Thread: A new .58

Default A new .58

Well I finally managed to get my hands on a .58. I visited the gun show in Wasilla this past sunday and found one of the two choices I had in mind for my first blackpowder firearm.

I had been looking for a either a Pedersoli Kodiak Double or a T/C Big Boar. A fellow had two Big Boar .58s for sale, one used and one apparently unfired. the only marks on the "unfired" rifled looked to be from handling, the bluing inside the muzzle was as clean and bright as the rest of the outer portions of the barrel.

I have the Gun Digest guide to blackpowder and as soon as I got home I downloaded the T/C owner manual for the firearm for references. My current resources aside, is there any items, or knowledge, any of you would like to share that are essential, or helpfull, for a newbie in this discipline ?

Also I intend to purchase a .32 or .36 for target, plinking and small game.

Thanks for your input.

Congratulations on the Big Boar!!!!! I saw both of those rifles there and the one you got is a BEAUTY!!!! I looked for one for a few years and it never worked out. If I had seen it a week ago, I'd have bought one of them myself. My only advice is just go have fun!!!! Just be careful- it is very addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Well I finally managed to get my hands on a .58. I visited the gun show in Wasilla this past sunday and found one of the two choices I had in mind for my first blackpowder firearm.

I had been looking for a either a Pedersoli Kodiak Double or a T/C Big Boar. A fellow had two Big Boar .58s for sale, one used and one apparently unfired. the only marks on the "unfired" rifled looked to be from handling, the bluing inside the muzzle was as clean and bright as the rest of the outer portions of the barrel.

I have the Gun Digest guide to blackpowder and as soon as I got home I downloaded the T/C owner manual for the firearm for references. My current resources aside, is there any items, or knowledge, any of you would like to share that are essential, or helpfull, for a newbie in this discipline ?

Also I intend to purchase a .32 or .36 for target, plinking and small game.

Thanks for your input.
    Congratulations! That's a highly regarded rifle.

I've got two 58's (a GRRW Hawken and a custom barreled TC) and two hunting pards have one each (a TC Hawken with a GM drop in barrel, and an older CVA), so obviously we're fans of 58's even if none of them are Big Boars. I'm betting that the .570 ball is going to be the one for that, along with a .015 or .018 patch. You might have to start out with the .015's until the bore wears in a little if you got the new one, but in the end the .018's are likely to be right. You might find that .570 balls are real tight in general, but that will lead to better accuracy overall in most cases.

My GRRW has a "choked" bore that's so tight at the muzzle that a bare .570 won't even drop down past the muzzle if it has any irregularities. I had to go to a .562 ball, and now it's really happy. I've started using .562's in my custom TC as a matter of convenience, and it doesn't seem to mind the smaller ball at all. I have to say that it's lots easier to start them in the TC.

The hunting pard with the older CVA hunts with it but shoots it very little between seasons. He's perfectly happy with .570's.

The one with the drop-in GM barrel is just now breaking it in. We were just shooting today and it's rifling is so sharp that it's shredding patches right now and accuracy is suffering. We tried various combos of patches, lubes and powders, but never got a complete patch back from firing (.562 balls). He's in the process of casting some .575's, which are likely too big. But that will be a test to see if .018 patches are just too thin for a .562 ball in his bore. I've recommended fire lapping to get rid of the sharp edges sooner, but he can likely do the same thing with lots of shooting. My 50 cal GPR was pretty hard on patches at first, but normal wear took care of the problem after around 200 shots.

For charges, none of us are pushing the envelope. I'm shooting 80 grains of Goex 3f in the TC and 90 grains of the same in the GRRW, though I've gone up to 120 grains of 2f Goes in both of them with no problems. The GR drop-in barrel is being fed 90 grains of 3f 777, and the CVA is getting 90 grains of 2f AP or 80 grains of 3f AP. All of us could go higher, but there's just no need for deer and the casual shooting we're doing.

If I can ask, how much did you pay for your Big Boar. And I have to wonder if the second one is still up for sale.

I paid $500.00 for it. It seemed reasonable to me for an unfired and out of production .58 from a quality manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    I paid $500.00 for it. It seemed reasonable to me for an unfired and out of production .58 from a quality manufacturer.
    That's a very reasonable price for what's basically a new gun. I've seen them with lots of wear go for more than that. Heck, brand new TC Hawkens are now retailing for around $650.

Nice find. I love my big boar. I have been looking for another for awhile just to see what they go for. Not able to find one. I didnt go the gunshow. Good thing. I might have had to make a withdral!

I got mine in a trade and for what I traded I got a good deal I guess. To be honest Ive always wondered.

The .015 patch with a .570 roundball with around 80 to 100 grains of 2f is what I like to shoot.

Ive played around with the great plains conicals by hornady. My gun shoots those pretty well also. Those have some heft. Im too lazy to look at the box but I believe one type weights 425 grains and the other 510!

Just get the normal accesories. Ball puller, cleaning jag ect. Also look into upgrading your ramrod to a synthetic one.

The .32 or .36 gun is another tough find. The crockett by traditions would be a good one. There is also the cherokee(32) or seneca (36) by T/C but those are tough to find also. Really for a production small bore pedersoli or traditions is about your only go of it.

You can visit http://www.avsia.com/tvm/ or http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com and maybe call them up to get a qoute on a "in the white" or finished gun. I bet you can get one of these in percussion in the white for a tad more or the same cost as a pedersoli or the traditions for that matter. Those europeian guns are pretty pricey now

The Cherokee is at the top of my list for the small bore, at least for now, but as you say, they are tough to locate.

I will just keep an eye out and hopefully come by a good example by May or June. It will give my wife something else to shoot as well and perhaps pique her interests in muzzle loading.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out !