river boating. When he decided to downscale from a big inboard jet boat, he chose an 18 foot Rivermaster. Andy was very pleased with how well it worked for him. I have always heard that Silver Streak boats are sturdy (and so a bit heavier than competing boats of the same length). I think that Silver Streak is an authorized repair shop for warranty work on Wooldridge boats. Ben has a reputation for trustworthiness.
    Thats one thing you've got to admit is cool, having the "factory" warranty right here in your own backyard. I've also got to second that I've known Ben and his standards for quality for decades now, he's helped me out on numerous occasions like I'm sure he's helped tons of others.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Often imitated never duplicated

not much of that boat in the water

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    not much of that boat in the water
    I have owned a Silver Streak for over 10 years first rate boat, the thing you need to ck. on is how many of the wooldridge boats Ben and his employes repair each year as he is the warranty repair station, I have spent some time with Wooldridge boats in very rough waters and the design of the hull is such it spends more time sucking air them moving forward not so with the Silver Streak.

Ben put the new bottom on my sea ark. His work is great. One thing I like about his shop it's no bull**** shop he will only do it correctly or you can take somewhere else.

Second Ben has fixed every make of boat. Almost i bet. You have question about quality of boat you thinking of buying hell will tell what break. Stop by look at his yard there all kinds of different boats getting welding done.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I have owned a Silver Streak for over 10 years first rate boat, the thing you need to ck. on is how many of the wooldridge boats Ben and his employes repair each year as he is the warranty repair station, I have spent some time with Wooldridge boats in very rough waters and the design of the hull is such it spends more time sucking air them moving forward not so with the Silver Streak.
    To each his own because if one boat worked for us all there would only be one boat manufacturer. It is hard to take the number of wooldridges in the shop as a sign of them breaking more than the rest considering about 1/2 of all the boats I see on the river are wooldridge boats.

I own a 19 footer built by Silverstreak, I bought the boat from the original owner when it was a year old. I liked the design because it was a shallow deadrise at the transom and a decent V in the front, so is reasonably capable of handling rougher water than a typical constant deadrise hull. It is very similar to a Wooldridge Extra-plus. Mine has the 1/8" bottom which is too light IMO. SS will use 3/16" upon request.

The boat did not have a tunnel when I bought it, I discussed this with SS and had the boat delivered to have a tunnel installed. The work on the tunnel was not performed as discussed and it leaked when I finally got it in the water (SS did not rig the boat so I didnt know about the leak until several weeks after I picked it up). The welding on the tunnel was not quality work, maybe it was a bad day for someone, that happens. Its what you do after that, that counts.

The way the tunnel exited the transom was not done the way we had discussed and it was cause for a lot of grief, it became a bit of a project to get it sorted out and working properly. I ended up learning a lot more about tunnels than I ever planned on. This was not a rigging or set up issue.

The boat works very well now and it is a very capable water craft, I use both prop and jet, it can carry a substainsal load, handles well, it is as good as any similar size-type boat in skinny water. Generally speaking it is a solid well built boat.......would I buy another? PM me on that one...............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR